HybridZ

RT Diff Mount - Necessary to notch lower diff mount?

The Woj

So I finally got around to installing my rear suspension and found that the bolts holding my diff up are interfering with my lower diff crossmember now. I was wondering if it is necessary to notch the lower diff mount as is illustrated here:

crossmembermockuprear.jpg

And, if so, I was wondering how some people manage to sandwich the stock diff mount underneath and not notch the crossmember, as is illustrated here:

Picture259.jpg

For illustrative purposes, I have attached pictures of my setup and the trouble areas.

post-1194-022945400 1296078930_thumb.jpg

post-1194-096615900 1296078933_thumb.jpg

post-1194-085523600 1296078937_thumb.jpg

post-1194-015719700 1296078940_thumb.jpg

post-1194-054862300 1296078941_thumb.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In your pics,

It appears you have the STOCK diff mount on TOP of the diff.

It belongs in it's factory position, on the bottom of the diff.

A bolt on snubber/bump stop (extra part) bolts on top.

This is what it appears to be wrong from your pics.

In your pics,

It appears you have the STOCK diff mount on TOP of the diff.

It belongs in it's factory position, on the bottom of the diff.

A bolt on snubber/bump stop (extra part) bolts on top.

This is what it appears to be wrong from your pics.

I have a GM 3201 tranny mount bolted to the top.

I think you are referring to the stock configuration and not the RT config?

Edited by The Woj

So I finally got around to installing my rear suspension and found that the bolts holding my diff up are interfering with my lower diff crossmember now. I was wondering if it is necessary to notch the lower diff mount as is illustrated

Yes.

Yes.

Cool, thanks.

Any idea how dsommer did it, as evidenced in the 2nd picture I posted stolen from this thread (56k beware!):

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/63391-resurection-now-becoming-1tufzg-z/page__view__findpost__p__809921

Also, what is the best way to cut it to retain structural integrity?

Edited by The Woj

Most people run the Energy Suspension 3-1108 - http://www.jegs.com/i/Energy+Suspension/355/3-1108G/10002/-1

Maybe it's not as tall as the GM 3201 that you say you're using. That would lift the nose of the diff up. I did a quick browse but can't find a 3201 on the internet to compare to the 3-1108.

Edited by NewZed

Most people run the Energy Suspension 3-1108 - http://www.jegs.com/i/Energy+Suspension/355/3-1108G/10002/-1

Maybe it's not as tall as the GM 3201 that you say you're using. That would lift the nose of the diff up. I did a quick browse but can't find a 3201 on the internet to compare to the 3-1108.

My bad, I was just going by the number stamped into the mount. I am pretty sure 3-1108 is what I bought, though all I can find in my records is a PayPal payment for 33.16 to ES (over a year ago), which sounds about right.

Rossman just touched on the key factor. Alignment. The position on the diff nose depends on the location of the tranny tailshaft. If you're running an L6 in the stock location than no notching is required (all else being equal). The nice thing about the RT mount is it's adjustability. In my set up I had to notch the crossmember much more that the pictures above. The idea is to get the u-joint angles as close to equal as posible to reduce driveshaft vibration.

I wouldn't worry much about notching the crossmember. Once you take the bending loads from the diff mount off of it (by installing the RT mount), then you only have the tension/compression loads of the unibody/rear LCA's acting on it. My un-studied W.A.G. is that these are relatively small. MHO is that if you left a half inch tall vertical flange after notching you should be more than fine. Some guys have cut the middle of the crossmember out all together. Personally I wouldn't do that but I have no emperical evidence to say that is a bad idea. I just know that there are still tension and compression loads there so it tends to be a good idea to complete the box.

I think I'll grind the crossmember, I still have a decent amount of work left to do on the car before mocking engine/tranny fitment and I want to be able to put wheels on it to roll around. If it really becomes an issue, I'm sure I can find a used crossmember on the cheap.

So here's the carnage. I may have gotten a bit over-zealous, but I think I left enough metal to ensure integrity. I misinterpreted my markings on the piece and accidentally cut the wrong area on the passenger side, so that's why so much is missing on that side.

post-1194-086983100 1296183086_thumb.jpg

Woj it looks great. Drive it around for a while. The nose of the diff moves about some between shifts and transitions from brake to power to brake. You may find you need a little more clearance. Put a little paint on the bolts and crossmember where they are close and see if any gets knocked off.

I used the stock lower mount then used a ES tranny mount for a Chevy transmission. We had to trim the BOTTOM part of the ES mount in a curved shape to conform to the top of the dif. Then it is sandwiched between the RT mount and the top of the dif.

Trimming the ES mount was a pain in the a$$, I botched one and had to buy another.

Sorry to chime in after the fact....

Picture248.jpg

Edited by dsommer

Woj it looks great. Drive it around for a while. The nose of the diff moves about some between shifts and transitions from brake to power to brake. You may find you need a little more clearance. Put a little paint on the bolts and crossmember where they are close and see if any gets knocked off.

I don't think I am going to need to do that. I bolted everything in, did some inspecting and found that the snout of the diff is actually resting on the crossmember now. I think I am going to need to grind material off the mount so the diff fits in it better and lose the 2 washers. I still have no idea how you got that to fit dsommer, perhaps your RT mount is higher than mine? The stock mount is something like 3/4" tall, I don't think I could remove that much material from my mount.

Here is a picture to illustrate my problem:

post-1194-008111000 1296266492_thumb.jpg