HybridZ

Fuel Cell Can Cover

MONGO510

I have I have done a pretty thorough search of our site, and also studied the SCCA GCR, and I am still not clear as to what is allowed as a cover plate for my cell.

I know that it has to be enclosed in a 20Ga. steel can. The question I have is; Is it allowable to have the fuel cell " access/cover plate " flush mounted on the rear compartment floor? (gas cap and fittings exposed). Or does the entire assembly have to be behind, or under, a steel fire wall or cover?

Thanks,

Mongo

post-1170-032851800 1291922545_thumb.jpg

I have I have done a pretty thorough search of our site, and also studied the SCCA GCR, and I am still not clear as to what is allowed as a cover plate for my cell.

I know that it has to be enclosed in a 20Ga. steel can. The question I have is; Is it allowable to have the fuel cell " access/cover plate " flush mounted on the rear compartment floor? (gas cap and fittings exposed). Or does the entire assembly have to be behind, or under, a steel fire wall or cover?

Thanks,

Mongo

The entire fuel cell (including the center fill plate) needs to be separated from the passenger compartment by a metal cover.

ouch... I got some work to do before I can go to auto-x.... Is this all of the classes? I only have 2 under bars. I guess I am going to have to buy some more 1x1 and make my cage larger as well.

Most of the time you can buy the can ready to go from a fuel cell manufacturer. As for the cage, I would do two more bars on the sides and connect them to a "halo" at the top where you can through bolt the metal box.

you don't need it to be sealed off for autocross

Yes you do. Per the 2010 SCCA SOlo2 rule book: You are not allowed a non-OEM fuel cell in Stock or ST. SM, Prep, and Mod specifically require that a non-stock tank be sealed off by a separate bulkhead. In SP your fuel cell install must meet the requirements of the GCR.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of those tasks that too often get out of control. The cell needs a cover. No problem. You need a way to get to the filler. I made a 4.5" tall riser out of the same aluminum I used for the cover.

The riser is shaped like the oval found on top of the cell. I cut the oval out of the flat cover that goes from side to side from the strut towers back. I left two tabs to attach the riser. On top of the riser I put a lid with one simple hinge and a wing nut Dzus fastener to keep it closed.

I have seen what looked like enough metal to build the side a of a Greyhound bus covering fuel cells. Just seems to be adding weight for zero gain.

If needed I can snap a photo later.

Alan

How are you guys sealing the cover to the floor in the rear? I was thinking of getting some of that VW fender weatherstrip, or some thin foam weatherstrip and putting it around the edge of the hole so that the cover seals up. Looking to minimize exhaust fumes as much as prevent the gas from getting in around a leaky cover.

How are you guys sealing the cover to the floor in the rear? I was thinking of getting some of that VW fender weatherstrip, or some thin foam weatherstrip and putting it around the edge of the hole so that the cover seals up. Looking to minimize exhaust fumes as much as prevent the gas from getting in around a leaky cover.

In my case the cell has a lip that attaches to the 1x1 frame. The rear deck is sandwiched between the cell lip and the 1x1 steel frame. So the lip is sealed to the deck with some thin stick on foam. The cover that isolates the cell from the passenger compartment is not sealed. It just mates flush on top of the cell lip.

Pete

Totally sealing is a tough deal. I used some white aluminum to replaced the whole rear deck. It bolts to the cell frame using all of those 1/4" bolts. Along the edges I used Dzus fasteners..... not too many though. On the edge of the aluminum I used the push on channel molding like used to be used on door jamb frames.

Having the exhaust exit past the back of the car a bit seems to help on the CO problem. I've been gassed in Z Cars twice pretty badly. Never had a problem with mine:)

Alan