HybridZ

BLOZ UP

Haven't worked on it. Collecting dust and rust. That Louisiana humidity just allows for the entire car to be "soaked" when the temperature drops, despite being in a garage.

Whenever the Z32 is "done" I'll try and tune the VG33 to 16psi or so then rip it out and sell it. Then clean it all up, and eventually an LS2.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a repro Datsun Competition Seat off eBay for $500. Judging from photos of other repros, the vent holes on the back are a, uh, factory error. Perhaps why this one was so cheap. Luckily no one will really see it.

Love it. I fit snug in it, but not too much so. My stock seat was really worn out so it feels much more comfortable. And the fake leather is not bad. I was going to get it redone in real leather but might push that back unless I need belt holes.

It's resting on stock 280Z rails. Seat of it at about the same height as the stock seat, so not sure it will help the limited helmet room. I'm also going to have to fabricate an adapter for the stock rails to get them on the narrower seat base (roughly 13" rail spacing on the stock seat vs 10" on this). But, no door rubbing or hard-to-reach seat belts.

Speaking of seat belts the stock one seems super unsafe in this. Not sure what I'll do about that.

And I need a head rest. Don't feel like breaking my neck if someone rear ends me at anything over 5 mph. From other threads about this seat I can get a legit Kameari one.

IMG_20200709_154617420.jpg

Edited by BLOZ UP

• 2 months later...

Went to an autocross. Put back in the stock seat (for the 11th time), because the other ones I have just aren't working out for various reasons.

Otherwise,

- New brake proportioning valve. Bled brakes like crazy but there's still a lot of slack/dead travel before they kick in. The 1" master takes quite some effort, even with the booster to lock them up. Will need to double-check the pushrod.

- Electric power steering! It's amazing!

- Horn clock ring connection thing started shorting out and honking the horn at certain steering angles (sigh...)

- Fuel pressure dropping under boost (it's a Bosch 044, shouldn't do that)

Edited by BLOZ UP

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fixed a couple issues. Timing was off, about 8 degrees too advanced. Distributor was off a tooth. Not sure when I last checked the timing... been years. Figured that would solve my high load/RPM cutouts. It solved hard hot starts. The car still likes 25 BTDC at idle for whatever reason. That's a relief.

Replaced the pre-injector filter. The old one was clogged. Guess it is about 7 years old. Oops. Car runs rich AF now. In boost it's 10.5:1. So, went to a autocross and increased boost, of course. It's, uh, fast when it hooks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 10:37 AM, boosted300 said:

Wow that looks like fun...I apologize, I have not been through your entire thread but, do you have power steering?  Your steering looks effortless.

Yep, Silvermine motorsports' electric power steering kit. Love it.

Went to the dyno. Still have to parse the results and match it up with my ECU logs. 320hp @ 10psi, 420hp/440tq at 16psi or so. Might have blown a headgasket. Really unsure. Runs fine, no smoke, but at the top end of the 16psi run the coolant reservoir spewed coolant out 6ft up... dyno operator was not amused.

Like it was pressurizing the coolant system. Gonna look at the oil and plugs, and in any case get a bigger reservoir because it does this under non-dyno conditions as well as the reservoir is too small. I had just topped it off the other day in prep of this session, so i was expecting some.

Ugh. Wish the motor would just die conclusively instead of this wishy-washy maybe it's an easy fix stuff.

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2020 at 4:58 PM, BLOZ UP said:

Fixed a couple issues. Timing was off, about 8 degrees too advanced. Distributor was off a tooth. Not sure when I last checked the timing... been years. Figured that would solve my high load/RPM cutouts. It solved hard hot starts. The car still likes 25 BTDC at idle for whatever reason. That's a relief.

Replaced the pre-injector filter. The old one was clogged. Guess it is about 7 years old. Oops. Car runs rich AF now. In boost it's 10.5:1. So, went to a autocross and increased boost, of course. It's, uh, fast when it hooks.

Man the acceleration at :36 is impressive! I can't wait to hit some autocross up and get familiar with my car, makes me stoked!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Parts!

T3 everything except Apex control arms. Ordered the T3 stuff in May and it only arrived earlier last month. Still waiting on a rear disc brake kit.

59Jbwc18iKiMuK_OCvrVZlzx-xugX6CwHvfBS5z7DQRxNQ3TxBX2T0M239UqlDTUIaIiLT6DohuMPH_MNOgGFsA8R1vA9tcYUUoInP0CovltH5gLPoFOhyhqCGN1BvaBdjHKmInzPJS4t4aj0FjqsO0pSVP6bDVeOfjfLK5e58pOBRoCpcW9EJfweaEqvSm53FNwBgpyf7WApi0Fo3n6bD3wPlE0itm-Ulzj0_HcvUn49t6rhVYNQ_yp4NzbGS57nlmj-e85PEpnQo5EriM054cvlWSFDy_xgpLcQWQFBherjyU-cquRMDqpOKApLpolJmXJAYFpnnG5qlHNUmivfM54yj8x9VijUGI4JJLBQ-s-DK6-kGyPP8DoFpoVzib39uSWMyrVwdqCXPKILc64ng4Ebqjv0ECrZrBDc4SW08ewVMRspWB3tXKmzn7_j8cOo65qtaKjP5ej7Bxn07PZdQVgS5epq9cyJeboBvIHeqIQFQENvyv6j-mT1Q6GUP2H3QdhLZzX4P8d-uX4Sv5UeHKlWyh_1RZt_0ztyJu_B5PblK-1oKc6FHaBZw3fYN_oUEReOsLhAGXF6k7jeBqU88880r6bqR5xGzjmjNnSHWSSXGIiugDOsEKtaMTT3_C2ShnjYfiAJwR6g4MXTmNPZwR3Wq-8kmmfF86bwzIR7Iu60zBjc1R9IQvT9uy1rxEiDyKVMrG8p2yLdrxXo4fcT2S_l_QB5xCWzXajCNa_NeVo3hvprn0ov5tnW1a98v4=w1415-h1061-no?authuser=0

Installed, with the R200 LSD. It did not come with much in the way of instructions, so I initially had the rear drop mounts in backwards, which interfered with the R200 finned cover. So I trimmed the cover only to find out the drop mounts were backwards. Oof, but oh well, I'll only be reminded of that every time I'm under the car.

I still need to swap the flange on the differential and am waiting for new bearings and to remove the stock hub stubs.

O9IKmvou0tCGDdu6KL54rt8zsaBCtQ7YfzP48dSz8YdBSYw1eCunSrzXA-TYDAgKgkaLqqHGBmKed2cfctV5y8v4EnMQ-UBL5fTnYhvXbQiEyjpwhnj58Rpd4Pv4OMbK3UxLGC2qznILMWRA40wBXEcO5OvZpwhnRRdgl-s-d3TTrCq9JuEUY3mTs12IK2XI5YJcTIkao-q8ogOaPu1xPewL5xgezry7sr_LuhMgHQ8wpxX7RZ25XS2DqA7d9ASmuKZFXU-iXdFILoZp3r24GVcNi3-6aXSXcWkyctv1Fj7TfHIRNTP3twNa0IBIe_MdzXkV-TvdNWkGnWWppq8k-W_9Gr9w_Q6SPLr_BIOdOQ41ETgx-SzUZZ-GRpe15dXILXfUQXZr7mcF319yUW2rOXeRA8l52r0-q2WZAAo6yQKEk4phhz37KQylAMKOkNXqtJI0w98HYyBNlmq5f4rWRuJBV7VDFjA81T_sAL-sWH3gVrpu4y0FQMnSR1ehK6y6BPhx3Yaf6aZAnSG2rV42ZC6bUrlVq2huLeYv4pOy28XbpnJt5IuwMvfv_m17XlhfUEk_6TcBVTSz30Cg2EukV_x3eAwobvmJu6vN8bnL8hllIKz8JopYOp31MS6SqUQsmYQQR4PZO640vIbfq-uFgy5DCt73CVrrKyzt-_u4SRXA15SQXkuUKx8DP2Ax8UfVOPmK1w4nsBhWeIzvk-hGk_Gn5IOP1y6FVR61jrgrX3aJE2pJRF_dNSL1cN-u154=w1415-h1061-no?authuser=0