HybridZ

ModernS30's 1972 Datsun 240z

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brakebracket.jpg

brackbracket2.jpg

Interresting. What brakes are you thinking these brackets will be for? If you're thinking of the same brake conversion that places like motorsports already has brackets for, then you're just duplicating work already done. Cheaper to buy the motorsports brackets, or some off Ebay. If you're building your own, the I'd recommend using at lease 3 of the mounting bolts around the base. There's a lot of liabilty here, so really you should be careful, it's more than just your life riding on your brakes.

Phar

I understand that. It is a bracket for 82-83 280zx calipers and rotors, I was probably going to do a bit of redesign working with another local guy to get just a set of prototypes made. I think we decided that using only 2 holes was not the best engineering practice (the plate is 1/2inch thick there) and that to avoid removing the stub axles we will utilize 3 holes instead of just two or all 4. My planning and doing the work myself will actually keep the cost down, rather than spending 165 dollars plus shipping on brackets I will spend near 80 a pair if all goes right. Free setup costs and cheaper CNC time with the guy I am working with. Material cost is the only big killer in it. Other than that, I will be 50/50 splitting cost on materials and machine work on 2 sets to split between me and the other said person.

On another note, I got new hex head hardware for the injectors, love Lowes, the stock m5x.8x30 Hex head bolts apparently. Just waiting on finishing up a trade deal as I need 2 more injector holders (one is broken and I apparently lost the other) so then I can pretty much wrap up the fuel system. Still need to run lines but it shouldn't be to difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress but making some. Got old bushings out of the mustache bar. Quite enjoyed burning them out. I will probably get the new poly ones in tomorrow and get the diff in tomorrow night. I need to get some Lucas LSD oil for the new diff. I am having fuel issues. Was having spark issues. Fixed that, now I am not getting fuel for some reason. Pump is wired straight to battery. I know it works there. I have fuel at the rail. It has to be the injectors aren't pulsing. Not going to be fun if I have to trace the damn wires all the way back. I should just go with MS and call it a day but I don't have the money right now. I am already fighting to get the thing driving in the first place. Either way, pictures of me being a pyro in a minute. :twisted:

Kinser

Ok guys, I fought through the lack of motivation and stuff. I found out why my injectors aren't firing, or at least its a huge step. It seems somewhere along the lines my EFI relay has gone bad. It was more than a pain going through all the wires. I don't know why it would go bad when I just swap over wiring. So it has me scared that its not really what is wrong. Then again, I just swap over everything from a running car and ended with a car that the injectors weren't pulsing. Question is, where the hell do I get an EFI relay for a 1977 Datsun 280z??!?! I matched the pins on the connectors. Power is going in where it needs to and not coming out where it is supposed to. Showing me that I don't have power going to pin 10, which is the ECU main power from what I understand from the FSM. If you can help me on the EFI relay, let me know.

Ok guys, hit another issue. Relay is hard to find and seems to be rather expensive, around 150 dollars for a new one. Now the question is, should I spend the money on the relay. Or should I buy MS3 and a laptop, and all the wiring and upgrade my ignition system while I am at it. I really don't have the money, it would take longer to do. It is something I will do later down the road is the issue. Seems like I am wasting money on the relay to get rid of it later. At the same time, spending the extra money on the crap for MS doesn't seem smart when I have other items I need.

I bought a brand new 75' EFI relay when they were still available and I still have it around haven't ever used it, I think I have an extra one from a 76 too but I'm not sure if that one works, If you do some research and the relays I have will work for you send me a pm and we can work something out. Also another thing to check if you haven't already is check the Injector resistors, they are on the driver side under the inspection lid, It shows you how to check them in the FSM I believe.

Good luck.

I bought a brand new 75' EFI relay when they were still available and I still have it around haven't ever used it, I think I have an extra one from a 76 too but I'm not sure if that one works, If you do some research and the relays I have will work for you send me a pm and we can work something out. Also another thing to check if you haven't already is check the Injector resistors, they are on the driver side under the inspection lid, It shows you how to check them in the FSM I believe.

Good luck.

Sent you a PM.

Build it right the first time or youll rebuild it later, and cost you more $$ just use common sense and remember your pockets arent deep enough to screw up or "redo" anything.

-Jeff

I actually decided that I don't want to mess with mega squirt on a pointless engine to build. For now I am just going to get a relay and get the car where I can drive and enjoy it. Where while doing so I can compile the parts to do something that makes more sense with the car. Instead of dumping money into an engine that I am to limited with. If I was building it right the first time, it would at least have an l28et, not a completely stock l28e with 130k on it. ;) Sounds really stupid, is really stupid, but either way. Its how its happening. I am going to stick straight with what I was doing. I was on track with the build and then this relay got me back off track.

there you go....now remember there are many who just add the turbo and megasquirt and have great results, so that is something you should keep in mind as well. Dont let a timeline get in the way of building it to what you want and within a budget, especially if it isnt your daily driver and you have the space to work on it. I cannot stress that enough to people. The motor does have limits but all motors do, and like we were talking about last night, you should think of the end goal and what you want that to be and go for it (but stick to the plan). Obviously if it was to get this car running and enjoyable then boom youve got it with a relay, but also think about the gains that you could have with megasquirt (even if it is a stock motor). Remember you can always sell that off later or use it on another buid down the road, but adding a turbo to that already megqsquirted N/A (after you get bored with it or just want to liven it up) isnt all that bad of an idea. Plus while you are driving and enjoying it you can be saving money/parts for the added turbo build down the line.

I will probably go mega squirt before turbo, mainly because I can compile parts now and if I have a base map loaded and everything wires. Its a matter of a days work swapping it in and out. I really just want to drive the car. Space is actually very limited for me. There is a race car that needs to go in the garage next to it. Only one issue. There isn't any room next to it... I bought a relay. I am going to focus on getting it together and drivable. Also, while the brake brackets I have work. People seem more interested in ones that are set at a 45 degree angle from the strut tube and utilizing 3 bolt holes. They are currently in redesign and I will have a prototype cut form plastic as soon as possible. (really hoping that will be end of next week)

Well nothing is working out how I want it to right now. I am plain and simple not going to spend more than 30 dollars to run a car on a basic factory EFI system from the 1970's. :lol: That would pretty much be a huge joke. I paid a guy 25 for the relay on ebay but he is apparently refusing to contact me. I am going to file a grievance tomorrow night if I haven't heard from him by then. Other than that, it looks like I am in the market for MegaSquirt. I am probably just going to by 3 as I may as well have the latest and greatest. Damn this is killing me. Set back after set back. Why didn't I just do a SBC swap? :P

*something something something* Needs a RB26DETT *something something something* I just want to keep true to Nissan... *something something something dark-side*

Who said that? I am pretty sure I said 1uz... then said no because a bell housing from a manual is to expensive for me to bother with that engine. LOL