HybridZ

Used Motorcycle Questions

EvilC

the problem with bikes is that the cool looking fast bikes suck to ride for a long ride and the good long distance bikes are ugly.i bought a 2002 yamaha fz1 new and still have it.currently has about 22k miles on it.the bike works great but-the seat is too close to the pegs or my legs are too long.i was in las vegas for a week and rented a bmw r1200gs(so called adventure bike)for 2 days and did a ride through death valley.did about 150 miles of dirt.bike is very tall and you would have to be at least 5'8" to ride it.i really like that bike.its kind of ugly.but it settled into a good 90 mph criuse with the grip warmers on no problem.young guys buy sport bikes but eventually they either give up on bikes or move out of sport bikes.the insurence is only expensive if you want full coverage.my fz1 has never had full coverage because when it was new i was quoted $2400 a year.at 42 years old with no tickets i wasnt going to pay that much.i got basic pl/pd with a big uninsured motorist coverage instead.most of the young guys with liter bikes if i check out the tires they have squid strips-they are only worn in the middle

Lol, like this?

584554.jpg

How far you can go in one day on a bike is purely rider, I have gone 600 miles in a day comfortable on my 07, while others can barely do 100 miles on their goldwings.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This was my 3rd bike. Best I ever owned. 1978 Kawasaki 650 4 cyl. Bought it new.

I would suggest the best "balanced" bike. Good horse power/nimble handling.

Generally found in the 600-750cc range.

Just realize the dangers/risks involved.

I sold my 2003 Katana a few years ago.

Not sure about another.

A lot of good bikers are getting killed by bad auto/truck drivers. It's got me thinking.

Good luck.......

post-3495-008711100 1292025977_thumb.jpg

Edited by jasper

I've been riding for about 6 years and have rode maybe 70-80k miles in that time (I know I'm crazy).

First street bike was an Ninja 250 and I got rid of that about 8 months later for an 04 R6. I STRONGLY recommend a 600cc bike if you have never ridden. Honestly I recommend the 250 to learn on, then switch to a 600. 1000cc is just too much for a squid. With the 600 you can mess up a little (aka over revving when shifting down, accidentally slamming the throttle), the R1 won't be forgiving with that stuff.

As for insurance, at 16 I paid 600 for 6 months (full coverage) than after 6 months (no tickets), it dropped to 400 etc... now I pay less than $150 for 6 months with maximum coverage. I have Nationwide. Geiko, Progressive, etc wanted over $2000 a year so do your homework for insurance.

Honestly it's not really worth it. I come close at least once every time I ride and I don't even ride that crazy anymore. 99% of the time it's a cager on a cell phone :-|

I ride less than 500 miles a year now...

Just my .02

post-1991-035090500 1292053413_thumb.jpg

Edited by bens1088

The insurance myth is certainly overplayed, my mother started the largest office in our state and has moved on to manage all of them in the state, my current year cost for full coverage on my CBR600 (I just got as a winter project over 3 months ago) is only $965 (keep in mind I'm 17 with no tickets and also full coverage on my 280z and 2008 Tundra Crewmax, payed for by me.)

I've been building DownHill Mountain Bikes since I first was a shop slave at a local bike shop, which also carried Harley's/Ducati's. Downhill bikes and Motorcycles have a lot in common they taught me, check the frame, check the fork seals, check for wear marks, most of the marks should be on the lower half of the fork travel, if not it has been ridden fairly hard or has a blown shock. Check for solidity in the brakes, after all, you dont wanna have to try and go down a hill with no brakes on a crotch rocket, check for a tick in the motor, its most likely just valve timing but when your dealing with the low amount of cylinders it can create much more havoc than it could on 6 cylinders. As Hoov said, check for aftermarket parts, it can tell you alot about the P.O.

For example: If it has been replaced with aftermarket parts, was it replaced with high performance parts? if so, what quality was used? That single thought process can tell you alot about that ex-rider.

Two words, GUT FEELING. Most people have a natural gut feeling for how the bike is, so go with it and just because its a good price, doesn't mean you have to go for it, no ones forcing you to sign or to pay for the repair costs the month or two later.

Thats just a fraction of what I could rant, I absolutely love anything with two wheels, especially motorcycles.

Overall, have fun with it!

Thanks,

Sean.

At 16 I started to learn from my step dads 07 250 ninja, after that I had to take a course in order to get my license so I got my license at 17 (Now 19). I ride my brothers 05 gsxr atleast once a week. I also dropped it once because I was in a rush and didnt have the kick stand out all the way. Im 5'4 and the gsxr is a perfect size for me. I also rode on my cousins 06 gsxr 1000 and wow does that thing fly! All I gotta say is be careful and happy riding.

• 2 months later...