HybridZ

Arizona Z 5- Lug Brake Kit... What Rims To Use?

I talked to Dave at Arizona Z cars about his 5 jug brake kit for the S30 Datsuns and he indicated that the kit pushed the wheels out "about .75 inch" further then stock. My question to him was what does he recommend for a rim size on an unflared Z, understandably he was pretty vague. Does anyone on this forum have experience with this kit, if so what rims (size) did you use? Any other thoughts or advice on these regarding proper rim size would be appreciated as well.

From my understanding,

0mm offest on an 8" wide rim sits pretty close the the fender.

so if the kit will push the wheels out .75"(19.05mm) you would want to get an 8" with like a +20mm offset

or maybe like a 7" wide rim with a 0mm offset or something...might be close to the fender.

someone please verify or correct me if I'm wrong

If you now have the five lug setup, you have a lot more wheel designs to choose from compared to the 4 lugs. There are tons more options available. More people seem to be going with the larger wheels these days. 16", 17" & even some 18" tall rims on the older z cars. 17" seems to be a very popular rim size. As far as trying to calculate the rim width and offset that you need specific to your vehicle, you can go to www.bozeforged.com and check out the fitment guide to help you get all the proper measurements needed to fit a rim to your ride. According to the fitment guide located in Part 2, there are quite a few different measurements you will need to take to get the right fit.

I hope this has helped you.

• 1 year later...

Well, two years later I have the AZ five lug conversion kit installed (my car is still not running, but soon...) Anyone else have experience with what size rim works well with this kit? Any thoughts or experience would be helpful. Thanks

Are you running coilovers or struts? Are you gonna stretch tires and roll the fenders?

Rimal was right about the 0 offset on an 8 inch wide rim, and if it is about .75 inches that's +20 offset. But it depends on the questions above also, I've seen people fit a 9inch under the fender no problems slammed, cammbered and stretched. Don't know if that's the way you want to go.

If I did the 5-lug swap (something that I'm contemplating right now), I'd love to run Weld 15"x10" Aluma-Stars in the rear, with something like 29.5"x11.5" drag slicks. But that will probably not clear the stock fender, the springs, or both.

I have the same 5 lug kit and am running 17*9 inch rims with a +17 offset and 235 tyres. Coilovers.

You can see from the pics that the front gaurds are flared, but the rims would fit with the std gaurd i think. Rims are aftermarket R32 GTR rims.

Hope this helps...

post-3846-028119600 1341978577_thumb.jpg

post-3846-050187200 1341978589_thumb.jpg

Edited by missinglink

• 7 months later...

anyone else have actual rim / tires sizes used with the AZ 5 lug conversion?  I measured today on my car and found I have about 2.875 from hub mounting face to the inner fender lip for clearance.  I also looked up the section width for the tire that I want (225/50R16) which is 9.2 inches.  So based on my math ((9.2/2)-2.875) = 1.7 inches of offset = 43mm of offset.  This seems like way too much based on others experiences.  The thing I did not factor was the negative camber gain as the suspension travels which would tip the tire in on top and buy some more clearance, which would allow a little less offset - but how much less (that would be hard to calculate)?

For anyone else with this conversion, what size and offset rim did you use?  Thanks

• 1 month later...

Im currently looking at AZC's standard front and rear brake kits (with 4 lugs), which i think has about 0 offset still.

From my understanding,

0mm offest on an 8" wide rim sits pretty close the the fender.

so if the kit will push the wheels out .75"(19.05mm) you would want to get an 8" with like a +20mm offset

or maybe like a 7" wide rim with a 0mm offset or something...might be close to the fender.

someone please verify or correct me if I'm wrong

Rimal is right about the offset. I found a helpful website that can help you through comparing the stock s30 wheel size with the wheel(s) you're looking at.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp 

Be sure to click the wheel/tire size calculator/comparer link when the website comes up

Edited by Never2BeFinished

• 2 months later...

OK, to close this one out.  I bought a set of 16x7 +40 rims with 225/50R16 tires and I am very happy with the fit. I think anything from +30 to +40 would fit nice with the AZC 5 lug conversion.  Just need to figure out how to post a picture now.... Thanks for the help