HybridZ

RHD 260z craigslist

stravi757

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2021873224.html Its a 2+2

Someone should buy this car. I went to go see it today. I really wanted to buy it but it has some damage to rear taillight panel and right rear quarter panel. Car looked pretty solid and complete otherwise. Engine looked like it was in pretty good shape. I didn't see any major rust(didnt get a look under the car)

Guy is asking like 500 for it. Somebody should go get it, there aren't to many RHD Z's laying around.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2021873224.html Its a 2+2

Someone should buy this car. I went to go see it today. I really wanted to buy it but it has some damage to rear taillight panel and right rear quarter panel. Car looked pretty solid and complete otherwise. Engine looked like it was in pretty good shape. I didn't see any major rust(didnt get a look under the car)

Guy is asking like 500 for it. Somebody should go get it, there aren't to many RHD Z's laying around.

There aren't many around because there isn't much of a purpose for them. I mean, I would buy a coupe if I got one cheap, it would be neat to own. Just, a 2+2 that is beat up and not in very good condition isn't really worth much. It just makes it dangerous to pass and harder to drive in the US. Neat find non the less.

As the owner of three S30 RHD 2/2's, I find this statement smacking of ignorance, please explain what you mean:

"It just makes it dangerous to pass and harder to drive in the US."

I don't have a problem passing, and I have no issues driving especially in SoCal where most drivethru burger places have windows on the right AND left sides of the buildings!

Now, the ADVANTAGES of an RHD 2/2? I don't know, mine is about 2695# with a full tank of gas and my (at the time) 255# corpus in it... You do the math when they come with 4.11 or 4.38 differentials STOCK.

Maybe that's why my 76 2/2 runs consistent 15.30's and US Specification slug-coupes are in the 16.50 range in the 1/4 mile.

I head home on Friday, and if that car is still available I'd seriously consider picking it up. For nothing else, but spares of RHD specific parts. The prejudice against 2/2's is borne from ignorance, the RHD phobia? Perhaps a general inability to drive... Don't know, but I haven't had a problem since owning one since 1985 (coupe or 2/2)!

As the owner of three S30 RHD 2/2's, I find this statement smacking of ignorance, please explain what you mean:

"It just makes it dangerous to pass and harder to drive in the US."

Perhaps a general inability to drive... Don't know, but I haven't had a problem since owning one since 1985 (coupe or 2/2)!

Ok, scenario, you are on a 2 lane road, behind a large truck, lets not even say a semi. The truck is traveling a lower rate of speed than you would like to. So, you would like to pass the truck. You cannot see the on coming traffic and you cannot get far enough over to see around the truck without putting you and your car in danger of on coming traffic. That is how it is dangerous. I don't see what is so damned hard to understand about that? Its dangerous to pass anyway, there is an increased risk passing on a two lane road in a right hand steer car.

I have driven rhd cars. I have driven them on roads they are meant to be driven on. There is nothing different about driving them. The shifter is on the opposite sides and the signals and wipers are flipped. Also most newer Japanese cars have super cool buttons that fold in the mirrors.

My purpose to my post was my OPINION on a RHD car. I said I thought it would be neat to own one. I do not like the body look of the 2+2, that is why I (note I) would not own a 2+2, RHD or LHD. I also would not spend any more money on a RHD car than I would a LHD car in equal condition. Once again, this is my opinion.

Now, it is a fact that it will indeed be more difficult to see around vehicles, to check for one coming traffic on 2 lane roads, to make a pass. Do you argue against this or have details to support opposition to this statement?

Edited by ModernS30

There aren't many around because there isn't much of a purpose for them. I mean, I would buy a coupe if I got one cheap, it would be neat to own. Just, a 2+2 that is beat up and not in very good condition isn't really worth much. It just makes it dangerous to pass and harder to drive in the US. Neat find non the less.

Well I disagree with you, I think the 2+2's are pretty cool and I wouldn't mind owning one(especially a RHD), plus if your gonna use a z as mainly a daily driver i would take a 2+2 over a coupe any day. And I dont know why you bring up it being difficult to drive? I think you woould have any problems with visibility with a RHD seeing as I literally have no blind spots in my Z, I dont know about yours...

I just dont really see it being a safety issue, and besides If I was worried about safety that much, I wouldn't be riding my motorcycle.

Anyways some should get this, like I said the car is pretty much complete, dash only has a few small cracks, all the gauges are there, the interior is in good shape ect. If I wasn't broke and didn't have two Z's already, this would already be mine.

I just dont really see it being a safety issue, and besides If I was worried about safety that much, I wouldn't be riding my motorcycle.

So, your not worried about your safety so that gives you the right to put others in danger? So you are telling me you have no morals? ;) If you cannot see the oncoming traffic from behind a truck, semi, or even another car, without pulling out into oncoming traffic, THIS IS DANGEROUS. I really do not see where your idea of how that is no unsafe is coming from? I am asking for supporting details that back up your side of the argument. Besides "I just don't really see it being a safety issue."

My reasoning is, you are on the far side of the vehicle. If you are on the inside of the vehicle (side closest to the center line) then you can move the vehicle that gives you enough vision to know if oncoming traffic is coming without actually being in a collision path with the on coming traffic. If you are on the outside edge of the car (closets the the rumble strips) then you will have to move all the way into a collision path with on coming traffic to see if there is in fact on coming traffic. That makes this a safety issue.

Now, I did say it was sorta neat, RHD and all. I see your are stating your opinion on liking a 2+2 and all. I respect that. B)

So, your not worried about your safety so that gives you the right to put others in danger?

Yup

So you are telling me you have no morals?
Basically

;) If you cannot see the oncoming traffic from behind a truck, semi, or even another car, without pulling out into oncoming traffic, THIS IS DANGEROUS.

I mean...I think thats a risk im willing to take. What about a mailman, I never hear of them constantly getting into accidents.

]My reasoning is, you are on the far side of the vehicle. If you are on the inside of the vehicle (side closest to the center line) then you can move the vehicle that gives you enough vision to know if oncoming traffic is coming without actually being in a collision path with the on coming traffic.If you are on the outside edge of the car (closets the the rumble strips) then you will have to move all the way into a collision path with on coming traffic to see if there is in fact on coming traffic. That makes this a safety issue.

I have have an excellent sense of boundaries. And I find all of these risks to be minimal at best.

Now, I did say it was sorta neat, RHD and all. I see your are stating your opinion on liking a 2+2 and all. I respect that. B)

Thanks

Edited by stravi757

I'm with ModernS30, I don't recall ever seeing a mailman pass anything. I have a RHD 510 to drive, and I feel it is quite dangerous when passing trucks on the 2 lane. Cars you can generally see thru, but trucks leave you blind.

My $.02

Mongo

So you are basing your opinion on one possible scenario? If the road is that strait, why not drive a little onto the should to look ahead of the truck to see if it's clear? why not fall back enough away from the truck to see next to it and then move over to see if it's clear to pass? The only way a RHD car, or anything is dangerous is because you make it dangerous.

Hoov100, I get the feeling you have not spent much time behind the wheel of a RHD vehicle. If you fall back enough to see around the offending truck, You do not have enough room to pass unless it is a very long straight.

It is my feeling that any time spent in the oncoming traffic lane, without an escape route, is a risk that increases with the time spent in the oncoming lane. But hey, it's your life.(and of course anyone else you may kill)

Mongo

"Ok, senario, you are on a 2 lane road, behind a large truck, lets not even say a semi. The truck is traveling a lower rate of speed than you would like to. So, you would like to pass the truck. You cannot see the on comming traffic and you cannot get far enough over to see around the truck without putting you and your car in danger of on coming traffic. That is how it is dangerous. I don't see what is so damned hard to understand about that? Its dangerous to pass anyway, there is an increased risk passing on a two lane road in a right hand steer car. "

YOu have never driven an RHD Drive Vehicle in America, have you? Nor an LHD Vehicle overseas. I have done both. It is neither dangerous or anything more than a driving adjustment that needs to be made. If you think 'laying back' doesn't give you room to pass, then you have spent FAR too much time driving on America's Interstates.

Driving is a dead art here, nobody knows how to properly pass and it's evidenced by the TERRIBLE technique evinced in this ignorant rebuttal. Proper overtaking IS NOT DONE ON THE ASS OF THE VEHICLE YOU INTEND TO PASS! That's called TAILGATING and is EVEN MORE UNSAFE than any attmpted passing manouvre. If you are so close that you have to duck your car out into the oncoming lane to determine if it's 'clear' then you haven't been properly instructed on driving and overtaking and that's the end of the discussion in this thread.

If you don't know how to drive, please don't blame the equipment.

If you've never done it making an ASSumption leads to this kind of exchange.

"It's Dangerous to Pass" is the ONLY thing you have said that has merit. LHD or RHD makes no difference. Two lane road or more, makes no difference. Your driving technique needs gross improvement!

Hoov100, I get the feeling you have not spent much time behind the wheel of a RHD vehicle. If you fall back enough to see around the offending truck, You do not have enough room to pass unless it is a very long straight.

It is my feeling that any time spent in the oncoming traffic lane, without an escape route, is a risk that increases with the time spent in the oncoming lane. But hey, it's your life.(and of course anyone else you may kill)

Mongo

Thank you Mongo for having an understanding of my reasoning here. I honestly think they are arguing for the sack of arguing. They are right and we are wrong, in their heads at least. I don't understand why some people have such a hard time accepting that somebody brought up good reasoning. While they have given nothing to firmly support their claim.

As for only passing on a 2 lane road. We can try turning across traffic when there is another car turning across your direction of traffic in front of you, probably a bit difficult. Also, mail carriers do not pass people. Typically they are not driving very fast in their vehicles.

I think with the direction this thread has gone it needs to be moved to a more suitable tech forum. To go along with a move I think the threads title should be changed to why RHD or LHD. Maybe we can get a good clean discussion about the advantages/disadvantages to a RHD car to be driven on the street. It seems the thread has gone towards an argument of that sort anyhow. The only problem is there is only data supporting one side. I would honestly like some facts of why a RHD car is not a safety risk. Maybe why it is a better car? I don't think you will come up with very many, if any, reason.

BTW a statement of opinion is opent to attack if it's showing evidence of ignorance or incomplete thought.

That someone brings up a different point that may be just as valid.

Driving a VW Microbus, overtaking is a 'lay back, plan ahead' and I will say this: it is FAR easier for me to overtake in an RHD Z, and the safety is much higher being able to pass in the onciming for mere seconds, than it EVER was in a VW trying to pass someone at even 45 in a 55 zone!

Laying back and passing with clear visibility is not anything all that difficult, especially when you have the power to pass. People have grown used to the interstates and I doubt driver's ed today even teaches proper overtaking.

The position to overtake is NOT behind the vehicle so close that you can't see around it (LHD or RHD). And a statement that it's dangerous is plain wrong (and opinions CAN be wrong!)

Don't make the move from ignorance to stupidity. Being ill informed or basing things on incomplete knowledge or assumptions is one thing. Being presented with evidence and steadfastly adhering and not being willing to even entertain the thought your original supposition was incorrect is the definition of something other than plain forgivable ignorance. When informed of the situation and the variables, refusing to change the stance is stupidity.

With probably more miles behind a RHD vehicle in the USA than I ever drove in Japan in 5 years...I think I've got a pretty good idea of what it's like to drive an RHD here (probably 5 to 10K miles a year since getting my RHD here in SoCal in 1991)

I also had to drive BIG USA Built LHD trucks in Japan. As well as smaller US Sedans (LHD) in the world of RHD (Japan, U.K.)

The statement 'its dangerous' is the same as guys saying 'it's harder to shift with the other hand'---either there is a mental block or challenge, or you've never really done it. It's no great shakes. It doesn't take Yogi Bear to do this, my bud Drew can drive his RHD Celica here and he's not Steven Hawking when it comes to brain activity. Probably more along the line of Tommy Chong's Character in 'Up in Smoke'...when stoned. If he can do it, it's NOT that hard.

"Ok, scenario, you are on a 2 lane road, behind a large truck, lets not even say a semi. The truck is traveling a lower rate of speed than you would like to. So, you would like to pass the truck. You cannot see the on coming traffic and you cannot get far enough over to see around the truck without putting you and your car in danger of on coming traffic. That is how it is dangerous. I don't see what is so damned hard to understand about that? Its dangerous to pass anyway, there is an increased risk passing on a two lane road in a right hand steer car. "

YOu have never driven an RHD Drive Vehicle in America, have you? Nor an LHD Vehicle overseas. I have done both. It is neither dangerous or anything more than a driving adjustment that needs to be made. If you think 'laying back' doesn't give you room to pass, then you have spent FAR too much time driving on America's Interstates.

Driving is a dead art here, nobody knows how to properly pass and it's evidenced by the TERRIBLE technique evinced in this ignorant rebuttal. Proper overtaking IS NOT DONE ON THE ASS OF THE VEHICLE YOU INTEND TO PASS! That's called TAILGATING and is EVEN MORE UNSAFE than any attmpted passing manouvre. If you are so close that you have to duck your car out into the oncoming lane to determine if it's 'clear' then you haven't been properly instructed on driving and overtaking and that's the end of the discussion in this thread.

If you don't know how to drive, please don't blame the equipment.

If you've never done it making an ASSumption leads to this kind of exchange.

"It's Dangerous to Pass" is the ONLY thing you have said that has merit. LHD or RHD makes no difference. Two lane road or more, makes no difference. Your driving technique needs gross improvement!

Tony,

This is directed at you, and you only. You are a real ******* when it comes to posting. I mean, where do you get off yelling at people? You have been here for a while, yes, you may have driven all kinds of cars. I know how to properly pass. I never said you tailgate somebody. I especially never said you should pull into oncoming traffic to see if you are clear. This is EXACTLY what I was saying you would want to avoid doing. You have no concrete facts, you keep stating your opinion I "cannot drive". I am honestly sick and tired of your posts that are not even contributing. They are just bashing another member. You never try to put insight on the subject. Instead you force your ideas on people, at the same time just bashing the others ideas.

If anybody has a problem with the fact that I called Tony an *******, you can clearly see above that he was calling me an ass, so I see nothing wrong with it. I really liked this forum when I got here. It has been very helpful. I think that the way information is being gathered, has failed. Everybody is so up tight. Just because you have a large post count does not make you always correct. Tony is a fantastic example of the fact that he is afraid of being wrong. He can't simply accept the fact that I have brought up a valid point. I think I am done with this thread now. I have nothing else to say, I look forward to seeing this in the shed or hard deleted in about 30 or less minutes.

Edited by ModernS30

Yes, I may be an A$$, or an A-Hole, but I'm also one with four RHD vehicles that I have been driving in the USA continually since 1991.

How many to you own? How many have you driven?

"Yelling" is in fact the fact that were you in front of me I'd be RAISING my voice to punctuate the statement. You want to call it yelling, I call it PUNCTUATION!

You made a statement based on reasoning without EVER having driven the vehicle. It's like you're giving sex advice as a virgin. You read about it someplace, and heard this or that....and are passing it on.

I, on the other hand, am the RHD *****. Full of years of experience and willing to share whatever I have. And what I have is probably 100,000 miles+ of driving in RHD vehicles here in the states and never having ANY of the problems you SUPPOSE you will have.

And again---you said you can't see past the vehicle. If you can't, YOU ARE TOO CLOSE! This is a FACT. Overtaking is not done from DIRECTLY BEHIND another vehicle! LHD or RHD.

You state you have a valid point IN YOUR OPINION, and refuse to change it. I have one based on 20 years of EXPERIENCE---which one is more valid? Are they EQUALLY valid? Which should be subject to revision?

Should it be the one based on 'thought'?

Or the one based on EXPERIENCE?

I might say that someone who has done it MIGHT (maybe) have a little more valid contribution to make. But you have discounted that, thrown it out or ignored it entirely. But I'm the terrible oagre here.

Be open to the possiblity you have 'thought wrong'... That you are standing on a TECHNICAL point that in PRACTICAL everyday application means not jack shite!

This IS a possiblity that has not occured to you, I can see that. Hopefully you will see it as well.

Making a statement that RHD vehicles are DANGEROUS in the USA is plain ignorant. FACTS and hundreds of thousands of miles driven by THOUSANDS of RHD vehicles in the USA tend to make that point for me without having to argue. If it was a big deal, I'm sure the media and the regulators would make you convert them when importing (like in Australia---who curiously now has relaxed that requirement...wonder why?)

Keep an open mind towards those who have done, especially when you haven't!

"You never try to put insight on the subject. Instead you force your ideas on people, at the same time just bashing the others ideas. "

Force my ideas? Is that the same as 'advocating a stance'? I thought that was what debate was about? If someone posts a wrongheaded idea, is it not right to conter point? I have counterpointed from experience a position you advocated from 'thinking about it'... If you are offended at the possibility that 'you thought wrong' or perhaps my examples cause you to doubt your position...maybe that's what it's intended to do. Making a ridiculous statement like "RHD Vehicles make Passing Dangerous and are Harder to Drive"---you haven't given any factual statement to support it in ether case. Harder to drive is plain wrong on the face. Passing Dangerous? It is inherently dangerous, but no more so than in an LHD vehicle. I have no visibility problems in an RHD vehicle. S30, S31, S130---got them all, along with having a Sunny Pulsar GTi-R that I scooted around in for a couple weeks. Not a problem.

So what do you do with that, this is not being contrarian. Is it because I'm some Super Uber-Driver? I would like to think NOT. I would like to think I have no 'special driving powers'---so what explains the FACT that I do not experience the dread or problems you apparently experience when simply THINKING about RHD vehicles? How do you reconcile that?

Edited by Tony D

"manoeuvre noun ( MOVEMENT ) UK (US maneuver) /məˈnuË.vÉ™r//-vÉš/ n

[C] a movement or set of movements needing skill and care

Reversing round a corner is one of the manoeuvres you are required to perform in a driving test."

Edited by Tony D