HybridZ

1972 240z SBC V8 and complete restoration project

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOw! that color looks pretty amazing on the car, not to mention you guys did a really good job with the shaving in the rear. Me likee... If I hadn't already chosen my color I would seriously be considering this one. But you got it first anyway! Are you going to put the original chrome bumpers back on it?

Very nice

Phar

Thanks! Credit goes to my body guy for the awesome rear shave job... well, credit goes to him for everything, really. I just helped a little on some of that stuff.

This isn't the first Z with this color, but I can't remember who's Z it is that has it... I'm pretty sure he's a member though.

Original bumpers aren't going back on, since I have the MSA front bumper and all, so what you see will be the body lines :)

Thanks! Credit goes to my body guy for the awesome rear shave job... well, credit goes to him for everything, really. I just helped a little on some of that stuff.

This isn't the first Z with this color, but I can't remember who's Z it is that has it... I'm pretty sure he's a member though.

Original bumpers aren't going back on, since I have the MSA front bumper and all, so what you see will be the body lines :)

It's perfect.

It's awesome how you have a vision in your head (and on a spreadsheet lol) of what you're going to do, and other people in the community do it. It's so helpful being able to see it before I do it. The only other body difference I am doing will be shaving the gas door, because I will have a fuel cell. Oh and ZG Flares blended to the body. And my paint will be the orange from the 2006-2007 Porsche GT3-RS.

Thanks again for sharing.

Edited by mxgsfmdpx

Is it Sparky? I know his is a similar color.

Paint looks fantastic, BTW!

That is a nice paint job for sure!!!! I have been doing the same thing to mine. I did mine in my garage though and put up with hairs and bugs galore. Mine is a track car and will suffer rubs, chips, and handling damage at events.

I did the inside and cage and door jambs,

Then I assembled the car to test run,

Then I painted the outside of all parts.

That was a major job by any standards. I am just guessing that you have paid more than $6k for that paint job and body work. Yours looks bug free and really shows off what the pros can do in their shops.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, its been a few since an update... got sick with a nasty bug that put me back about a week, but I'm back. The biggest thing is, I got the engine in the car!! Here are some pictures of the process. It was a serious shoehorn, but went flawlessly.

post-4330-000566500 1289884317_thumb.jpg

post-4330-022658000 1289884318_thumb.jpg

post-4330-041821200 1289884319_thumb.jpg

post-4330-068766900 1289884320_thumb.jpg

post-4330-089380100 1289884321_thumb.jpg

post-4330-013396700 1289884323_thumb.jpg

Very sexy go-fast compartment. Are those aluminum heads?

Thanks!

They are aluminum, pro comp heads that the shop that built the engine went through and did a little work on during the build.

Edited by z2go

Nice. Are you planning on having the battery in the back or leaving it in the front? Keep us posted on engine compartment photos. Looking great!

I'm relocating the battery to the rear. I took out the battery tray and smoothed that area out. I will be sure to keep the photos coming :)

Small update. I finished running the fuel lines and rear brake line. The cabin picture shows the machine screws and how they affect the interior... they are low profile enough that they shouldn't even show after carpet is in. I ran the main fuel line up the passenger side, and the return up the driver side. They will be finished with Earl's soft lines in the front and rear. I put some loctite on each screw and nut to ensure they don't go anywhere. :rolleyes:

post-4330-068788200 1290503203_thumb.jpg

post-4330-083101500 1290503204_thumb.jpg

You've got a fantastic build going, it looks great.

If those are copper lines, I would give some serious thought to using steel. The copper doesn't tolerate vibration or wear very well. I used it on a car, and it worked fine for a while, but eventually cracked and caused a big gas leak. It would be a shame to mess up that beautiful paint.

jt

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. To answer your questions, the brake and fuel lines are actually copper-nickel alloy, DOT approved and all. They are supposed to be just as strong and durable, plus no chance of rust. It's really easy to work as well, and the 3/16" brake line can almost double back on itself before collapsing.

I didn't paint the cowl area or POR it because it was in good shape to begin with, no rust issues really, and I had it media blasted with everything else and epoxy primed. This car will not be living outside, so I'm not too worried about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another update!

I reinstalled all of the suspension, still not the last time, because I will have to figure out the alignment for the driveshaft as well as reinstall the parking brake.

I also fabricated a mount for the fuel pump, after a lot of pondering on where it should go. I wanted to make sure the inlet was as close to the sump's level, or at least the bottom of the fuel tank. So, this is what I came up with. It fits nicely between the fuel tank and the mustache bar, with plenty of room. I used thick grommets out of an inexpensive eBay grommet kit to help insulate it further. It's not perfect, but it's not going anywhere. Because of the length (12 inches top to bottom) I think I will need to watch it for vibrations. I might cut the side arm off and weld another arm at the bottom, and run it to the same mount point on the spare tire well.

I also ordered up all the Earl's fittings and lines I need, so pictures of those installed will be coming soon.

post-4330-059927900 1291941674_thumb.jpg

post-4330-041943700 1291941675_thumb.jpg

post-4330-044989800 1291941676_thumb.jpg

post-4330-033502800 1291941677_thumb.jpg