HybridZ

Who is genuinely interested in buying LSx LONG TUBE Headers for S30's?

Hey guys, its been asked on this forum about long tube headers for our LSx powered S30's several times.

There are those that have the skill and have successfully made their own, but don't seem to want to reproduce them for profit. Due to the frequent questions on the subject to myself, Hybridz, LS1Tech, etc I have decided that if there is enough interest (5 or more sets) I will have a prototype set built and have them copied/reproduced for resale. These will be made of stainless steel with 1/2" header flanges, 1 7/8" primaries, 3" collectors, O2 bungs in each collector, and use a V-band for the collectors (leak proof). These will offer excellent spark plug wire clearence and well as 'hugging' pretty close to the floor for maximum ground clearence without causing carpet to burn or shoes to melt. These will be used with the JCI LSx mounting kit btw.

Long tube headers will make AT LEAST 20+ rwhp more that the current aftermarket choices available which aren't much better than stock manifolds IMHO. Many folks are limited to smaller cam choices due to the lack of long tube headers available. Of course being made from stainless steel is a nice bonus too.

If this goes according to plan, headpipes with 'H' or 'X' pipes in 2.5" diameter (also in stainless steel) will also be offered. The headpipes will end just in front of the forward diff crossmember allowing the customer the choice of continuing with dual exhaust (one on each side with something than a stock S30 gas tank), or merging into a single pipe for a stock location muffler. These will include a manual cutout feature as well. These will fit both 4L60e and T-56 transmissions (may need a prototype car for the T-56 fitment). The headpipes will run about $250 with the cutouts installed and sold with or without the purchase of a set headers.

I am sure everyone is wondering the big question...how much for the headers? It will all depend on my header suppler on what the cost is going to be per set to reproduce them. I don't have an exact figure....yet. What I can tell you is they will be AT LEAST $500+ a pair, but shouldn't be more than $750 per pair (waiting to hear back).

I know there has been alot of folks that promise the moon and the stars (with headers and other things) and nothing ever comes from it. Those who know me personally and/or professionally know that I am not the sort to NOT follow-through on a project, especially when it comes to customers.

Lastly, since I am just gauging interest at this time, I am NOT accepting money/deposits. When I have a prototype set completed and a final cost for production sets, then I will start collecting deposits/payments.

So LSx S30 guys, what do you think?

Thanks for reading!!

Edited by Cable

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cable, sounds awesome! I would buy a set of long tubes for sure. This way I can build my LS1 to the specs I really want. The exhaust pipe diameters are perfect, and mimic what all the LS1 builders suggest for headers, and are the sizes recommended on LS1tech for making 500WHP out of an NA LS1. Thanks!

I'm also interested but have custom made motor mounts that centers and sets the engine back. My engine setup is like yours, LQ4 with truck excessories/ sanderson 1 3/4 headers. For reference, the position of the engine is such that the front dampner is 3/8" behind the rack & 3/8" above the xmember. Also the third primary pipe on the drivers side header sits directly across from rubber steering dampner (3/8" clearance). Once you have finish your 1 7/8 prototype I would appreciate a little information trade to see if they will work.

Thanks Dan

i would be interested also, like to see the prototype and best estimate on price prior to firm commitment though.

Totally. I want anyone/everyone seeing what they are buying BEFORE any money is exchanged. However, just for the sake of argument, let's assume that each set will cost $750. That way everyone knows what the cost COULD be, if it ends up being lower, that would be even better.

I would be interested as well. In what kind of time frame do you see this happening?

I plan on having the prototype set built within a week or so, then they get sent off to the header producer for a quote to copy them. I'd say less than 2 months from today before the first production set is completed.

I'd be interested as well pending price and how well fitment is.

Fitment will be the same or slightly better than the Sanderson's currently sold by JTR. See pricing above ;)

I would consider a set depending on the timeframe

Ken, see above ;)

I'm also interested but have custom made motor mounts that centers and sets the engine back. My engine setup is like yours, LQ4 with truck excessories/ sanderson 1 3/4 headers. For reference, the position of the engine is such that the front dampner is 3/8" behind the rack & 3/8" above the xmember. Also the third primary pipe on the drivers side header sits directly across from rubber steering dampner (3/8" clearance). Once you have finish your 1 7/8 prototype I would appreciate a little information trade to see if they will work.

If the Sanderson headers (that JTR sells) work on your custom setup, then these will work too.

Edited by Cable

Glad I waited on headers and cam! I definitely see some stainless sparks flying out from under my Z in the near future! Let's see some ground clearance pics with the prototype installed.....Not like it would be a problem for me, i'm in.

Have you thought of offering ceramic coated steel as an option? Woohoo,

Finally, some real headers. Shorties just suck........

Cable, you have about 10 confirmed (pending details) already. Might want to think about bumping up the first batch from 5 to 10, if not even more... Just food for thought. Thanks again!

They would sell for sure...

Cable, just in case you don't make more than 5...... I'm #4!

I was just under the car and did some measuring. I am using a LS1 and T56. all with the JCI mounting. if the collector is 3" it would have to be reduced to 2.5 since there is not enough room under the transmission mount.

Are you talking about the piping after the collector being reduced, or the collector itself? A lot of the big power LS1 guys (CFB) will run a 3 inch collector, and then 2.5 inch piping all the way back to the muffler(s)anyway.

Edited by mxgsfmdpx

Are you talking about the piping after the collector being reduced, or the collector itself? A lot of the big power LS1 guys (CFB) will run a 3 inch collector, and then 2.5 inch piping all the way back to the muffler(s)anyway.

It does not look there is enough room for a 3" collector. that size seems would almost the trans. another small issue the a full header is that I think it would be a very tight fit. Ill take some pictures with a measuring tape to see.

I was just under the car and did some measuring. I am using a LS1 and T56. all with the JCI mounting. if the collector is 3" it would have to be reduced to 2.5 since there is not enough room under the transmission mount.

I agree! There is limited room plus the 1 7/8 into 3" would be loud given the limited room for mufflers. Not sure if the bump in size would be worth the drone in the passenger compartment. Also, the gain in hp vs 1 1/2 into 2 1/2 would be negligible IMHO