HybridZ

Building my 3.0 L soon - pics

inline6

Thats a hell of a cam! Almost the same as mine with a little less duration and a slightly smaller lobe separation. Sounds like this should power band around of 8000rpm. I am pretty much at this stage in my build, I just had to order a valve relief cutter for the pistons.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the cam from Kinetic Sunbelt in GA. With the springs they supplied (single - not double) they said not to run it higher than 7700 RPM, but that is close to 8k...

The seat pressure (installed) was checked and found to be only 56 lbf. At ~.550" lift, the springs were only supplying 190 lbf. Because the spring pressure is so light, my engine builder is strongly recommending the use of titanium retainers. The receipts just keep adding up. :blink:

Here are pictures of the work just now done to add PTV for the intake valves.

post-4218-018089800 1336871096_thumb.jpg

post-4218-001540600 1336871128_thumb.jpg

post-4218-076506400 1336871114_thumb.jpg

post-4218-063300300 1336871140_thumb.jpg

Garrett

Edited by inline6

I got the cam from Kinetic Sunbelt in GA. With the springs they supplied (single - not double) they said not to run it higher than 7700 RPM, but that is close to 8k...

The seat pressure (installed) was checked and found to be only 56 lbf. At ~.550" lift, the springs were only supplying 190 lbf. Because the spring pressure is so light, my engine builder is strongly recommending the use of titanium retainers. The receipts just keep adding up. :blink:

Here are pictures of the work just now done to add PTV for the intake valves.

Garrett

Wow that is an incredibly light seat pressure! You're not worried about sealing issues or anything? My double springs seat at 125lbs and are 270lbs at .500. You will have much less valve train resistance than I will for sure.

As for the Ti retainers that is a must with pressure that light. I know Schneider cams makes a set for the L series. Not cheap by any means though. http://schneidercams.com/7titaniumretainer-73006.aspx

Wow that is an incredibly light seat pressure! You're not worried about sealing issues or anything? My double springs seat at 125lbs and are 270lbs at .500. You will have much less valve train resistance than I will for sure.

As for the Ti retainers that is a must with pressure that light. I know Schneider cams makes a set for the L series. Not cheap by any means though. http://schneidercams.com/7titaniumretainer-73006.aspx

Yep, those are the ones I bought and they will be at the engine builder's tomorrow. They have to be turned in a lathe a touch for the springs I am using with the cam. Here's hoping that it all works and I get a bunch more hp than I otherwise would have as a result (of the light spring pressure). :D

• 4 weeks later...

Some more progress to report...

My head gasket has a 91mm bore on it if I recall correctly. The cylinder head mods I did brought the chamber edge to the bore edge of the gasket. However, the bore size ended up being 88mm instead of 89mm, as the sonic testing indicated we shouldn't go that big. So, here, the top edge of the bores is being modded to get rid of the "shelf" or lip that would otherwise be present and obstructing intake charge flow.

post-4218-032906800 1340075500_thumb.jpg

As part of the documentation that came with the tensioner, they said that it could be modded to increase the mounting bolt size and get a bit more adjustment if desired. Doing that here. The holes in the head were drilled and tapped for 8mm bolts.

post-4218-081641300 1340075528_thumb.jpg

And, some mods to the front cover to make the diesel water pump work well and to increase flow for both cooling and oil:

post-4218-063850500 1340075551_thumb.jpg

post-4218-049415900 1340075565_thumb.jpg

post-4218-096508800 1340075581_thumb.jpg

post-4218-066500400 1340075595_thumb.jpg

Edited by inline6

Thanks for the compliment. Almost every last bit of credit goes to Bryan, my engine builder. I do research... decide what I want, and then pay the bills. He has been the one to point out several of the mods and the one making everything fit together. From swapping around engine bearing shells to achieve optimal bearing clearances, to further machining the pistons to achieve the correct, desired compression ratio and to provide adequate PTV (taking into consideration the adjustment available via the adjustable cam gear), to determining how much the pistons stick up out of the bores when "rocking" them, and oil flow modifications, cooling flow modifications, the additional coolant holes above exhaust ports #5 and #6, machining the vent hole in the block for a fitting, etc. etc. etc. :)

He is doing a stellar job. I wish I could have been present in his shop to learn even more than I have via phone calls from working with him.

I've just rebuilt my engine this winter with machine work done on crank, pistons, block, etc. It was my first engine! (and not the last, I loved it)

So I know a little how it is done, so I appreciate the work done! Mine is now roaring under the hood, it is quite a good feeling :D

I've just rebuilt my engine this winter with machine work done on crank, pistons, block, etc. It was my first engine! (and not the last, I loved it)

So I know a little how it is done, so I appreciate the work done! Mine is now roaring under the hood, it is quite a good feeling :D

Very cool. I see you are in Paris, France. Can't help but think your 240z is extremely rare there. I bet you have some interesting stories to tell... about how you got possession/delivery of the car, about Parisians reaction to it, etc. :) Yes?

A few pics...

Unfortunately JE did not cut the dishes in the pistons as we wished. The machinist had to remove some more material to get the piston dish cc where I wanted it.

post-4218-003148400 1333215613_thumb.jpg

Now, they have 11cc volume including the valve reliefs. My calculations put the engine compression ratio at 11.15 to 1. Here, the pistons are all cleaned up:

post-4218-033886700 1333215045_thumb.jpg

Bryan, my engine builder, has finished sizing the rings to the bores. The oil expander gap is too big with the expanders that came with the pistons.

post-4218-071935000 1333215086_thumb.jpg

Bryan said they were producing only 4 lbs. of oil ring drag, so we have to go up one size. Those have been ordered.

And lastly, the crank is sitting in the block for mock up.

post-4218-072074000 1333215074_thumb.jpg

We need to put the rods and pistons in to see where the pistons are going to end up relative to the deck. Because I am trying to get as much quench as I can with my E88 head (milled lots!), I will be running piston to head clearance of the thickness of the Nismo head gasket - .6mm (.024").

I'm reading thru your build-very nice-but was curious about your Nismo head gasket. I installed a Nismo on my build and it was .047/1.25mm thick I believe. My head is also a E-88

Edited by madkaw

I'm reading thru your build-very nice-but was curious about your Nismo head gasket. I installed a Nismo on my build and it was .047/1.25mm thick I believe. My head is also a E-88

Looks like there are a couple available:

Page 14:

http://www.nissanusa.com/nismo-web/Nismo-Motorsports-Catalog-2010.pdf

11044-E4620 ALL 1 NISMO composite head gasket for L-Series. 85mm bore, 1.2mm

compressed thickness.

11044-E4621 ALL 1 Head gasket for use with O-ring type head sealing above. L-Series 6-cylinder.

11044-E4623 ALL 1 NISMO head gasket for L-Series 91mm bore, 0.6mm compressed thickness

I've got the E4623 version.

G

Edited by inline6

Very cool. I see you are in Paris, France. Can't help but think your 240z is extremely rare there. I bet you have some interesting stories to tell... about how you got possession/delivery of the car, about Parisians reaction to it, etc. :) Yes?

I will disappoint you but I got the car back then when I was living in Michigan. When I came back to France 4 years ago, I took the Z with me. I'm driving the Z mostly outside of Paris in the country side where twisty roads are (with no traffic jam).

We are quite a small community in France with Z & Datsun and we met quite often. Next meet is a Le Mans Classic where we rent a spot right next to the track witht he help of Nissan France (which will get track cars from the club on display). Marketing manager is fan of Datsuns & Z, that helps!

For reaction, Frenchies do not know what is a Datsun (they believe I'm driving a Jag, a Ferrari or an Alfa Romeo) & they don't believe it could perform well. When they hear the sound of the L6 with DCOE, they all ask what under the hood and who build the engine. Forums & technical discussions as deep as the one we have on hbz are not common in France, especially on old cars. Let's forget about wideband controller, MSe, turbos, piston shape, quench, flow and so on. It is also illegal to mod a car, so there's no support for parts in France but we have a least some competent machine shops who know their job.

I'll stop the off topic, here's just a picture for fun.

224069_2055522026695_1203924752_2520788_705467_n.jpg

Well, this engine build thread has been going on a long time, so it is fitting that we take a short ""vacation" to France before getting back to work. Thanks for the info.

Well, if you come for vacation in France, you"ll can see others 3.0l engines build ! :D:lol:

post-5139-040834800 1340612239_thumb.jpg

" I'm driving the Z mostly outside of Paris in the country side where twisty roads are (with no traffic jam)."

For out in his barn, my uncle preserves for me an old Z, of 40-odd years... To keep it as-new has been his spirit's dream!

Sounds like you have to watch out for those Gleaming Alloy Air-Cars!

If you go to France, run the 'Reverse Blitzkerig' Route through Belgium and Holland...and stop by to see the Hybrid Z's in Frank 280Z's old Cow Barn!tongue.gif

Once you're there "You're close to everything"!

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever find any leftover Glyptal? I have some. All my blocks are done and I have about a third of a quart left. Should be enough to do your motor. PM if needed. I'm probably too late though.

I'll check with my engine builder. As recent as a week ago, final assembly hadn't been started, so I may still be able to use it.

Garrett