HybridZ

Any ideas for jacking a car higher?

When I need to get the Z up higher I get it jacked and supported on strands as high as possible, then put a 2x4 between the jack and car, and slowly jack it up and adjust the stands up a notch whenever possible. Add a second piece of wood if needed. I jack the rear at the diff.

Edited by Meph

I have railroad ties nailed to 2X12's that I cut in half with a chain saw...makes a nice ramp and they juuuust clear the sheetmetal in the back of the car.

Worst case, dig a hole in the ground, back over it....

Don't laugh, I had to do that! :lol:

I use a similar process to Meph. I use a piece of 4x4 wood and my floor jack, either on the rear diff or at the jack points on the frame rails. I place the jack stands in the red circled areas.

759208196_iPxt3-XL.jpg

Whatever you do don't use a scissor jack(the kinda that comes with cars) and always use jack stands. I don't know how many times floor jacks have failed to hold the car.

Edited by hotdamn

Worst case, dig a hole in the ground, back over it....

Don't laugh, I had to do that! :lol:

I know one guy who worked on his engine from underneath by finding a friend with a house build on a hillside, with a stair from the built up parking in front of the garage down to the lawn, which was inset into the parking pad. He could drive over the inset stairway and park with the front wheels on each side of the stairs, and underneath, the stars made a handy seat to sit on while reaching up to work in the engine bay...

Maybe you could find a place like that and back up over it :D

Heck I fixed my gas tank leak on my 260 without jacking it up at all. I dropped the down in the enclosed car trailer. My leak was on the small vent hose off of top of the tank. If you tank is leaking on the right rear , gas cap side, I would bet that that is what is leaking.

JAcking...

Good advice on always using Jack Stands. I've had my floor jack "let go" while I'd had the car up. Scary as hell, Fortunately I had 4x4's under the frame rails stacked sideways. The car only fell maybe 1/2" but it was still enough that I went out to get jack stands right away. When I remove a tire, I always push it under the car. I figure if a stand slips out, or something else bad happens, it'll at least save me from being completely crushed if I'm under the car. I'm pretty confident in the Harbor freight Large stands. They're way beefy, much higher rated than a S30 needs, but I figure it's safer... Mostly though, just use your head. if it doesn't look safe, it probably isn't. too bad we can't all afford to have a lift in our garage.

Phar

Wow. Thanks a ton! These answers and pic were perfect! I will get wood and try it out

Uh huh huh huh...uhhhhh huh huh huh "you will get wood and start jacking!" Uh huh huh huh...uhhhhh huh huh huh!

:P

Some things can not be left unsaid!

Parking over a hole to work on the car is where the term "the pits" comes from...My uncle was nearly burned to death in a pit back in the 60's, when he used to do hillclimb races. My grandpa was all scarred up from that accident, too, from pushing the burning car off the pit to get my uncle out. It's still a common practice in oil change places like Jiffy Lube, but I imagine they have modern fire suppression systems now.

Using big old pieces of wood to support the car while you incrementally jack it higher and higher is a good idea. NEVER use concrete or cinder blocks, and NEVER trust a hydraulic jack. Both can suddenly and completely fail without any warning whatsoever.