HybridZ

How to steal a S30

Hey guys, new member here, been a reader for a while though. You guys finally convinced me to buy one. So going from a Toyota fan to Nissan.

Anyhow,

Buddy had a Fairlady, and it got stolen a week after he bought it. He gave me one and the day before I was to register it at DMV it got stolen... I didn't know how popular they were then. Now I do.

So, I was wondering, and please don't share what type of security you have, rather, what you guys recommend me, since, I live in an apartment complex.

I love these cars, big fan of 73 model. Anywhoo the present car atm I have been test driving is fugly. It's all sanded down and red interior half ripped. It's ugly. Sexy yes, but not worth stealing, I like to believe....

I was thinking for security:

-removable hub steering wheel

-kill switch on gas pump

-battery terminal unplugging everyday, unless this is bad?

-$200-300 security alarm system

-removable clutch pedal {yours truly made it}

I know if they want it, im screwed they will take it. But these would at the very least slow them down.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everything you have in your list sounds pretty good to me. Maybe remove the tow hooks but have them hidden in the car for emergencies if you really want to go that far.

thanks for swift reply.

Ever seen or heard of a Z with shaven door locks?

your model may not have come with a fuel pump.

kill switch on ign switch in the car, and under the hood; they may find one in the cabin, but who would look under the hood?

pull the ign fuse.

remove coil to dizzy wire

move/hide the connections to the coil.

and forget the steering wheel lock...

http://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Y-Lock/dp/B002LTYTJ6 or http://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Boot-Lock-Claw/dp/B0027E38S8

You could always get something like this if you don't have a electric fuel pump and hide it in the engine bay or something. There is a member here that shaved his door handles and door locks so just search for that and you will find stuff about it. There are also electric lock kits which you can buy at black dragon auto and some other places.

http://www.amazon.com/Conbraco-Industries-Inc-7843810-SHUT-OFF/dp/B002IV4O38

My friends 280Z stolen back in the 80's was recovered with it's hidden kill switch still in the off position.  They don't need to get it running or make it drivable to steal it.  In some cases the tricks work, in some they don't but it's better to have made an effort to protect it than not.   

Edited by cygnusx1

I chain my z to a poll, remove my wheels, and pull my engine every night to prevent theft... so far its worked. :2thumbs:

I know a fellow AE86 owner who chains his car to a tree everyday. No joke.

Also know a guy who parks his 510 in a trailer truck every night. I might have a pick of this one. [will look]

removing the rotor is quick, clean, and effective to keeping any 'hotwire' job ineffective.

If they flatbed it, tow it, you're screwed. But who carries rotors with them when they go a-stealin'?

If they are joyriders, or even determined thieves with some electrical knowledge, they will need to supply a PART to get it running.

Pull the coil wire? Been there, done that. Coathanger they used to lift the lock works just fine as a coil wire (imagine the faces at roll-call when I arrived nonplussed...)

Yep, pulling the rotor pretty much stops ANY chance of the car moving under it's own power, and is INVISIBLE when the hood is opened.

Invisibility is good.

Obviously our current laws are sufficiently draconian to prevent the most obvious deterrent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

Edited by Tony D

• Administrators

I like Tony's rotor idea :cheers:

A couple decades back, I had a 260. It looked far nicer than it actually was. I'm tall, so the seat was always in the most rearward position. I lived in an apt. complex in a not-so-nice area. One evening, someone stole it, parked it under a bridge, and took the wheels and stereo. It was recovered the next day, with the seat *very* forward. Once back in my possession, with fresh equipment, I would swap the coil wire with one spark plug wire (at the cap). I reasoned, in the dark, the chances of the average Datsun thief figuring this out would be slim. A few mornings later, I found the door unlocked and the seat *far* forward. I'm reasonably certain it was the same pond scum. It worked at the time. And depending on the level of thief you're dealing with, it may work again.

Put it in a garage!!!

Some of us just don't have that option. We either have other cars that have priority in the garage (yes, cars can take priority over a z) or we don't have a garage. There are many different things, for example, my z is in the garage, but as soon as it is running and drivable it is out of the garage and I won't be able to put it back in. That is for my dads race car. I have no garage for my car.

ahh the joy's of living in a 1,000 people or less town. With upstanding people.......move away from where you live. Or pull the rotor.

Living on a block with 2 state cops and a county has its perks.

Edited by yetterben

As I see it, if you are running carbs, the SOB only needs to make sure the starter and the ign work, and they are both painfully simple. Why not slow the (expletiver) down with something like http://www.mico.com/.../81-620-016.pdf

Watch him tow it or drive it somewhere with the front wheels locked.

EDIT: May not work for overnight parking, you might need to get a mechanical one for that so it does not drain your battery.

Edited by Geking