HybridZ

Lightweight + Big HP = ?

Clifton's '71 240Z track car + World Wide Racing extreme L28 should make for an exciting combination don't you think? I'll be starting on the transplant shortly and will have numbers for all the doubters soon. She only weighs 2077lbs., how fast/quick will she be if she makes 400RWHP?, 500RWHP?, 600RWHP?, 700RWHP? What kind of lap times at Road Atlanta? Not sure if I am going to have the balls to keep her wide open down that long back straight...might need a big ass wing on the front and the back:) Not sure how I'm gonna get that intercooler and plumbing to fit either.

Cleve

post-12620-074372600 1281873539_thumb.jpg

post-12620-059148100 1281873552_thumb.jpg

post-12620-064637000 1281873600_thumb.jpg

post-12620-092132800 1281873611_thumb.jpg

post-12620-026603100 1281873631_thumb.jpg

post-12620-083063900 1281873659_thumb.jpg

I don't think it is possible to get 700rwhp out of an L28, if you can do that, well, please do tell us how.

Anything is possible. Do some calculations and tell me what you come up with: 2.8L + 7500RPM + PT76 GTS @ 35PSI + 1000cc injectors + Q16 + 90mm TB + Microtech ECU + maybe a little juice = ?

http://www.precisionturbo.net/Wcf023e45c7b77.htm

Cleve:)

I don't think it is possible to get 700rwhp out of an L28, if you can do that, well, please do tell us how.

Depends on where your reference point is and how you want to measure it - if you're talking flywheel, jeffp is already there, and I am already there.

As far as how to do it? Years of persistence in both cases - no silver bullet here.

Seriously - is somebody doubting that a 1 ton car with over 400hp will be quick?

I guess I haven't been following this that closely, but the car above with the engine installed looks like a lot of attention paid to the motor, not much to the chassis/suspension - I'm assuming that won't be the case with the track car...

Edited by TimZ

Cleve - You bought Clifton's old white track car that had the rising sun painted on the hood? Tim the ZX Turbo with the built L28ET that Cleve bought was discussed at length on here and was formerly a drag car in Tampa I believe, it was also on Craigslist and eBay for quite some time. Alot of us doubted its capabilities but sounds like it is the real mccoy.

Cleve - You bought Clifton's old white track car that had the rising sun painted on the hood? Tim the ZX Turbo with the built L28ET that Cleve bought was discussed at length on here and was formerly a drag car in Tampa I believe, it was also on Craigslist and eBay for quite some time. Alot of us doubted its capabilities but sounds like it is the real mccoy.

Yep, bought Clifton's old car from Marty who had bought it last year. The ZX Turbo drag car was out of Miami and supposedly has not seen any track time as of yet, the chassis it was in was a real POS, I just bought it for the motor. After I yank it from the ZX, I will tear it down to check everything and address some oil leaks and then install in Clifton's old car. I want to get some dyno numbers with the PT76 GTS but that is most likely too big a turbo for road racing. I will probably drop down to something in the 35R family.

Cleve

any bastard can go to a track with a 600whp supra, but only some can know how to control the car and not always use all of its power because its there. This case is no difference, if that motor is Legit, which it clearly looks up to snuff. Then you will have your work cut out for you in a 2000lb car.

So good luck, and may the for(Z)e be with you!

I'm not a racer's bootlace, but I think the package is more than the sum of its parts. What I'm trying to say is that you'll be a lot faster after practice/tuning than you will first time out, and I'd guess driver skill plays an equally large role in that. :)

Dave

Got some experience, been road racing since '95 (SCCA Regional, National Licenses, NASA, PCA National Instructor);)

Some past fun rides:

Edited by cgmeredithjr

clifton said it was a hand full at over 400 hp and much nicer to drive where he left it. that was before the added rubber he added. i bet with more aero mods and getting the suspension set for the tracks in use, 450-500 would be more than plenty. i bet anything over than that is just dyno numbers and not used on the track. just my .02.

jimbo

I said RWHP as to one of the above referenced statements. I was being serious on the question. I really wasn't sure it was possible to crank that from an L28. I am by far not an engine man at this point. I thought it was pretty hard to get these to make more than around 450-500 whp. Although that is plenty for something at that weight.

Purely uninformed comment there. It is well known that the Electromtive L28ET was advertised at 750HP, at 21.6psi at 7500.

In matter-of-fact, the number was closer to 1100HP, at higher boost and rpm numbers. The car was capable of lighting the rear meats onto the back straight at Riverside, and perpetuating that to the next corner. Driver commented that it was the first car he ever drove that 'Met the Granatelli Criterion'!

There are a couple people here will over 600 in street cars, and one over 700 on C16 in his street car.

And they made more than that in the 80's in Japan for Drag Racing.

Don't underestimate the L28, the Myths are far underrating the actual Legend.

In my experience, anything over 300hp in an S30 and you better know how to drive.

That goes for 150hp.

I know from my experience with wide tires on a street-driven S30 sans-cage (no comments, please) that an honest 350 turbo horsepower can break your windshield. The possiblity of hyperspeeds (if you have the stickies) will dictate some sort of aero. You will have more than enough horsepower to give it up to drag to keep it on the ground. The possibilities will be exciting to see with some hard downforce and big HP to keep power down into and out of turns. If for nothing else a large acme-screw boost controller like the 917's had for different parts of LeMans, it simply said "600, 800, 1000" arrayed around the boost knob at roughly 120 degree intervals!

What it was for is simple: On the technical portions, turn down the boost and get torque response for the twisties, but in preparation for the big straight turn it to 1000, hammer the throttle, and pray to gawd you are pointed in the right direction when the boost hits! Doubling the horsepower with a single twist of the wrist.

Gotta love the turbo! (This is, BTW, how Electramotive kept the car together to win. If they had to make up time, HORSEPOWER! If not, dial it back to keep just ahead of the competition!)

I believe it's eminently possible, and look forward to in-car multiple angle herocam shots! :)

I would think that at the 500+ mark you start sacrificing some driveability.

Also, I would imagine it requires A LOT of head-work (if not completely custom made DOHC set-ups), completely reworking the bottom end and so forth.

You don't need to imagine. Just search and read and then you'll know that DOHC is not required.