HybridZ

ModernS30's 1972 Datsun 240z

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my exhaust kit from Mandrel Bending Solutions (MBS) They have a website and they are on ebay, I purchased my kit on ebay. You can buy aluminized, 409, or 309 stainless. Slip fit or not, variation of sizes and bends or a kit like mine. Aluminized 3" was 170 shipped to my door in under 5 days!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well it has been a long while since I have posted any kind of updates. I am on my second L28, the first one through a rocker arm. Now this new one is telling me knock knock jokes. I am going to head to the Pull-A-Part tomorrow with hopes that one of the two 86 z31's will be a turbo. If not, maybe an N/A VG30 until I can get the turbo stuff? We will see.

• 2 months later...

Wow, looking back on this project where it was and where it is now is very impressive in my eyes. It still has a long way to come but I've learned so much.

Well, Here is what I have going on now. I picked up a bunch of L28 parts. I've already got the blown head N42/N47 setup, the Rod knock F54/P79. Now I am adding to my collection of crap. I've got an abused N47 block with the matching N42 head that came from it, these will be getting scrapped. I also got a rebuild F54 turbo short block. I was told new bearings, rings, and ARP rod bolts. It included a full gasket set with it and the P90a Hydro head. The head is untouched but I am planning to take it apart and give it a good cleaning as well as installing the ford Viton valve seals. With all of the parts I got the turbo ECU, 3 AFM's, both N/A and Turbo intake, the N47 was a bare block, but I do have the crank. I am planning on making most of it scrap metal as it isn't really worth my time to sell it, I will likely get more for scrap. I also got a Turbo 5 speed with it, supposed 5th was grinding, case seems to have been separated already. I am going to pull it apart and check the gears and things. If they are alright I guess I will be learning how to rebuild a transmission, if the gears are junk I might just make it scrap.

I am planning on doing this the right way this time, I am working with the rebuild short block I have. I am going to go through with dies and clean/fix all of the thread on the entire engine. As mentioned earlier I am going to give the head a good cleaning and new valve seals. I am planning on using ARP head studs, I am also going to install a new oil pump and a full new timing set. I also plan on replacing all of the bolts, high grade where they are required and stainless everywhere that I can use them. Yes, it will be more expensive and take more time, but I would rather spend the money and take the time now than to deal with the issues later.

Here is a picture you can see the heads, short block and boxes of parts in the back.

shortblockandparts.jpg

Here is another small update on the build.

I organized a scrap and a keep section a little bit more. Also confirmed that the transmission I got is for sure a 5 speed. I purchased an engine stand and got everything all put together and the short block is up on the stand now as well.

I did a few small things with the short block on the stand, I took off the old timing guides and tensioner then cleaned up some of the gunk off the front of the block, not finished, just a little clean up job for now. I also removed the left hand engine mount and the lower alternator bracket from the block. I am going to be painting all of these parts black. I began to clean up the block some so I can get it prepped and painted up.

Although I purchased the engine already rebuild I am still going to go through and make sure every bolt it torqued to spec per FSM to make sure I don't get the engine together then have catastrophic failure.

My next purchase is likely going to be a metric tap set to go through and clean/repair all of the threads. Hopefully I will sell a few more of my extra parts soon so I can purchase the timing kit and head studs for the engine.

Current plans are still to pull apart the head and give it a good cleaning, my friend wants to polish it, but I feel like that would clash with my plans for how I want to paint it so we will see if that ends up happening or not. I am going to put upgrade Viton valve seals from a german ford 2.9L v6 as long as I do pull the head apart. Besides that most of this is going to be just cleaning up the engine, acquiring the parts to finish it, and putting it together. I also have future plans for a different fuel cell, I feel like I did a very half assed job with what I have now and the system I plan to run down the road is a major upgrade.

On to the pictures:

All of the crap I have, box closest to the garage door is the scrap, you can also see my N47/N42 combo in the back that blew the head up. (Tail tank is from my fathers sprint car)

l28crap.jpg

This is simple just the short block as it sits on the engine stand right now.

shortblockontheenginest.jpg