HybridZ

Turbo swap help

I have a 78 280z that has the 83 280zx turbo motor. I did the swap myself but im just having trouble with the harness. Iam ready to give up. Is there anyone that lives in the Los angeles area that can come and help me get it started. If you can get it to start. i will pay you well.

Thanks

I have a 78 280z that has the 83 280zx turbo motor. I did the swap myself but im just having trouble with the harness. Iam ready to give up. Is there anyone that lives in the Los angeles area that can come and help me get it started. If you can get it to start. i will pay you well.

Thanks

where are you stuck at, it really isnt very difficult. you can do it, just take your time with it.

the efi harness. I dont get where all the connectors go. They are totally different. the distributer has this one bullet connector and i dont know where that goes. Ill take some photos or vids.

Edited by zdude123

the efi harness. I dont get where all the connectors go. They are totally different. the distributer has this one bullet connector and i dont know where that goes. Ill take some photos or vids.

ya, do that. And keep reading the turbo swap guide until it makes sense, its pretty easy to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i took it to a place thats called Precision Z. They told me that it will cost around $1,000 to fix,maybe more. Its realy hard to believe it will cost this much to fix it. They also said it will take 20hrs to fix my z. Just want to know what you guys think about this.

(The motor is from a 83 turbo and my car is a 78 280z)

willing to pay $500 to someone to get my car started

Edited by zdude123

$500 could get you a MegaSquirt setup, and you would have programmable fuel and spark maps, unlike the stock ECU.

If you plan on running anything more than stock boost, go with a programmable ECU.

I was in the same shoes you were this time last year. I had every part of the 83 Harness laying in front of me, I read the turbo EFI swap at least 10 times, and I still was baffled.

I sold everything and bought MegaSquirt instead, it was much much easier to visualise and get running than I assume the stock EFI swap will be.

Edited by flatblack280

wow. I would love to get the MegaSquirt setup but my electrical skill suck. I wouldn't know where to start if i did get the MegaSquirt setup. I would get it if i can get a person to help me out and ill pay them $500

(Ill also give them a free motor in very good condition. Very well maintained, with the ecu, harness and afm. Its has the p79 head and the n42 block and it also has the turbo valve cover)

Edited by zdude123

• 2 weeks later...

You should probably give Art Rinner a call over at Sunrise Z in (Glendale?)

Sunrise Z

420 W. Broadway

Glendale CA

818-240-1594

Keep in mind having someone else fix your project will always be more than having them do it from the beginning. They likely will have to 'fix' things you were satisfied with, but as a shop they can be held liable for should something go wrong.

Art has done L28ET's into S30's before, and has a regular L28ET - Megasquirt Conversion business going at his shop. The problem is finding time in his schedule to fit in this kind of 'rescue operation'.

Tell him "Fat Tony from L.A." sent you... :lol:

ok so i took it to a place thats called Precision Z. They told me that it will cost around $1,000 to fix,maybe more. Its realy hard to believe it will cost this much to fix it. They also said it will take 20hrs to fix my z. Just want to know what you guys think about this.

(The motor is from a 83 turbo and my car is a 78 280z)

willing to pay $500 to someone to get my car started

As a frame of reference, 20 hours is three days shop work. And $1000 is $50 an hour. I would consider that a ballpark if you have done all the mechanical stuff. It may take less time, but you never know what you will find inside a used wiring harness. And if it doesn't work out properly, it's them you will come back to looking for a free fix under warranty!

I agree with Tony on both statements. If you bring any shop a ghetto rigged project that works for you they will probably tell you everything will have to be redone "to spec" so you can't sue them.

Also Art and Mike are really good guys. They are both capable of hooking up megasquirt in your car. They're a bit busy as of now though so you may have to wait till the end of next week. I was there 2 days ago and they were packed.

I agree with Tony on both statements. If you bring any shop a ghetto rigged project that works for you they will probably tell you everything will have to be redone "to spec" so you can't sue them.

Also Art and Mike are really good guys. They are both capable of hooking up megasquirt in your car. They're a bit busy as of now though so you may have to wait till the end of next week. I was there 2 days ago and they were packed.

crap, I was supposed to call art back now that you mention it, he needs an R200 moustache bar and is willing to pay....

crapcrapcrapcrapcrap!

Maybe I can drop it by on Tuesday, Marcus can wait!

They ALWAYS seem busy when I stop by there. That is probably a good sign.