HybridZ

Sign in if you drift your S130!

MiKeL 260

Yo Hybridz members, Just thought id put up this topic because im very into drifting and love my 280zx 2+2 so just wanting to know who have put the two together and drift there 280zx..

So please put up pictures, tell us about your setup (wheels, suspension, lsd, wheels etc.) and how you find it drifts...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to love drifting my 280ZXT.......then I had a bad experience. I ended up going through a shallow ditch after a 50mph mistake and broke my $400 fiberglass front spoiler in half. Ever since then, I have stopped drifting on the street ever since then. Luckly no one got hurt and I was lucky enough to slip between a street sign and a group of trees after I went through the ditch(It was a perfect gap to slide backwards through). It's funny because on the other side of the ditch was my buddy's body shop, I just so happened to coast into a parking spot before I came to a rest.

Needless to say, I no longer drift in my car anymore, especially after this $2k paint job. I will just leave drifting to the profesionals from now on.

I slide my Z only very seldomly, I'm still running an open diff so it doesn't like to stay sideways lol Going to get a Phantom Grip LSD in the future though, so I should be able to go out to an event and see how she does.

DSC04283.jpg

almost how the car sits currently (actually on stock rears as my rears haven't come in yet)

I'm on sectioned strut tubes with Koni Red inserts up front with some no-name sleeve coilovers and like 400# springs and Tokico HP blues on the rear with the same springs but just sitting in the stock spring perches (also trying to get those replaced lol)

s130 actually slides, the s30 mmmmmm not so much. But if i were you and you were going to slide it, heres my setup and works for me.

i got that superspiffy 3.9 r200 with some gangster weldedness and it hooks,slides,and even chirps in parking lots to piss off all the lsd guys that pay way too much and i still have better gearing. =)

S30's can drift just fine, I rock my R200 liquid seized diff (LOL) and it performs well. Same with my underpowered ZX motor/trans, sure It could use some more active camber when drifting, and you need to double check your frame and beef it up. But It will do just fine and I dont see why so many people think its so challenging or incapable. Know how to drift your car, if you want something easy go buy a 240sx

No pictures or ass backwards into ditches stories, but I do occasionally like to show up the 240sx guys that my 28 year old can hang with the new kids and look cooler doing it. As of now I'm running cut springs and tokico blues for suspension, rota grid offroad 16x8 +10 offset with a 5mm spacer in front. No LSD, still running the pegleg. Motor is mostly stock, upgraded injectors, intake and exhaust. I was surprise how easy it is to get it sideways and keep it there tho, the first time I tried it in the 280zx it caught me by surprise. I used to rock an '80 datsun 210 with a 1.5 powerhouse and gutted interior.

Hahaha it's kind of hard to get some pics, most of the time It's a spur of the moment kind if thing, like "oh! That's a nice corner or empty a$$ parking lot, let's go dorifto" lol I think I got a pic of how it is right now in my albums if you want to take a look, otherwise I'll post one up later tonite after work.

S30's can drift just fine, I rock my R200 liquid seized diff (LOL) and it performs well. Same with my underpowered ZX motor/trans, sure It could use some more active camber when drifting, and you need to double check your frame and beef it up. But It will do just fine and I dont see why so many people think its so challenging or incapable. Know how to drift your car, if you want something easy go buy a 240sx

You do realize that the 280zx/s130 is sooooo similar to an 240sx/s13 that it isnt even funny...hence why it slides sooo much better that a s30 chassis. I think i already said that though, and the fact that even a slow stock s130 with a nice clutch kick doesnt have to be in 3-4th gear to get side ways, but at slow speeds the s30 shows its "undrifting" ability, if anyone would like to prove me wrong and show a VIDEO of an s30 sliding at fast AND slow entry speeds i would love to see it....i'll be waiting with baited breath.

Sorry i didnt make it too clear i meant an actual drift run, not just one slide, or "drifting" then coming all the way around, aka spinouts, but an actual multi-drifting segment, because i know how much easier/capable a 280zx is vs a 280z.

Edited by sticky280zx

S130 is very dissimilar from the 240SX chassis...

first, the 240SX has bolt on struts with seperate spindles, but more importantly, the rear suspension is a multi-link rear on the S13/S14/Z32, whereas the S130 and Z31 both have semi-trailing arm rear suspension. Sure, you can adapt most of that stuff to S130's, but saying they're very similar stock is kinda stretching it...

I've also heard that the s130 suspension is not very suitable to going sideways as you put a great amount of stress on the mounting points an the bushings because of the semi-trailing arm design. As a result, crapping out the bushings like nobodies business and running the risk of snapping the 30 yearold bolts that hold it all togather. The multilink on the 240sx' are much more forgiving in that matter and provide a better feel for getting your ass end out.

show a VIDEO of an s30 sliding at fast AND slow entry speeds i would love to see it....i'll be waiting with baited breath.

i dunno if this fits your criteria. but its pretty cool

0:04 , 1:14,

its raining but its still pretty awesome..

the owner has some videos of his own as well

"fitko" is the channel i think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUXpf-8Gdtc

older vid of an attempt of a 240z drift car

http://www.streetfire.net/video/amazing-drift-action-in-the-midwestcompilation_73220.htm

Edited by palauoriginal