HybridZ

BLOZ UP

Awesome build man- keep it up and cheers for posting everything you've done so far. I've got the same project sitting in my garage, waiting for me to finish up my other stuff so I can begin. I see you had mocked up the 71C tranny from the z31- and the 280z driveshaft attached. I wasn't aware that you could essentially use the stock driveshaft with the z31 tranny, depending on how far forward/aft you located the engine mounts. Are you keeping with this idea or is a custom driveshaft coming your way? I admit, I've saved your build pics for my own reference, keep it up man and good luck. Looking forward to the progress.

Thanks. I am using the 280Z 4-speed driveshaft, the car is moving on it's own now, and is pretty much ready to drive except the exhaust and interior.

What happened is I lined up the driver's side engine mount with the 280Z crossmember, went under the car and noticed the transmissions crossmember lined up, and then tried the driveshaft. After that, I was pretty much sold on engine position. The crank pulley is right next to the crossmember, to the point that the alternator belt is "difficult" to get on. The oil pan is rather low, however. It's not lower than the frame rails, but it does stick out since the frame rails go up, and there's nothing else that low until you get under the passenger compartment.

After I saw that it all lined up like that I attached the transmission to the crossmember and with the engine still hoisted up, made the mounts. The driver's side was easy since it's just a metal door stop, the passenger side was more involved and went through a few revisions.

So, given that it's on Tokico springs already, a debris shield would be prudent.

• 4 weeks later...

MOAR!!!!!!!!

Sounds good- everything worked out now? Also from all of the pics you've posted (and I've downloaded, saved, studied, etc.) it looks as if you've solid-mounted the engine, as in no rubber isolator/bushing for the mount. Are you running into any problems, vibrations, things like that running straight mount-to-mount? Looking forward to the progress man, cheers

So far so good. I can't tell the difference with the solid mounts. Everything appears to be holding together. I still need to put together the interior and get the car ready for state inspection. Only snag so far is that my exhaust is a bit too low.

Well, I've run into a few small issues. In order or importance:

1) Exhaust is too low

2) Surging at WOT

3) Exhaust v-band leaks

4) Exhaust flange leaks

5) A coolant leak that requires "touch-up" welding

6) Leaning out at tip-in (accel-enrich)

7) Fuel pump might be dying. Again.

8) RPM's are shaky at high load

Here's a couple graphs that shows lean tip-in, and the shaky RPMS:

post-1233-086450900 1326809519_thumb.png

post-1233-036758200 1326809536_thumb.png

There's a nearly 1000 RPM spike between samples in one instance. I don't think my car accelerates that fast. This is also when the turbo is surging, but I can't feel it. And the effective MAP (after the throttle body) is pretty solid. I would really like to solve that problem. I will try shielding the CAS wires more, and some other ground tweaks.

And here is a before and after of timing error vs RPM:

Using the 6 slot CAS:

post-1233-018585700 1326809789_thumb.png

Using the (12-1)*2 CAS wheel:

post-1233-071626300 1326809761_thumb.png

But either way, the AFRS are a steady 10.5 under high load, so I'm still beating on it trying get other things broken:

I am going to switch out wastegate springs to a "8 psi" one. Which will probably end up being 10psi, since the "14 psi" spring in it now results in 17.5 psi. My boost controller has been off to run the spring pressure.

nothin like runnin her through the paces right past the fuz done that a few times haha one time i got pulled over and he gave me a thumbs up and asked me to see under the hood

I had just come from that direction not two minutes prior to make sure that there weren't any cops nearby. So, not only did a car break down in that time span, the cops showed up as well.

I'm not breaking too many laws. Really just trying to break the car rather than drive recklessly.

Edited by BLOZ UP

:[ Makes me want to forget my N/A plans and go turbo L6... again...

And for reference... My truck barely makes it up that hill on pleasant ridge with my fat ass in it. We chug up it in 4th gear, mind you 4th gear at 2500 RPM is like 10mph... haha

Edited by josh817

I forgot to ask, and didn't see it while glancing back over your previous posts, but are you using a 71C (n/a) trans, or the turbo borg-warner t5? I've got a 71C lined up under the car now, positioned about the same as you have shown, but looks like the mounts aren't quite spot on compatible as what your pics show. Nothing that can't be fabbed; I was just curious as to which trans you were using.

Cheers,

JK