HybridZ

How to steal a S30

As I see it, if you are running carbs, the SOB only needs to make sure the starter and the ign work, and they are both painfully simple. Why not slow the (expletiver) down with something like http://www.mico.com/.../81-620-016.pdf

Watch him tow it or drive it somewhere with the front wheels locked.

EDIT: May not work for overnight parking, you might need to get a mechanical one for that so it does not drain your battery.

That's what boots are for, one on the rears and on the fronts. Car won't be going anywhere. I will invest in them. Plus everywhere I go people are going to think I am booted. With the lock pulls and coat hanger that's why you get those ricer ones from auto zone that look like bullets or something. With a pointy tip. Nothing to grab onto. Still swap wires or pull rotor. Have your cut off switch and all. Things you have to remember though, they can almost always break the windows. I don't know but maybe somebody would be willing to pay for high end expensive custom made anti break glass or something? I wouldn't bother unless I lived in a HORRID area. Most car thieves in my area are kids who want a joy ride. I have to say I like the no clutch pedal plan, and a removable shifter handle would work great to. Can't pop it in neutral so it must be towed from the rears and you can't drive it without a clutch or shifter for sure. Also maybe just random switches that do nothing to throw them off?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just hook up a speaker and alarm inside the car and disguise it as a fuel cut off switch so when they turn it on it turns on the alarm and you have to turn it off with a switch that is hidden elsewhere. just have it recorded as your voice screaming at them to get the F*** out of your car and such. It would be hard to try and steal a car with some really loud screaming going on inside the car, plus it would be funny haha. :D

Just hook up a speaker and alarm inside the car and disguise it as a fuel cut off switch so when they turn it on it turns on the alarm and you have to turn it off with a switch that is hidden elsewhere. just have it recorded as your voice screaming at them to get the F*** out of your car and such. It would be hard to try and steal a car with some really loud screaming going on inside the car, plus it would be funny haha. :D

Disguise it as fuel cut of? Just have a big arrow and letters saying."FUEL CUT OFF SWITCH"

I have mine rigged(not really how i wanted) but i have a paperclip bridging power to the fuel pump, no paperclip, no fuel! I doubt anyone will know how the EFI relay works so thats my best bet. Disconnecting the starter solenoid/removing the ignition coil i do aswell only when leaving the car for a few days. I really don't want people to steal my car haha.

I have a hidden fuel pump disconnect switch (disguised as a bolt head) and an innovative hood lock to prevent any tampering in that area - my hood release knob broke off so now you need pliers to open the hood :lol:

Unfortunately there is no surefire way to prevent a car from being stolen - while in China, my Grandpa lost his Jeep to a large group of Chinese men. They slid two poles under the Jeep and carried it off before anybody could do anything.

Same issue. 3 family cars broken into in 1 and a half years just outside the house. It's a nice neighborhood but some punk kids. In one they got my bro's sub but anyways I have had to think bout this to for when I can not use a garage.

-Make sure any stereo equiptment is not visible as thats very attractive to theifs (Don't bump your stereo in the neighborhood either cause they will find your car pretty easily)

-Buy a wheel lock stick thing and turn the tires as far as they can to a side

-Simple but pull the parking brake

-Try as hard as you can to make the interior not look like a teenagers car

-Unplug battery (If you have no alarm)

-Or be like my pops and keep a gun at easy access and make em' **** their pants to guarantee they won't be back. To bad he snores so loud he probably would not hear an alarm go off HAHAHA

^LOL!

your best bet is probably to buy a boot (or two) so they won't be able to move the car. the removable steering wheel is a good idea too. i've had a few occasions where i get into my car to find the seat position changed and all the stuff in my glovebox strewn about my passenger area and i am reasonably sure my quick disconnect steering wheel was the only thing that saved her from being stolen. i take it whenever i park my car.

I have quick disconnects for the coil, also I unplug the vaccuum line going into my MS unit.

Actually....would it be possible to have a setup loaded that never fires the injectors that you could load when you part the car? I'm a carb guy, so I have no idea how hard that would be, but it seems like it would stop anyone without a trailer/flatbed from steeling the car, since they could crank it forever and never get it to fire...

Sadly S30's are really easy to steal. I had my 78 2+2 stolen some years back, and it sucked, but fortunately I was driving about and found it sitting in a parking lot w/ the windows down. The ignition still had the flathead screwdriver they hammered into it lodged in place. I didn't lose much but a crappy stereo and a week of bumming rides. It sucked tho.

An alarm is one of the best things you can do. But know that even with one you're still running a risk. A Disc Brake lock is an idea. Usually they use them on motorcycles but there are ones you can get for cars. They may work, but don't forget them unless you like buying calipers. Another Idea is the Brake line lock. You can get them in Manual w/ a key, or Electrically actuated solinoid. These you STEP HARD on the brakes and Set the lock. It's then much like having the Ebrake on, but for all 4 wheels. Likely the car wont go far if at all in this condition. Fuel cuts, ignition cuts all work but can be defeated. A decent alarm (& stickers saying it's alarmed) will make just as much difference.

If you're enterprising, you can swap in the 350Z engine computer and NATS system, so if you don't have the key it won't start, or if they have a non nats key it'll stay in limp mode. More than that, you can shave your locks and use bluetooth. Dunno there's a lot of ways, but really if they want it, they're going to take it. So look into Classic Car Insurance (Haggarty etc). It's cheaper than most standard insurance, AND it covers the car on a much higher value incase those rat-bastages actually hurt your babies.

Phar

Sadly S30's are really easy to steal.

That's very true... My first 240 didnt come with keys.

A carb'd 240 can easily be stolen without keys and without damaging anything a few different ways, from inside the car, and from under the hood.

A fuel injected 280 is a little harder to steal from under the hood without keys, but just as easily from inside the car.

Infact, the easiest way, once you're actually inside the car, only requires a philips head screw driver and about a minute.

Any car can be stolen if somebody wants it bad enough. Cut off switches, alarms, and parking in a high traffic area definitely will deter or slow down most people.

To be honest, the easiest way, is to roll up in a tow truck, and just drag it up the ramp. Not to mention, most people wouldnt think twice about an alarm or anything like that if a vehicle looks like it is being legitimately towed.

Edited by Austin240Z

If you are running carbs, you don't need a working starter. No manual car needs a working starter!

I worked repo for a time when in my late teens and early 20's. I didn't have a flatbed to tow them away and when the bank gives you the keys it makes it pretty quick work. This was all pre-alarm prevalence. But on older cars we would have to do it 'the old fashioned way' and jack the column to unlock the wheel to be able to drive it away.

The thing that would stop me was when it cranked but didn't start. The LAST thing you want to do is sit outside someones house GRrrrRRRrrrRRRrrrRRRING! GRrrrRRRrrrRRRrrrRRRING! GRrrrRRRrrrRRRrrrRRRING!

People wake up. And in Michigan, those people have shotguns. It is not a good thing to have a car that cranks but doesn't fire. They tend to wake up the deadbeats from their acohol-induced slumber (got money for the beer, but not the car payment...or dental care from what I remember, but I digress...) People get p.o. when you take their car, even if they are deadbeats and not paying for it.

I thank my lucky stars most of the work I did was on GM cars and I had the key provided from the service desk. To this day I don't think most of the people in the little town I lived in knew I was the guy that 'took back' their car! :D

All this blather is just revolving around my 'take the rotor out' ---- the one time I got shot at was by a car that didn't start, and for the life of me the ONLY thing I can figure is he pulled a wire to the HEI Dizzy, because it cranked, the coil is integral, but it just wouldn't fire off. It was like a blues song: Boom Boom Boom Boom!

So from a semi-retired reposessor, taking that rotor out is quick and clean and leaves nothing seen! ;) The removable steering wheel is a nice touch, I was considering getting one for my Shark-Car because of cage access issues, I never thought of taking the wheel inside the house with me at night. Put it at full lock and then take the wheel---sweet!

Had two punks break the window on my 260 some years back---the door was unlocked. These people aren't mental giants. Just throw up a shadow and most of them will jump it. The determined guys will roll it some place on a flatbed. Determined amatuers will roll it to the end of the block to work on it if they really want it. But when you can't park in a secure garage there's really little you can do. How many of you arm the car alarm when it's parked in the garage? There were guys out here in LA taking cars (BMW's mostly, because they were giving a 3-Series or a Boat with the purchase of a new home there for a while...) by using one of those UHF frequency grabbers, and then opening the garage doors at night. Guys would go up to an unalarmed car, have plenty of time to start it, and just roll away into the night.

The deterrent you don't use....isn't a deterrent!

Edited by Tony D

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring back a two year old thread but this topic really concerns me. I just bought brand new locks for my car, and I want to invest in a solid alarm system, but I may not need to if I take out the rotor every night? Doesn't seem like a practical thing to do in my college parking lot. Anyway, has there been any progress made in the way of ******* proofing your car in the past two years?

My friend had his mustang installed with RAVELCOthis kills all electrical equipment. I am going to have mine installed soon.

As for lojack, the cheapest way to go is to have an old Iphone 3gs with a pay as you go plan, hooked up with a charger that charges when the car is on (of course hidden somewhere where where the theives cant see it. Then have your other current iphone install a FINDMYI app. EASY CHEAP LOJACK alternative :)

Edited by draztik280