HybridZ

BLOZ UP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reviewed datalogs and smoothed out area at and around 220kPa @ 3000 RPMs (17psi). Turns out in 4th and 5th gear I get full boost (17psi) at 3000 RPMs. Nice. Getting close to the surge limit of the compressor (according to my spread sheet calculations), but some cams and head work should increase the margin a bit. Oh, and switching to the 3.3L will definitely help as well, which I can hopefully have done by next season.

Got new Hawk pads on. Will bed them in this weekend and give them a try.

I'm having trouble at low rpm and high boost. Lots of shuddering. Pretty nasty feeling. Feels like it's misfiring. Double checked and redid my flow calculations and I should not be surging, or even close to surging. Not sure what's going on. Spark blowout?

Bedded and tried out the new pads. Seems to bite a lot better.

Painted the VG33 block. Need pistons.

I'm having trouble at low rpm and high boost. Lots of shuddering. Pretty nasty feeling. Feels like it's misfiring. Double checked and redid my flow calculations and I should not be surging, or even close to surging. Not sure what's going on. Spark blowout?

Bedded and tried out the new pads. Seems to bite a lot better.

Painted the VG33 block. Need pistons.

When I had a broken piston, it would shudder at lower rpms.

I drove the piss out of that thing even after breaking said piston. It actually ran pretty good at WOT..

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed spark blowout/misfire issue. key was 0.030" on all cylinders except #5, which is at 0.040" (pretty much stock). Runs like a champ now. Hard to start, but that's this crappy compression.

I also pulled a couple degrees right at peak boost at 3000 RPM for good measure, and interpolated a few lines around it.

I was going to creep the boost up to the 20-22psi range to dial in the fuel table there, but I think I'll scrap that since the tune is good enough to try on the VG33, and it hasn't blown up. I'd like to not break stuff I might need when swapping to the VG33. Plus, winter is coming.

Edited by BLOZ UP

• 2 months later...

I'm going to get started on the motor swap soon. I will see if I can pull the old motor this weekend.

Only thing I know of is an exhaust leak on the driver's side. I've had this before--it might be the flange has warped. I can get that resurfaced and it's not something I'm worried about. I'm using silicone gasket so that's the main problem. It only leaks when cold, suggesting that there may be some warping as temperatures change. I will split the flange in between the primaries and remachine if necessary.

I'm replacing the VG30 with a VG33 and will be taking them off, checking them out, and getting them coated.

Also, the free picture hosting I used went under, surprise surprise, so I'd have to find the photos from this thread again.

Edited by BLOZ UP

I did a final compression check before dissassembly:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (PSI): 161, 185, 161, 185, 80, 185

So, not horrendous, but the passenger side bank is pretty weak. Could be a headgasket, although the coolant and oil stay clean. It does eat oil quite fast, and there's coolant on one of the plugs, oil on another. The driver's side is also suspiciously high. Regardless, the motor is coming out.

I tried my hand at polishing the crank. Good god I was nervous about screwing up the surfaces. I used 400 grit just briefly, since I really just wanted to get some month old surface rust off. Ended up working really well--looks spiffy again.

Honed the cylinders. My hone is apparently a little on the rough side. Cross hatching is, uh--a bit pronounced. I used a shitload of oil but oh well, there ain't no glaze anymore. Cleaned the bores. It's the god damned Exxon Valdez on the garage floor now.

Installed main bearings and crankshaft on the VG33. I did manage to dent the #1 top bearing--just a tad. I dropped another bearing which hit it with the corner. Ugh. Don't think it's a big deal, but now I'm paranoid. Well, not paranoid enough to order another bearing. I figure if this engine spins a bearing--any bearing--I'll blame it on that.

Maybe I should refrain from rebuilding motors when it's butt **** freezing in the garage.

Edited by BLOZ UP