HybridZ

whats your parts chaser

grumpyvette

it takes a certain mind set to drive an older muscle car or corvette, its just a fact that when a cars 15-40 years old it WILL require some occasional maintenance, and it WILL be a P.I.T.A, to own at times.

if you want to drive the older corvettes or muscle cars,as a daily driver it will require constant maintenance , inspections,and occasional repairs

that's why almost everyone I know that's a corvette owner also owns a second truck/car that's used just as often, or more often than their muscle car or corvette.

I own a couple c4 corvettes and have for many years, ,Ive owned several GTOs, ROAD RUNNERS,CAMAROS,a bbc chevelle,a 1965 lemans and every one of them occasionally needed repairs,the best second vehicle in my opinion is a pick-up truck or larger SUV that can tow a car trailer,something like a CHEVY AVALANCHE is about ideal if its got the right tow and suspension options, simply because theres times you'll want to transport 4-5 people, go get or deliver parts or shop supply's or tow the corvette some place.

now If theres one thing Ive found out its that you can,t depend totally on a single car or truck, over the long term if your into hot rodding simply because theres ALWAYS going to be times when you need to go get parts while your working on the car!

there will be times when you need to transport a new tool cabinet, or new air compressor , or a buddies car breaks down 30 miles from home, , occasionally you'll find a great deal on a spare engine, or a welder and you can,t generally just use your hot rod as the only vehicle you own , long term, if your transporting large & heavy components to your shop.

I can,t even imagine how you can get bye without at least occasional access to a truck of some kind if your into hot rod cars.

I bought a chevy avalanche for my most recent parts chaser but my youngest son seems to have adopted it and its rarely available since he moved out and bought a house across town, now its my truck legally but getting it back for more than a day at a time seems to be all but impossible lately.

now this is ESPECIALLY true if your main car is a corvette, or a cobra or some other two seat car with very limited trunk space,

now for many years I had a DATSUN 4x4 pick-up truck I used for local trips to salvage yards and auto parts stores and machine shops, I know lots of guys that own corvettes, cobras,t-buckets, and similar cars and almost without exception they also own, or at least a family member owns an SUV or a pick-up truck, thats used to transport parts or in rare cases a car trailer is used behind the second family vehicle to transport the larger bulky items we all occasionally need to transport.

I don,t care if its 6 bags of groceries, a spare dana 60 rear axle, a set of spare tires or a floor jack or engine crane,or the family Christmas tree, theres going to be items you would rather not try to transport in your hot rod

so what do you gentlemen use for your parts chaser?

Ive used a chevy avalanche and a 20ft long 4 wheel car trailer for my shop for the last 5 years

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/index.php

0859.jpg

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=845&p=9228&hilit=trailer#p9228

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3508&p=9249&hilit=trailer#p9249

Im still at home, so I can use the mini-van, dads truck, moms 2000 328i, Chrysler cirrus, motorcycle zx6r, or my brothers Z 75 280z.

I prefer the mini-van as teh car to haul around all of my parts or go to the JY in. Ive fit engines in it no problem.

Edited by stravi757

My daily is a 02 Frontier Pickup. Plain Jane 4 Cyl, nothing speacial about her, other than she is awesome! Ice cold AC and good gas mileage.

I've got a 16' car trailer that is super wide, not to long and sits very low to the ground that I picked up a year or so ago. I have $650 in the trailer. What was funny was when I bought the trailer I did a test run with the empty trailer and the trailer owner, he was like this is a 4 Cyl?

I got tired of renting tow dolly's. I know I rented at least 10 from Uhaul at 47.xx each time and then the hasle associated with it. The trailer has paid for itself many times now and I know I can likely get more than what I've paid it.

I'm pretty sure I need a clutch soon, but she pulls great. The biggest I've towed was late a 90's path finder.

I think I will always own a truck now.

Oh, if you decide to buy a car trailer, make sure it can fit in the garage with a car on it. For awhile I was parking it in the garage with my Z on it. I was able to safely drive my Z on and off while the trailer was parked in the garage. This way you don't have to pay storage and no hassle from the Home owners association.

TruckTrl.jpg

Trailer.jpg

Edited by JSM

post-4699-064165000 1285532634_thumb.jpg

This is my 91' Dodge Colt Vista that I DD and I also use it to pick up parts sometimes. It has 4WD, a 5 speed that with only 4 gears that work, <_< and probably about 60 hp :D. It seats 7 but I never seat that many because it would never get up the hills around here, but folding down all the seats makes enough room for lots of parts and yes those are my datsun rims B) It's currently out of commission with a spark issue, Its been giving me lots of heck lately, We may just sell it and buy a truck.

The S30 2+2 has way more room in the back with the seats folded down, I would have thought it would be the other way but My 2+2 has tons of room. Perfect for long trips and traveling. :D

Actaulllyy, you're wrong bud. You're seeing my speaker box there. (my quite large speaker box)

I can still sit a 20 gallon cooler in there.

DSCN1989.jpg

And Im 6'1" and I was able to make out with my ex pretty reasonably back there. :wink:

Edited by 280zx 2by2

Actaulllyy, you're wrong bud. You're seeing my speaker box there. (my quite large speaker box)

Mine measures from the the middle of furthest point on the seat when its down to the rear interior light panel 53 1/2 inches and 48 inches wide at the widest point and 2 feet from the bases of the rear shock towers. I would love to see some measurements from yours or someone elses Zx I'm just curious and I Hope I'm not thread jacking to much, If you want to send me a pm with measurements that would be better.

post-4699-076946400 1285552792_thumb.jpg

Mine measures from the the middle of furthest point on the seat when its down to the rear interior light panel 53 1/2 inches and 48 inches wide at the widest point and 2 feet from the bases of the rear shock towers. I would love to see some measurements from yours or someone elses Zx I'm just curious and I Hope I'm not thread jacking to much, If you want to send me a pm with measurements that would be better.

post-4699-076946400 1285552792_thumb.jpg

Hmm looks closer than I thought but I still think there might be another 10-12 inches in the s130 2+2.

Ill check tomorrow, I think I have a tape measure in my glove box.

Hmm looks closer than I thought but I still think there might be another 10-12 inches in the s130 2+2.

Ill check tomorrow, I think I have a tape measure in my glove box.

Awesome, I think your CARGO AREA may be longer.

Edited by 19752802+2

I usually use my '76 toyota pickup truck to go to my nearest junkyard/auto parts store and around town trips, but when is time to go a little far (specially when I need to use the freeway) I use my wife's '01 rav4 because my toyota truck can't go over 65mph and uses the double amount of gas trying to hold the 60mph. But honestly I love that rusty truck.

I've nearly always had 2 cars once I got the cash to buy a second... after a run of a couple of sedans (mitsubishi Galant Sigma, followed by Nissan Laurel Medallist) I ended up with a Honda Prelude coupe and a Isuzu Bighorn SUV, what you guys call a Isuzu Trooper II... late 80's advertisements I saw on the troopers club site said the trooper was the second biggest capacity rear on the US market behind the Suburban, so plenty of carry space. Later with a MGF convertible I had a D21 Nissan Navara 2WD LWB ute. an Nissan Hardbody or Pickup to you stateside.

Currently I'm down to one daily driver, a Nissan Serena Van, with a non-roadlegal toyota Hilux Surf (4runner stateside) for farm duties, a '71 Peugeot 504 needing new brakes and a carb rebuild but otherwise primo, and the '79 on blocks in a hayshed with the Cleveland 302 in the workshop to one day fit in it.

the Serena has carried quite a few loads of parts around... including a L20B, RD28, Rover V8, two gearboxes, and more... vans have benefits when it comes to DRY loadcarrying when a pickup can be a bit damp when it rains :P