HybridZ

Cars that will take an L6

NewZed

I have a spare L28 and 4 speed in my garage and lots of free time. I'm looking for other car models that will take an L28 without too much modification.

So far I've seen an Austin Healey 3000 over on zcar.com (way out of my budget), and heard of some Z31s and Z32s. Has anyone seen or heard of any other interesting L6 engine swaps, sports cars or otherwise? I'm trying to put together a list of possibilities that I can look for, for a low budget winter-time project. Something that will actually produce a useful car in the end though, so a 63 Pontiac Bonneville swap, for example, might not be viable. Thanks for any ideas.

there was a z3 swapped with one i believe. could do a supra I would think, camaro's or mustangs would weigh a bit much. datsun roadster? old rwd maxima's came form the factory... but a boosted one would be super sleeper! I've seen omni's with v8's stuffed in so... heck theres a rwd civic(civette) thats on youtube with a v8, but that would be alot of work(depending on fabrication level might be looked at as simple?) ah also the ford focuse came in awd in europe i believe, so rear diff and but i think that the i6 would be a bit long aking you need to cut the firewall a bit.. toyota carolla, celica, from early 80's rwd.... but I'm intereseted in what wild crazy zainy ideas that are came up with!!!! how about a locost? one of those low budget build your own sports cars.... I've thought time and time again, just never put it into action....

Edited by stprasinz

The Opel GT is MADE for a KA24 or SR20 Swap, not an L6.

Mantissan Swap

Yeah, I got an Opel GT in the back, and that KA swap looks more daily driver useable than hacking in an L6!

You want one that I saw personally and which looked factory was a 1963 Ford Falcon Ranchero. Five Speed and all!

1965-ford-ranchero-picture.jpg

Admittedly this is a modified version of the venerable 144 CID (Yes, 2400CC!!!) OEM Six in the Falcon, so you can see the L28 is an OBVIOUS swap---though the bits are 'wrongside oriented'

mufp_060500_09z+1963_Ford_Futura_Turbo+Engine_Passenger_Side.jpg

Sotck Is Stock:

1963%20Ford%20Falcon%20(32)%20%5BWebsite%5D.JPG

Edited by Tony D

Admittedly this is a modified version of the venerable 144 CID (Yes, 2400CC!!!) OEM Six in the Falcon, so you can see the L28 is an OBVIOUS swap---though the bits are 'wrongside oriented'

This was a nice reminder of my first car, a 1961 XK Falcon running the same 144 engine connected to a two speed auto, I used to brag, saying I could hit 50 miles an hour in first.. ( http://en.wikipedia..../Ford_XK_Falcon )

in the end I put a 250 XFlow with a Toyota steel 5 speed, and a EH Holden diff running a 308 center on 13 inch hot wire rims..

it was a nice "Charger" killer.. ( http://en.wikipedia....hrysler_Charger )

Nigel

post-2090-089245100 1289805751_thumb.jpg

post-2090-001874600 1289805816_thumb.jpg

Edited by Noddle

This was a nice reminder of my first car, a 1961 XK Falcon running the same 144 engine connected to a two speed auto, I used to brag, saying I could hit 50 miles an hour in first.. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_XK_Falcon )

in the end I put a 250 XFlow with a Toyota steel 5 speed, and a EH Holden diff running a 308 center on 13 inch hot wire rims..

a nice Charger killer.. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Charger )

Hehehe, I can see that....nice one

The mid 60's falcons and rancheros are indeed quite quintessentially the "bomb diggity".

All the same weight and handling potential as the early mustangs, which "isn't bad" when done right. The share lots of common Ford bits and are much more socially bendable compared to the pony car. A '64 falcon can show up just about anywhere and be cool, and to some level respected by all.

Putting a L engine in one would be just the right "twist" to common methodology in my very humble but honest opinion.

Edited by Gollum

it was a nice "Charger" killer... Nigel

Didn't have time to wiki this stuff, but my only response to that line when I saw it was:

"E49?"

Now some may need a Wiki to figure that one out, but likely not Nigel...

Quote from Tony D referring to his first encounter with an E49:

"Wow, if they sold THESE in the USA when I was a kid, I just may have considered buying AMERICAN!" (With the obvious current GTO/"American" quandary! :D )

Didn't have time to wiki this stuff, but my only response to that line when I saw it was:

"E49?"

Now some may need a Wiki to figure that one out, but likely not Nigel...

Quote from Tony D referring to his first encounter with an E49:

"Wow, if they sold THESE in the USA when I was a kid, I just may have considered buying AMERICAN!" (With the obvious current GTO/"American" quandary! :D )

Maybe I should rephrase my statement, saying "it was a nice "Charger" killer", (265 hemi, not the v8's..) but my friends only had the 6 cylinder version.

Thanks for the ideas. If the Ranchero and Falcon are possibilities, then the Mustang should be in there too, I assume? I checked the weights and the E30, Ford products and the Chevy II all look in the 280Z ball park. Firebirds and Camaros are surprisingly heavy.

That E30 looks like a tight fit.

I am curious about the 240K in Noddle's sig though. Is there a US analog or is that Asia only? And I would guess the Maxima and 810 are Datsun options (maybe they are the 240K analogs?). I think that I've seen a 510 with an L6 but not sure. I've only been on these forums for a little over a year so haven't absorbed it all.

I wiki'ed E49 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Valiant_Charger - I'm starting to understand how the Mad Max movies came about...

Mustang yes.

240K not available in the USA sad to say...

Search on '510Six' and you will see a user here with the L6 conversion on his 510...

I would say the best '10' swap is a later Maxima Wagon, or the 810 wagon (earlier, but harder to find.)

I assisted in a Smog-Legal swap of one of these some years ago, and the guy is still running around in it! Very sleeperish, they never expect a Maxima Wagon (and if you get really spunky that live rearend swaps to a Ford9" really easy, just like a VG30ET in an RT43 Corona... (I'm shutting up now before the swap-gods punish me for crossbreeding species-al taboos!) :D

On the cheap side, I'd go older Maxima or S12 200SX.

If you wanna make a project out of it, go fer a Datsun powered "original American sportscar".

I.E. find a farm with this:

model-a-rustbuckets.jpg

...And turn it into this(w/ an L28):

patsroadster.jpg

Edited by Bob-omb

• 4 weeks later...