HybridZ

going soild axle build thread

240zRacer

The car is going threw some major changes soon and while i spent allot of time and money making the independent set up bullet proof the new set up will be shooting for deep 8s if not 7s so this requires major reworking of the frame and unibody and rear set up, as the car gets cut into and things progress i will post pics. we are looking to start the surgery in a couple weeks. On a side note I will be sure to offer every thing from my rear set up on these forums before i put any of it on ebay. so any one looking to beef up their set up start saving your pennys and watch for a official for sale thread in a few weeks. some of the parts i will be selling are a RT style r200 front mount, a aluminum r200 conversion mustache bar with polyurethane mounts, polyurethane control arm bushings, the control arms them selves and the hubs, modern motor sports Billet 280ZXT CV Adapters 70-78z, modern motor sports Billet 4340 280Z Stub Axles in 4 lug pattern, DSS stage 5 900 hp axles( 81-83 280zxt style used when converting a 240 to cv with the modern motor sports kit ) and the adapters to mate to the modern motor sports CV adapters. I also have various r200 rear housings and parts, including housing with 3.70 ring and pinion with the larger ring bolts( no diff installed) a open r200 diff with the small bolt holes, a complete r200 housing with 3.54 gears and a freshly rebuilt CLSD with the spacers removed and the clutches and steels added ( the ring and pinion make a whine on deceleration ) I also have the highly sought after aluminum rear drums as well. any way this isnt my official for sale thread but i wanted to put it out there so that when the time comes you guys can have first dibs on anything you might think you would want. I will be willing to part every thing out or make some one a deal the complete package. any way stay tuned for pics and updates as they happen.

Edited by 240zRacer

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the delay , the shop my car is at has been back logged but now things are moving along, i will start posting pics this coming weekend, on a side note due to the rear axle being a different lug pattern i will also be selling a very rare set of rims for a 240z, so if your looking for a amazing set of rims for your 240 that no one else has and that fit perfect let me know. i can email photos of them , they are 16x7 and the perfect offset for a 240z front and rear. also the rest of the rear end parts will be up for sale shortly including the custom 900 hp DSS axles and modern motor sports stubs and cv conversion :)

How about some details about the car for those of us (including me) that don't know what you're running? I can't wait to see the pictures, I love seeing work in progress.

the car is still a work in progress, my goals are a car that can be driven on trips and around town on a daily basis but yet go to the track on weekends and have some fun. i was running low 10s on the r200 set up but i plan on adding a bunch more power so i am going to solid axle.

well the old stuff is out and the cutting and measuring has began, sorry no photos yet my daughter has lost my camera so it wasnt with when i visited the shop. as you all saw i posted the old rear end set up stuff for sale and the bulk sale is pending, however dont feel left out just yet i have some very nice tires and rims still here i think i could be persuaded to sell, but since i cant post a for sale thread yet as im not a donating member long enough PM me if your interested in a set pair of rota rb with drag slicks and or a rare set of ROH rims and toyo tires. they will all be on ebay this week but i figured i would offer to you guys since i personally know how hard it is to get nice rims that fit right on these cars :)

• 1 month later...

update: more progress finally, its been going slow due to money issues, i have been waiting over 2 weeks now for the guy from here to send payment for the stuff he bought so i can finish the car. as soon as he sends the pay pal i will be able to get the last items i need. any way here are pics of how far its come. the pics are not in order in any way. the rear should be bullet proof its a 8.8/9 inch hybrid using a 8.8 main housing with 9 inch ends and moser 31 spline 9 inch axles, im using a detroit true track helical diff and the moser billet pinion flange should have no more rear end issues for a long long time. the brakes are 9 inch drums for a ford truck and are massive compared to the stock drums so it should stop even better. as you can see in the pics the car has had a full frame welded in now as well using 2x2 steel beams. its going to be a 4 link set up and the stock gas tank should bolt right back in the stock location. the tubs and rear flooring should allow me to use the stock carpet over with a little trimming. over all it should be hard to tell its converted from out side the car once done.

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

Edited by 240zRacer

ok another update the car is home so i can finish the odds and ends that i dont need a full blown shop to do, today i carpeted the rear of the car, i was able to use some of the oem carpet but i had to make a few custom pieces as well, here are a few more pics of the finished under side and hatch area. the rear brakes are WAY to power full they are massive truck drums and lock up well before the fronts so i have to install a valve to let me lower strength of the rears a little. any way here you can see the hatch before carpet and after and the under neath. its kinda hard to tell the car is back halfed from the out side and even looking in the hatch only Z guys will notice the strut towers are gone.

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

• 5 months later...

well the old tired ls1 finally has to come out the oil pump quit, lucky for me it did it while i was warming up in my driveway so i was able to shut it off right away, but rather then rebuild the ls1 i decided to go a different route. this is what showed up yesterday.

img101.jpg

its a scoggin dickey 2005 Cadillac ctsv 405 hp ls6 :) it will be a direct replacement for my ls1 once i swap a few items around and should gain me around 100 hp over the old tired ls1. i was planning on going auto for this season to get me into the 9s but now the auto swap money went to the crate motor so i will be six speed for the next season but i should still get nines, i was running 10.2s with the ls1. to be honest though the thought of selling the 240 has been talked about by me and my wife as we are moving into a new home next month and we could use the money, but if i keep it i will definitely keep posting updates here for every one to read.

Edited by 240zRacer

Sweet set up, hope you end up keeping the car and keeping us all up to date with videos.

yeah they are gsr leathers, i have a walk around video of the car after i finished the interior, i will post it in a minute.

here yah go, this was before the solid axle swap right after i redid the interior over and put all new carpet in.

Edited by 240zRacer

• 4 weeks later...