HybridZ

To reach 400hp... which powertrain?

I'll be purchasing a 280z in the upcoming month.

I have plans for the car, including the following:

1) 400hp w/ manual trans

2) air conditioning/heat

3) power steering

As far as (1), I know I can achieve 400hp with a LS(1/2/3/...N) with or without a (turbo/super)charger, depending upon how it's built.

As far as (2), I have no idea what I'd source to get that working.

As far as (3), I read about a year ago here that you could fit some random subaru power steering setup along with a LS1 build, but there weren't many details at the time.

I had previously committed my mind to doing a LS1 setup, but I'm a bit more open minded at this point. Given the three requirements above, would any of you recommend another powertrain of any sort (gm, nissan, toyota, ...)? If so, why?

Also, if anyone can confirm/deny the subaru power steering bit, and comment on how they got A/C going, that'd be swell too.

Edited by nacitar

Stop now and take a moment to review your posts.

I would advise searching before posting what you just posted. These topics have been covered time and time again. Here at HybridZ.org information can be found by keyword searching through the website. There are specific technical based forums to find information on specific swaps and components though the vehicle.

The LSx swaps, AC setups, and power steering conversions are all covered previously in these boards and you will find an abundance of useful, as well as not so useful information.

Good luck and welcome to Hybridz.org,

ModernS30 =)

Edited by ModernS30

Proper grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation is required on this forum.

For the record, I don't see any huge issues with his grammar, spelling, etc. Perfect grammar isn't expected on here, just an effort to make posts easy to read.

Proper grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation is required on this forum.

I would advise searching before posting what you just posted. These topics have been covered time and time again. Here at HybridZ.org information can be found by keyword searching through the website. There are specific technical based forums to find information on specific swaps and components though the vehicle.

The LSx swaps, AC setups, and power steering conversions are all covered previously in these boards and you will find an abundance of useful, as well as not so useful information.

Good luck and welcome to Hybridz.org,

ModernS30 =)

I joined it a year ago, and mentioned prior research, so not really a "welcome to Hybridz.org" moment. I also have zero reason to review any of the post, because I made numbered lists line up vertically (tip: they're lists). Furthermore, there's not a thread in existence specifically asking about the 400hp line, which is my specific interest and that I provided a small bit of extra information as well to frame my inquiry.

Per the thread title, I asked for drivetrain recommendations (not limiting myself to the LSx). Subsequent inquiries within the thread were more side-questions that people may or may not choose to answer. You, on the other hand, decide to reply complaining about how I spaced out my post to align points vertically, and answered *drumroll* zero questions at all.

Drivetrain question? No answer.

PS side question? No answer.

AC side question? No answer.

Ability to read join date? Nope; false welcome as if I hadn't scoured the forums previously or been a member for nearly a year. (PROTIP: being a member for a full year and only making two posts MIGHT clue you in that searches are performed!)

I was already searching the forums. In case you haven't noticed, the information in this forum isn't exactly arranged in a fashion that doesn't require extensive digging to uncover information. There are few stickies covering such questions in an organized fashion, and the rest is cherry picking posts (often old ones with vauge/incomplete information for the searcher's purposes). Attempting to get an assembly of related commentary in one location is clearly a cardinal sin to you... this is likely why there are indeed so few compilations of information on this forum in the first place in lieu of the current random-post arrangement.

Honestly, I think you're just too quick to jump the gun on the "RTFM"/search button programmed response... and I don't really see a problem with my spelling either.

But w/e, I'll continue searching as I was already.

Modern, instead of taking a supremest approach to this, how about you say welcome to the forum, we have quite a few different sections you should check out before you post, but since you took your time posting I'll take my time answering.

1.) You can reach 400hp with a lot of combinations, if LS1 is what you had in mind, go LS1's direction. It'll be costly ,but worth it. There is also 2jz and 1jz, and a very overlooked KA24DET which is very light and when turbo'd very powerful. Also, L28ET is the greatest option ;) maybe...

2.) You can hook up the LS1 Air con and the Z has a stock heating system so don't worry about that stuff.

3.) You really don't need power steering its a light little car and the engine swap doesn't change weight usually enough to make it a PITA to drive, but if thats what your heart is set on, go with the subaru forester rack conversion which you can find in the chassis and steering sub forum stickies.

If you need help finding anything on the sub forums you haven't already searched for you can PM me or something, but if you spend some time searching you'll find anything on this forum, its a cavern of knowledge, mostly Tony D lol.

Thanks, Sean.

Edited by Two80z4me

Modern, instead of taking a supremest approach to this, how about you say welcome to the forum, we have quite a few different sections you should check out before you post, but since you took your time posting I'll take my time answering.

1.) You can reach 400hp with a lot of combinations, if LS1 is what you had in mind, go LS1's direction. It'll be costly ,but worth it.

2.) You can hook up the LS1 Air con and the Z has a stock heating system so don't worry about that stuff.

3.) You really don't need power steering its a light little car and the engine swap doesn't change weight usually enough to make it a PITA to drive, but if thats what your heart is set on, go with the subaru forester rack conversion which you can find in the chassis and steering sub forum stickies.

If you need help finding anything on the sub forums you haven't already searched for you can PM me or something, but if you spend some time searching you'll find anything on this forum, its a cavern of knowledge, mostly Tony D lol.

Thanks, Sean.

Didn't know LS1's air con would fit. I knew "subaru" rack, but the post I read way back when didn't specify "forester"; nice, now I can look that up.

My main thing is I know that lots of drivetrains will reach 400hp (and exceed it) with modifications, but I see no sense in throwing in a 500hp monster when I only want 400, and I don't see the need in taking a 200hp engine and working it up to 400hp to be an unreliable beast either. Not saying LSx is either of those necessarily, but just the main idea. When I last looked LS1/2 seemed most practical but wasn't sure if the FOTM changed.

Edited by nacitar

Didn't know LS1's air con would fit. I knew "subaru" rack, but the post I read way back when didn't specify "forester"; nice, now I can look that up.

My main thing is I know that lots of drivetrains will reach 400hp (and exceed it) with modifications, but I see no sense in throwing in a 500hp monster when I only want 400, and I don't see the need in taking a 200hp engine and working it up to 400hp to be an unreliable beast either. Not saying LSx is either of those necessarily, but just the main idea. When I last looked LS1/2 seemed most practical but wasn't sure if the FOTM changed.

anything can fit, its only money lol.

Another odd option to think about is the VH45DE nissan v8, light very powerful and slap on a turbo or 2 and you have a reliable beast, the only thing is that you need to put on the W158 Supra trans to make it manual.

For the record, I don't see any huge issues with his grammar, spelling, etc. Perfect grammar isn't expected on here, just an effort to make posts easy to read.

+1, The amount of formatting he did is much better than the usual "How can I make my new 240zx fast!?" threads...

Nacitar, there are actually some ongoing threads currently talking about air conditioning and power steering options. There are also plenty of threads concerning AC and PS to be found.

As for your first goal (400hp) you've yet to mention a budget. Your goals are pretty lofty if your on a shoestring budget, so for the sake of this thread I'm going to assume that's not the case. The easiest way to 400hp is going to be just buying the GM crate engine that meets your power goals. There are other ways to 400hp, but for reliability, parts availability and conversion information you can't easilly beat the SBC or LS. There are plenty of kits, instructions and pictures of GM conversions here, so I'm not going to get detailed, its really up to you to research which options work best for your your situation.

Air conditioning and heat can be easily taken care of with a vintage air set up. Again, there are people who have done it, and pictures/comments/instructions to be found on this site.

Power steering is probably the least explored of all your goals. Most people are fine without it, and agree its not entirely necessary. If your going with wide rims up front, then turning at a stand still can be somewhat tough, but not a deal breaker by any means. If your dead set on it there are threads here that can guide you in the right way. I know some of them can be somewhat vague when it comes to technical details, so be prepared to do some learning along the way yourself. Just remember to post up your results (good or bad), that's how we continue to add value to this site.

Good luck, and welcome! B)

With the V8 swapped cars (all one of them that I've driven), the steering seems lighter, probably because you no longer have like 12 inches of cast-iron block, alternator, etc. hanging out in front of the cross-member. I can't speak from experience with caster/camber, though.

I agree that the LSx is a good swap for reliable 400hp, you can almost get that from a stock engine with all of the smog equipment removed and little bit freer aspiration/exhaust. An earlier GM small-block will get you that easily (heads/valves, cam, intake, carb), and maybe for less cash.

There are lots of A/C and heating options, from sticking with the factory system (or at least, reusing the evaporator unit) or something like Vintage Air. I would like a Vintage Air for my car, someday, but I think it's out of the budget, for now.

I agree with the information stated here. With one comment on the section where this is posted. It would be more fitting in the Non-tech forum as to the lack of adding useful knowledge to the model specific.

Other than that welcome to the forum! There are many swaps that will fill your power goals. It sounds like you might not want the hassle of a turbo swap so check out the V8 section for most of your drooling needs.

My thought would be to check out the BMW, 2j, Mercedes straight six swaps. Many have close to your power goal (some tuning and a few parts) have A/C, power steering options and they are not all to common on the boards. Very reliable and all the fun you can handle. 350-400 in a 2500lb car is CRAZY!

Enjoy your time here.

edit reason: Poor layout on mobile site.

Edited by neotech84

Power steering begins to make a lot more sense when you add camber and caster beyond the stock settings. Otherwise stock steering is reasonable for most people.

+1000 and when you add 245 hoosiers into the equation that I have it would make it a lot nicer.

I overlooked that, PS is a good idea.

anything can fit, its only money lol. Another odd option to think about is the VH45DE nissan v8, light very powerful and slap on a turbo or 2 and you have a reliable beast, the only thing is that you need to put on the W158 Supra trans to make it manual.

I agree with this. The M45/Q45 motors can be had for cheap and have nearly that much. If you can fab or have the money to do it, I think it's an awesome swap.

I don't think the small block swap has been beaten in terms of cost effectiveness before the stock motor.

Turbo S52/M52 (95-99 M3; 328is engine) is an easy 400 on stock internals (with proper tuning) while preserving the deliciousness of a straight 6. You should Youtube some E36s with exhausts. It's one of my favorite sounds.

But when it comes to FI, almost any engine you can fit in that bay will be able to make 400hp with modification.

You didn't mention a budget- your question can't really be answered without that information, IMO.

Have you considered how you're going to reinforce the chassis to handle over 400tq? I'll admit I haven't researched that either, but I don't want 400 horsepower. And your drivetrain will need considerable strengthening as well.

I'm going with the VQ35HR/6sp Nissan 350Z engine. In stock form its at 315HP. I know that's not quite 400, but it's almost twice what the 280Z came with originally. If I dish out the bucks for the Twin turbo kit then that'll hit 400 easy. It's not bad for a engine/6sp tranny that together weigh in at less than 800 lbs total. the R200 Diff is no trouble, though you may want lower gears since most of these engines can rev higher than the L28. In the end it Is up to you since it's your $. The LS-x engine is probably the easiest way to go. Just know that no swap is exactly easy, but there are kits out there to take some of the pain off your knuckles and put it in your wallet.

And, at the end of the day, if you searched and researched enough, you could easily find the answer to all of those questions. Try searching google like so, I've found that it works better than anything else:

ls1 swap +a/c +heater +p/s (or whatever search terms in whatever way you want) site:hybridz.org

The "site:hybridz.org" is the crucial part. This directs google to search only within that domain, giving you the power and flexibility of Google search indexing but narrowed down to a particular site. Not sure if you knew this trick-- IMO it's the best thing Google offers and is the only reason I still use Google search more than DuckDuckGo, for example.

Edited by nthiogen

And, at the end of the day, if you searched and researched enough, you could easily find the answer to all of those questions. Try searching google like so, I've found that it works better than anything else:

ls1 swap +a/c +heater +p/s (or whatever search terms in whatever way you want) site:hybridz.org

The "site:hybridz.org" is the crucial part. This directs google to search only within that domain, giving you the power and flexibility of Google search indexing but narrowed down to a particular site. Not sure if you knew this trick-- IMO it's the best thing Google offers and is the only reason I still use Google search more than DuckDuckGo, for example.

This.

I'm going with the VQ35HR/6sp Nissan 350Z engine. In stock form its at 315HP. I know that's not quite 400, but it's almost twice what the 280Z came with originally. If I dish out the bucks for the Twin turbo kit then that'll hit 400 easy. It's not bad for a engine/6sp tranny that together weigh in at less than 800 lbs total. the R200 Diff is no trouble, though you may want lower gears since most of these engines can rev higher than the L28. In the end it Is up to you since it's your $. The LS-x engine is probably the easiest way to go. Just know that no swap is exactly easy, but there are kits out there to take some of the pain off your knuckles and put it in your wallet.

That's my plan as of now haha. I think there are a lot of engines out there, such as LSX engines, crate motors etc, that do 400 pretty much from the factory but you're probably going to have to modify and tune your way there. It's a fun learning process though B)