HybridZ

After 13 years i quit

yetterben

I quit cold turkey 9 years ago. If it's ok i'll share what helped me the most. But don't laugh until you try it because it actually works. Get a few drinking straws from Mcdonalds Hamburgers. It has to be these straws because of diameter and flexibility.They aren't brittle. Cut them into the same length as a cigarette. Chew up one end so you have to pull harder on it to get air through it. Not too hard but about as much as a cigarette. Then treat it as a cigarette. It keeps your mouth, lips, lungs and hands busy in the same routine until the nicotine cravings pace. Once you are no longer craving a smoke after meals or while driving etc then toss the straw. I used the straws for a month or so and it worked great. I had several friends who quit at the same time as me and I was the only one who made it .They tried patchs and all other over the counter help aids.I only used the straws. Give it a try, it's free and you have nothing to lose.

GOOD LUCK from an ex smoker.

Still only 300 yen a pack in Japan... In the old days that was less than a buck, now only about $3.25.

Picked up a carton of Duty Smokes for JeffP at Kansai for 2300 Yen.

Does that make me the Enabler?

Good Luck!

I was dumb enough to start smoking at 33, and just finally quit at 40. My quit date is 12/29. Anyway, I had MAJOR withdraws. I was shocked. Very dizzy, headaches and couldn't think strait. I even took some days off work.

Quiting the second time with smoking aid was much more helpful.

I still could go for a smoke even now. Good luck.

Edited by JSM

Good luck from another Ex-smoker. You will be amazed how different things taste and smell after a couple weeks. I quit going into spring time about four years ago and could not believe all the stuff I could smell. Taste was even better, you don't realize how all the flavors kind of run together when your smoking. I can taste the difference between Coke and Pepsi now, Dr. Pepper was my favorite for a long time, now I don't like it much.

Maybe some incentive to keep it up!

That is the part i am not looking forward too. I have a hyper sense on smell now that also affects my pallet. I am a professional chef and manager for a living so its gonna make it worse now. I can actually eat something and decipher every ingredient in it.

While this is inherently not bad it comes into play with perfumes and such. I can't walk in certain parts of stores without being assaulted if yah get my drift.

My dad used to drink Orange juice when he was first trying to stop smoking, It supposedly helps to elimante the nicotine from the body because it is slightly acidic? Anyways it worked pretty good for my dad. He has had his relapses every once in a while but its mostly because of stress and when something changes he will go back to smoking to help unstress but then we have to go through withdrawals all over again. :blink:

Good luck with quitting smoking. :2thumbs:

Its a good choice! I've never been a smoker but I won't ever be. I think you will always have those things to replace the cigs but if you think about it we all have the things we do as habits when we aren't smokers. Good luck!

Finally quitting smoking. Last cigarette just now. Starting Sunday out fresh.

At 7.50 a pack it was just time. Figure extra money better spent on vacation or car parts. Wish me luck.

Congratulations. Money is a practical consideration; but, living longer to spend time with your significant others, kids, grand kids, Zcars of the future, and life are the other long term benefits.

I"ve been there with other family members, who successfully kicked the habit. Some tips: 1. You are changing your life style and, sometimes, your smoking friends . 2. Coffee and cigarettes and gambling (gaming for the PC) all go together. If breakfast is Coffee and a cigarette, then you must address this confluence. Get hooked on tea and a bagel with your morning newspaper. 3. Avoid all places where others are smoking. Yep, if your bother and sister in law always light up after the family Thanksgiving Dinner, then you might decide to celebrate Thanksgiving in some other place or manner. 4. Tell the world you are a non-smoker. Make your decision very public: it raises the price to you for "failure". Your real friends, whether smokers or not, will be rooting for you; the others will celebrate if you "fail" and pick up a coffin nail. You will not want to let your non-smoking friends down. 5. Look for "sugar teats" such as straws or cigarette substitutes as a crutch. 6. Associate with non-smokers; hang around friends that are members of the Latter Day Saints, Seventh Day Adventists, or Johova's Witnesses. If converting is a bit toooo much, then chose to associate with and cultivate non-smokers as friends. As I suggested, you are embarking on a new life style. Get physical: long walks, running, working out, playing soccer... anything that gets you moving. If you sit and think.... you'll start thinking about cigarettes. If you and your significant other like to kick back and have a cigarette together after engaging in sex: then change the pattern (keep the sex, celebrate in some other manner).

Finally, I suspect that the most successful means of beating nicotine addiction/habit is to create another healthier addiction/habit to displace it.

In closing, think for the long term. If you fall, stand up and continue. My wife, who smoked for 20 years stopped only after three attempts. Each one lasted longer than the other. She hasn't smoked now for 30 years.

Again, congratulations.

Thank you so much zgeezer. Lot of good stuff in there. I have quit several times over the last 13 years. Fortunately for me i am pretty much a shut in think most people suck and can count my friends on one hand lol. None of them smoke. :) I all ready lift weights and run for fun anyway. Most people would stop and stare as they would see me running while smoking ;) I dont drink i dont smoke others.

Looks like its just me and the the wifey and the two kids(ugh stress from kids.....) this just means i will have more money for my cars family and my skyrocketing starbucks/redbull habit.

Smokers who quit cold turkey are shown to have a higher rate of success than those who use patches, drugs, etc. So, good for you and good luck. The money you save can buy more Z parts.

"While this is inherently not bad it comes into play with perfumes and such. I can't walk in certain parts of stores without being assaulted if yah get my drift. "

Transvestite Nonsmoker Section? :blink:

I thought those were only in SanFrancisco and West Hollywood.

Can you decipher bodily fluid ingredients? The world awaits the answer with baited breath! :D

Congrats man! I started smoking when i was about 15 and i quit just before I turned 19. I also dipped tobacco at the same time. I quit smoking but continued to dip. Then when the dip tore up my mouth enough, it was really easy to quit that as well because of the pain.

Cold turkey is the way to go man. It's tough, but worth it. I REALLY noticed a major difference in my health after I quit, along with the health of my wallet.

Good luck man!

HaHa Tony. Basically i cant go into perfume stores potpourri any where near soap isles. Cant walk near fertilizer in the hardware stores. Anything the normal person can smell i can smell 100x I can smell poison ivy peat moss. Its hell in the spring. Its a curse but does come in handy.