HybridZ

Question. What would you pay?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/2017242834.html

This Z just popped up on my local CL the other day. I've been looking for a clean 240z for sometime now, and a "rust free" Z is rare in VA. I plan on trying to go down this weekend to check it out. Do you all think the seller's asking price is fair, if he is thruthful about the rust? (Which from my experience... never is the case)

Hasn't been driven since 1998? That probably means it hasn't been maintained since 1998. IMHO his asking price is not fair, especially because of its stated need for engine repair. You are right, the rust is probably an underlying issue, like it is with any Z. I would inspect the hell out of it, bring a mechanic, and then start subtracting from the asking price based on that.

Just from reading the ad, I get a few subtle hints about the car... "in good condition"... so it's not in great condition? "99% rust free" meaning... it needs some rust repair somewhere. Things like that make me uneasy about it.

Find a Running Clean 70 for less in better shape and buy it.

I don't think you will.

Depending on what the VIN was, I'd be interested in it! It's a mirror image of my 70, HLS30-06330!

That is by no means an outrageous price for a running car in that overall shape. Especially in that neck of the woods.

Decent exterior paint job? Check

Got all the interior trim in good shape, all of the exterior trim, lights, bezels too? Check

Is everything there? Sure looks like it.

Truly rust free? Yet to be determined.

If this car is solid I'd say its most definitely worth what he is asking. It is always better to spend a little more outright and buy something with a solid, clean foundation to build on. I bought a structurally solid and straight non-runner with a horrible exterior and interior for $900 and have spent nearly twice this seller's asking price to get it looking as nice as this one already is.

Did I learn a lot in the process? Sure. Would I trade away those experiences? No, but could I have saved plenty of time and expense by just spending a bit more on a nicer car? Absolutely.

Uh, yeah it's a 70, come on it looks good just check it for rust. Are you planning on doing a Hybrid conversion on the car? I wouldn't, not on that one. It appears to be good candidate for restoration (yes I said it).

I'd snag it before it's gone!

Uh, yeah it's a 70, come on it looks good just check it for rust. Are you planning on doing a Hybrid conversion on the car? I wouldn't, not on that one. It appears to be good candidate for restoration (yes I said it).

I'd snag it before it's gone!

I'm with this guy! Save the clean original ones for the guys who want a stock one. They're only original once.

My original idea was to swap in the l28et sitting in my garage. But with my low HP goals I have considered just rebuilding the stock engine. So if anyone needs an l28et, let me know and buy it before I am tempted to put it in this.

Edited by Gigantor

In our aria, for a good clean running Z, that is not too bad. My first z ran, but just, was missing parts, leaked every fluid, was missing lights, oh, and had major rust issues and I bought it for more than 1/2 that.

I would however take the above suggestion and knock the price down for every little issue found. Also, I would truly verify this 99% rust free thing.

Good luck, I will take a look at it if you want.

Well the Z was as described. Drove GREAT. And the original owner had it rust proofed on day one (originally from canada). I am definitely going to pick it up. Pics to come

I think you will be more than happy. Rust is not fun, nor rewarding to fix in my mind. It's one of those things you don't want in a car!

im with the rest on keeping it original and not modifying anything really....i hate to be a "purist" but at the same time why pay a good price for a nice car and shoot yourself in the face by modifying it. If you want to mod something go with a later year/280z, you get the efi already, tank, pump, etc...not to mention you get the r200, better brakes, axles, etc seriously i dont get why people get so hung up on taillights and turn signals....when you could just start with a much better platform.

But its a debate that im sure will never go away, good luck on it, and id keep it original and just buy a later shell to put your parts into. -Jeff