HybridZ

Best place for a Cat?

zeiss150

Hi Guys I just bought a Catalytic converter that I'm going to put on my 72 240z and I'm wondering where is the best place to put it. I have an L28 with 2.5 inch exhaust all the way back. The cat is 13 inches long and 4" deep 9 inches wide. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Matt-

In answer to the question Why would I put a catalytic converter on a 240z... the answer is ... Because I'm tired of smelling like exhaust. And its worth the 3 BHP that I will loose to not smell like exhaust when I get done driving my Z.

My Z is running great. It doesn't even smell that bad... but I don't want any smell. I heard they came from the factory smelling like exhaust... so why not put some tech into getting rid of that problem.

My Cat should be here in a few days I'll post up some pictures of where I place it.

Matt-

Cats are actually one of the best devices to reduce emissions, IMO. You can get high flow ones and not feel dizzy at stoplights as well as pollute less. I'm no enviromentalist by far, but I will accept that cats and EGR have pretty much made cars pollute much less than they used to. Why, now, they keep focusing on more stringent standards for cars instead of the bigger industrial polluters is for another thread...

The best place is as close as you can get to the valves, without worrying about fires...

Edited by BLOZ UP

Poor fuel control will kill that cat...

Do yourself a favor and put an AFR meter on it, and insure you are at 14.7 under a majority of conditions, you will kill it. A catalyst is a pass-through device, it is NOT a 'scrubber'---if your AFR is correct, you will have no HC to make your eyes water.

The ONLY time a catalyst is operational is during transitions (acceleration, WOT, decel if you don't have fuel-cut like EFI does.)

If you idle or go down the road and get fumes and smell exhaust YOU ARE TOO RICH.

And you will burn up or overheat that catalyst in short order if you don't fix that first. You don't slap it on and make it all better. Fix the problem, don't bandaid it! If you smell fumes, you are not 'adjusted correctly'!

Nor is your cockpit sealed off. The majority of the fumes sneak in through a bad hatch or taillight seal. I'd be checking those "lower cost" items first before stuffing a cat under there. You can also get a 90 degree exhaust turndown to point your exhaust at the ground. It makes a WORLD of difference.

A proper tuneup goes a long way to reducing noxious exhaust fumes. Don't forget the fuel tank vent hose seals, antenna drain hole seal, spare tire drain hole seal and those seals in the rear hatch itself. Also, if you run rich and overheat the cat there is a chance of setting fire to your car. Sounds kinda silly but those cats can get glowing red hot when failing. Imagine lighting off the undercoating or years of oil accumulation under many of these Z's. Many vehicles have temp sensors to warn of a cat overheating to prevent cat damage and possibly worse scenarios.

A proper tuneup goes a long way to reducing noxious exhaust fumes. Don't forget the fuel tank vent hose seals, antenna drain hole seal, spare tire drain hole seal and those seals in the rear hatch itself. Also, if you run rich and overheat the cat there is a chance of setting fire to your car. Sounds kinda silly but those cats can get glowing red hot when failing. Imagine lighting off the undercoating or years of oil accumulation under many of these Z's. Many vehicles have temp sensors to warn of a cat overheating to prevent cat damage and possibly worse scenarios.

A floor temp light, like on my 77 Cali model...

The ONLY time a catalyst is operational is during transitions (acceleration, WOT, decel if you don't have fuel-cut like EFI does.)

What? No it's not. The cat is operational all the time (once warmed up). They don't just convert HC, but also NOx, and CO. They work most efficiently at removing all 3 of those very close to stoich. They overheat when they have too much fuel that burns off in them. They are less efficient for various emissions at non-stoich. levels.

That was kinda my point Tony...putting a cat on is not going to fix the problem.

You gave no reasons, just asked a vague question. Not really cricket here. If you want to make a question like that, and 'know' the decision might be a poor answer for something else, you should say so.

From his verbiage in the post it seems like he didn't understand the function of a catalyst.

My 73 tested out the tailpipe CLEAN to better than 1983 CATALYZED STANDARDS with only carb adjustments and a properly operating AIR system. I don't know how much 'better' he thinks it's going to get when a 73Z with a 71 SU and Exhaust manifold with functioning AIR will pipe CLEANER than the specifications for an 83. That's damned clean! A cat would work on my car ONLY if I RICHENED it up and then that would produce the HC EXCESS needed to start the converter, and sustain it's operation.

The only reason cars with catalysts operate at 14.7 AFR is to provide FUEL for the CATALYST to let it work when needed. You can get JUST as clean on HC/CO simply with carb adjustments and AIR without putting a flaming hot brick next to your transmission.

Emissions controls are sorely misrepresented and misunderstood. The ignorance surrounding them is phenomenal. Educate, when possible rather than just punctuate...

What? No it's not. The cat is operational all the time (once warmed up). They don't just convert HC, but also NOx, and CO. They work most efficiently at removing all 3 of those very close to stoich. They overheat when they have too much fuel that burns off in them. They are less efficient for various emissions at non-stoich. levels.

No, they do not! They utilize the excess hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream to keep to an operating temperature to scrub excess HC and CO from the exhaust stream during transients. Early catalysts such as found on early cars were not really 'three way'---the EGR and timing did a majority of the NOx cleanup, as well as lower compression.

Run a catalyst on a dyno with ANY modern car at WOT for a while and watch that catalyst overheat and melt down. They are NOT meant to clean up exhaust ... They are meant to clean transients.

Later cats (OBD2 timeframe) do more things. But early bricks are very limited in their scope of cleanup. The reason they are 'effective' at stoich is that NOx is at it's minimum near that point.

In reality, the best way to run the car is lean, on the verge of lean misfire where CO and HC levels are almost nonexistent (but NOx is very high)... Then you run a NOx specific catalyst. This is what large industrial engines do as they have a constant load and don't have transients to worry about.

In answer to the question Why would I put a catalytic converter on a 240z... the answer is ... Because I'm tired of smelling like exhaust. And its worth the 3 BHP that I will loose to not smell like exhaust when I get done driving my Z.

You think a properly working cat is going to ROB power! HAHAHAHAHA

Riddle me this... How does adding heat into the exhaust stream going to slow the system down and rob horsepower?

The answer is: its not. The catalytic reaction will have a much higher temperature at the exit of the cat. This heat actually DRAWS more exhaust into the front of the cat creating a low pressure situation which will helps clear your combustion chamber when the exhaust valve opens... which is what a good header is suppose to do! Can we say GAIN!

But you say and in whiny voice "But its a restriction! Look at the substrate... its a honey comb it must be a restriction!". Eat the Physics of Thermal Dynamics says I.

3HP loss... :lmao: maybe in your jaloppy.

No, they do not! They utilize the excess hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream to keep to an operating temperature to scrub excess HC and CO from the exhaust stream during transients. Early catalysts such as found on early cars were not really 'three way'---the EGR and timing did a majority of the NOx cleanup, as well as lower compression.

Run a catalyst on a dyno with ANY modern car at WOT for a while and watch that catalyst overheat and melt down. They are NOT meant to clean up exhaust ... They are meant to clean transients.

Later cats (OBD2 timeframe) do more things. But early bricks are very limited in their scope of cleanup. The reason they are 'effective' at stoich is that NOx is at it's minimum near that point.

In reality, the best way to run the car is lean, on the verge of lean misfire where CO and HC levels are almost nonexistent (but NOx is very high)... Then you run a NOx specific catalyst. This is what large industrial engines do as they have a constant load and don't have transients to worry about.

Im afraid Tony is right here.

a two way Cat will take CO and O2 and make CO2, as well as take HC + O2 and make more CO2 and Water... which gives you your catalytic efficiency by reading CO2 percentage.

A TWC three-way-cat, which is what ALL OBDII vehicles have and some older ones now, will do something different.

It will take NOx and strip the oxygen off in the first bed call the "Reduction Bed" and leave you with O2 and N2.

The second bed known as the "Oxidation Bed" Functions much like a two way cat and reduces the same emissions as a two way cat, but doesnt usually require an extra "air" line for 02 as the striping of the NOx will provide the needed O2.

Now if the thread starter lives in California and procured the cat after Jan 2009(effective law date) through a legal channel he has a TWC as per the law and it meets OBII criteria for certification and will have a serial number on the cat(It would also have been expensive). If he has an older cat or is not subject to California laws he most likely has a two way cat.

Now on to the implications of installing one of these on one of our antiquated L series.

Using either a two way cat or a TWC on the L series isnt the best idea. The ZX EFI system is adequate, but barely. The early L-Jetronics for the 280z dont even have an O2 sensor to make sure the mixture swings to keep the cat happy and require a 30+ year old system to be in good working order for that cat to stay alive. This WILL require a gas analyzer NOT a wideband to calibrate the system correctly for any long term use. Carbs... its been done, but its not worth the time IMO. To lean and the cat burns up. To rich and the cat burns up. Cats like a rapid swing from lean to rich to lean to keep the catalytic process going and not just a chemical reaction. Chemical reaction = BAD maybe even car fire! Carbs just cannot provide this swing in AFR. Thats just one physical limitation, and there are more.

The key point to pickup on is that you CAN adjust the carbs and IF all the factory emissions equipment is in place and functioning you can drastically reduce the smell. Lets not worry about seals for the moment. If you had no hatch and no drivers door and all the seals in the car were out(which would leave you in the exhaust stream in a Z and I would know) you would still have no offensive smell from the car with stock SU's and all the original AIR system, AB valve, and throttle lift plunger installed and properly functioning. Years of wear and tear as well as all the garage mechanics that think "that smog crap must come off its robbing me of power" have left you with stink! :beatdeadh

Did I miss anything? Or is this one dead?

Edited by rayaapp2

Cats are actually one of the best devices to reduce emissions, IMO.

And that is the line of thought that has resulted in the Jan 2009 law that mandates all Cats be ODII certified. Techs that just replaced cats to clean up emissions for a smog gave the rest of us new headaches because of their lack of diagnosis and understanding of the whole system. Lets just slap another on it will clean up the emissions.... yeah for what 2 weeks. Guess they will be buying a new cat in 2 years... or 1 if Gross Polluter.

The best way to reduce emissions is to get a complete and efficient burn of the A/F mixture in the chamber. 90% of the emissions devices revolve around this statement. Catalytic Converters and AIR being the 2 I can think of off hand that do not.

More along that thought process by Tony

Poor fuel control will kill that cat...

And you will burn up or overheat that catalyst in short order if you don't fix that first. You don't slap it on and make it all better. Fix the problem, don't bandaid it! If you smell fumes, you are not 'adjusted correctly'!

Fix the Problem... Dont Band Aid it!

Edited by rayaapp2