HybridZ

Tall people and 240s

ZQ8Dude

6'7", 230lbs, 38in inseam.

It blows my mind that I can fit beautifully into a tiny, 40 year old Z, but couldn't drive a 370 to save my life, even though from the outside it dwarfs the 240 by comparison. In fact, the only other Z that I'm reasonably comfortable in are the Z31's. Interestingly, I can't even drive a 280Z. The revised door handle doesn't leave enough room between it and the steering wheel for my knee when I try to operate the clutch. Of course, the door handle could always be removed.

A few tips for more room in a 240...

1. Get a smaller steering wheel.

2. The seats are held in place by 4 bolts that go down through the rails on the seats, into platforms on the floor of the car. Each bolt has 2 plastic spacers that raise the seat off the platforms. Remove one spacer from both sides on the rear mounting bolts. This will tilt the rear of the lower seat cushion down, and slide you further back in the seat, plus give more thigh support. Removing all of the rear spacers would be even more helpful, except the seat back will be reclined too much, and the tilt mechanism doesn't have enough adjustment forward to compensate. I haven't taken the time to figure out how to remedy that yet.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

• 3 weeks later...

Lol this is what I get for not being active on hybrid for months, missing a thread that applies to me.

I'm 6'9", and fit great in a Z (with a smaller steering wheel and shortened turn signal stalk). It really surprises me how much room there is in these cars.

Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead :P

• 9 months later...

6'7", 230lbs, 38in inseam.

It blows my mind that I can fit beautifully into a tiny, 40 year old Z, but couldn't drive a 370 to save my life, even though from the outside it dwarfs the 240 by comparison. In fact, the only other Z that I'm reasonably comfortable in are the Z31's. Interestingly, I can't even drive a 280Z. The revised door handle doesn't leave enough room between it and the steering wheel for my knee when I try to operate the clutch. Of course, the door handle could always be removed.

A few tips for more room in a 240...

1. Get a smaller steering wheel.

2. The seats are held in place by 4 bolts that go down through the rails on the seats, into platforms on the floor of the car. Each bolt has 2 plastic spacers that raise the seat off the platforms. Remove one spacer from both sides on the rear mounting bolts. This will tilt the rear of the lower seat cushion down, and slide you further back in the seat, plus give more thigh support. Removing all of the rear spacers would be even more helpful, except the seat back will be reclined too much, and the tilt mechanism doesn't have enough adjustment forward to compensate. I haven't taken the time to figure out how to remedy that yet.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Does anyone know if this applies (spacer trick) to the 280Z as well? My '78 seats sit a LOT higher than my old '73's did. I swapped in a smaller diameter Nardi steering wheel & still have some knee clearance issues (I'm 6'5" & 270). I'm waiting on a 30mm steering wheel spacer to bring it a little closer to me & give (hopefully) more leg clearance. I have the seat all the way back & reclined fairly far back & it's still pretty tight!

Im 6'2" and 185 and i fit just fine in my 280z but the dam pop up sunroofs seals right in my headroom. Thank god for reclining seats. I just would wanna be in a rollover accident talk about sardine tin lol. But i love my Z sold the 240z and got a 280z :D. only bad thing is leaning forward to look at streetlights...

stop further behind them, works for me. i'm 6'3" and a whopping 185lbs in full dress w/helmet! don't need to put my seat all the way back and room for the helmet as well. i did add a spacer to bring my wheel a bit closer [i have a longer inseam for my height, 35"]

only bad thing is leaning forward to look at streetlights...

Edited by 1 tuff z