HybridZ

ModernS30's 1972 Datsun 240z

WooHoo. One of the doors is all taken apart so I can put it into the other shell. I am just waiting on the paint to dry on the other shell. Then it will go on the car. Small steps for now so I don't have to spend really any money. Getting the small stuff done so that I can just finish this baby up and go!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relay did not fix my issues. I am going to stop screwing around and get Mega-squirt now. I still have absolutely no idea what I am doing but hey, when I go turbo it will be much easier. ;) I am trying to decided if I want an assembled or un-assembled kit. The price difference is really huge, I can't afford it either way so I am just going to have to figure it out though. This car is getting nowhere really fast. It would not surprise me if by the time I actually drive the car, it is turbo. I really need to just take a break from it as it is beginning to get in the way of school. I don't have time for life at the moment. Working 6 days a week, as well as going to school, basically high school AND college at the same time. Things get crazy rather fast. One way or another I will get this car driving. I am probably going to start ripping the factory FI harness out soon. No need for it anymore I guess. Just going to be in the way. I really shouldn't have bought those wheels either. :(

This sounds obvious, but have you gone through the FSM and FI bible and performed the troubleshooting as described? That would be a whole lot simpler than trying to put in a standalone system. The truth is, if you can't make it run now, it probably won't run when you try to install MS. I'm not trying to put you down, but maybe you need to step back and focus on other priorities right now. Believe me, some time away from a project will really help out in all aspects!

Also I still have that brand new fuel injection relay if your still interested also I agree with leon Just go over the FSM like three times and figure it out this way first, You will gain some knowledge and it could help you in the end by giving you some experience and give you some time to save up for the megasquirt. Maybe someone can help you out Have you replaced the Injectors? sometimes they can be stuck when you buy them new, Have you checked the Fuel Injection resistor under the driver inspection cowl? I'm pretty sure they play a part in the pulsing of the injectors If you need those I have two pairs I could give to you cheap. Also the FSM will help you out on everything that could be associated with the ECU, Make sure you have power going to the ECU also.

Edited by 19752802+2

I have gone over it. If I keep replacing stuff going down the line. I am just going to rack up the $$ for mega squirt in used 70's junk. :lol: Its expensive relay after expensive relay and the AFM and crap. The way I found out the first relay was bad was going through the FSM. I don't have this FI bible or whatever. My fuel pump isn't kicking out, which I believe is some home linked to the AFM? Then my injectors are not pulsing. I am not going to lie, I would have no idea what I was doing with the Stand alone, but does it look like I have known what I was doing through this entire project? It is how I learn. I may go through it a few more times but I find it being a compared to having a brand new wiring harness all clean and labeled. I would know where everything is and it wouldn't be a horrid nissan harness. Not sure if you ever had a nissan harness apart but they spice crap like hack job style.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats on getting it running, what was causing it not to run? I still have a few things left to do to mine till it runs or will be on the ground but it sure does feel better to have it running.

Sadly to admit. First I found I wasn't getting spark after I started the car the first time. It had started I assure you. I had a small fire issue, gasoline sprayed from a cracked injection hose, backfire, fire. Put it out, in doing so I fried the coil. Replaced that, but wired it backwards. I went searching for issues. I found my EFI relay bad, I replaced that, so the ECU was then getting power. I had wired the coil backwards though, so the injectors weren't getting pulse signal. The sign that the EFI relay was bad is that the Fuel pump was no kicking on, it did after replacement. So after I got the coil wired the right direction, it runs. The little condenser is still missing, still bothers me a bit. I will live.

I need to get an electric fan, brake calipers, waiting on my differential (GM trans) mount, finish putting the rear end together. A few plugs on the coolant lines. I should then be able to get this beast on the road. Lots of small details. I just finished my custom throttle cable say 5 minutes ago. :D

Sadly to admit. First I found I wasn't getting spark after I started the car the first time. It had started I assure you. I had a small fire issue, gasoline sprayed from a cracked injection hose, backfire, fire.

You too? Haha. We had the timing wrong, it backfired through the carb, air filter caught fire.

You too? Haha. We had the timing wrong, it backfired through the carb, air filter caught fire.

WOW! Yea, these buggers must like fire.... :lol:

I must say, I don't think I would have ever learned as much as I have or been able to get it done with the quickness that I have without Hybridz.org. B)

Wind Shield in, Intake piping done. Heater hoses on, vacuum leaks capped/plugged. Need to fill it up with coolant antifreeze mix. I need to get a fan. I got my poly mount for the diff today. I need to put that in. I am going to get brake calipers tomorrow. I need to get my bearing seals the rest of the way in there. I have Friday off so I will most likely be getting majority of the work done Friday night. Exhaust is still going to be a huge deal to get done. :D I really hope I can drive it by my birthday.

• 2 weeks later...