HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get the dates that I sent you via PM?  Hoping to get  a date set for some instruction.  I just got some used R6s.   If I don't hear back in the next few days, I'll give you a call.

How about Saturday June 1st? Atlanta Motorsports Park all day, or as much as you want. If you have never driven racing Karts you can do that as well. I have a chatter box for the two of us to communicate with each other. Do you have any data or lap timer you could use? There are some apps for smart phones as well. (Harry's lap timer is one Ive seen people use). This is a good tool for us to chart progress. Let me know if that works for you? If so we can discuss accomodations. Do you have GoPro camera's? If not I do and you can just bring a few SD cards to use. Go ahead and call me so we can discuss details. Looking forward to it........

This weekend with NASA-SE at Carolina Motorsports Park we qualified on pole and when I caught traffic the heavens opened up and the race was on in the final few laps. The better driver won this time around but second overall in unbelievable conditions felt pretty good. Here is a clip of the final few laps to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. 

Next time it rains and they cancel a NASCAR event.........I'm gonna laugh.

Great video.  When we get to the track next weekend, I hope you can spend some time teaching me how to deal with a spin as gracefully as possible.  We may want to do that someplace with lots of room, like a skid pad if one is available.  I want to start SUPER fundamental.  You did a great job-can't wait for our session.   I'm gonna try to turn down the sensitivity of my throttle pedal between now and then-I spent a lot of time going backwards at this weekend's autocross-seems it is set up like a hair-trigger currently.  Pray for dry weather.

"When you spin, Both feet in"... As in Clutch and Brake...  And in the rain like that, as Matt demonstrated, you're along for the ride, because wet grass is like ice.

Looking good Matt... Maybe I should ship my car (and my 401K) down to MTI and let them debug it.

Mike

Nice video Matt.  I was at a Chumpcar race at Nashville Superspeedway during the 1000 yr flood in May of 2010.  I hydroplaned our Mustang on the trioval and across the grass into the pits.  It was very interesting when the car just started turning on it's own and any input I gave it (gas, brake, steering, terror) made no change.  I stopped facing the wrong way, turned around and went back out on the track.  I was expecting a black flag, but I guess they were being lenient given the conditions. 

By the way, I was at AMP on Saturday and the weather was great.  We were testing a 300ZX chumpcar.  Unfortunately it really is a chumpcar and not a cheater, so we don't have much of a chance of winning at Daytona next weekend.  If we can keep the car on the track, I think we should do pretty well (top 30 or better out of 120).

Zack I actually spent Friday and Saturday morning coaching a Chump Car driver at VIR in a 1996 Prelude. The car was VERY fast, due to the cantilever wheel/tire combo. Oh those 14 inch goodyear slicks worked wonders. I was able to cut his lap times by 5+ seconds. Obviously he wont be running those at an event. But man that car stuck like glue and we harassed a lot of higher end HP cars with it!

Sorry for the hijack Matt!

Mike

"When you spin, Both feet in"... As in Clutch and Brake...  And in the rain like that, as Matt demonstrated, you're along for the ride, because wet grass is like ice.

Looking good Matt... Maybe I should ship my car (and my 401K) down to MTI and let them debug it.

Mike

Mike,

I can discuss with you anything you would care for us to do, along with getting your LS setup installed and de-bugged. You only live once and times a wastin'.

I thought everyone would get a kick out of seeing the in car video of the race in the rain this past weekend. My fiance came in my office as I was editing the clips and she said, "That's a terrible video. You can't see a damn thing." I replied, "I know, from where I was sitting I had the same view".

Car is OK from the spin. The water just ripped the heat shielding from the underbelly and filled the cockpit and my seat up with sand and mud. She will live to fight another day.

It's my fault for not having my little hand held swiffer with a micro-fiber towel attached. You cant apply rainx to lexan as it will scrtach plastic. We do apply Novus1 as it has an anti-fog but that only lasts so long. I guess if I wanted a racecar with a defroster, ABS, active handling, windshield wipers, traction control I wouldn't have built a HybridZ. 

• Like 1

Matt,

We have a simple defroster we install for if there's a chance of a wet race that works very well.  It's one inch schedule 40 PVC that was bent to follow the windshield curve and has holes drilled in it to direct the air. One end is capped and in the middle is a tee that goes to a 2.5 inch nascar brake fan.  One end fits into a holder and the other is bolted is a single bolt on an adel clamp.  Fan mounts to quick release on the passenger seat mount rail and has a weatherpack connector to hook it up.  Take less than 5 minutes to put in or remove and keeps the screen clear -- no more squeegee.  

When it's really wet we go back to a glass windshield and have a single wiper setup that mounts quickly.  The defroster is light and works incredibly well and would be a good item to add to the trailer for when you really need it.  

Cary   

Matt,

We have a simple defroster we install for if there's a chance of a wet race that works very well.  It's one inch schedule 40 PVC that was bent to follow the windshield curve and has holes drilled in it to direct the air. One end is capped and in the middle is a tee that goes to a 2.5 inch nascar brake fan.  One end fits into a holder and the other is bolted is a single bolt on an adel clamp.  Fan mounts to quick release on the passenger seat mount rail and has a weatherpack connector to hook it up.  Take less than 5 minutes to put in or remove and keeps the screen clear -- no more squeegee.  

When it's really wet we go back to a glass windshield and have a single wiper setup that mounts quickly.  The defroster is light and works incredibly well and would be a good item to add to the trailer for when you really need it.  

Cary   

Cary,

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I think that is a great idea and not very complicated. Its sometimes the most simple solutions that work the best.

Cary THANK YOU!!!  I was wondering what I would do myself since I've removed the wiper from my setup.  I plan to install an arm in the passenger side and clock it with a longer wiper to be in the vertical position when off, and wipe the driver's side when on.  I want to find a smaller motor for this application though and figured until I am ready for TT, I'll just run without it. 

Sorry to hijack!

Mike

Strange thing happend on Saturday. The 914-6 and I were having a great battle, where the lead changed hands 5 times in 3 laps. Neither of my 3 cameras or his two functioned. Quite strange..........as if the race had never happened. My buddy Morris in his C5R caught most of the fun and I hyjacked his footage. I watch it up to the point on the third lap where my tie rod breaks and I plow the field, (actually the bolt that holds the heim joint together sheared off). If I were at Road Atlanta I would have hit something hard, got lucky this time.........

BTW.........The 914-6 has an air cooled 911 engine that is putting 450 rwhp and it weighs 2300lbs with the driver, it has 15" rims with 15" wide full race slicks, its center of gravity is about 18" off the ground and it seems to be an 8 foot wide low flying brick trying to race you. It corners unlike most any car I've ever raced against.

A short video I did that is a great example of "a day in the life" of a club racer. I thank NASA pro racing for giving all the crazies a place to play. Kinda cool because I have a million pictures of my car or the occational camera phone video, but never good professional video of my Z at the track. 

Very professionally done-would we expect anything less?

Thank you.

I am looking forward to having you up to the track this Saturday. I almost fell out when I was at the track for our Memorial Day cookout and a freind asked if I was going to participate in the Rides to Remember outing next Saturday. I said "WHAT!!!!!!!" Its a great cause but I was worried that the track would be closed for this private event. Actually its only going to be during the lunch hour and not effect any seat time with us. Ferrari and Lambo of Atlanta sponsor this event for adolecent cancer patients and give the children rides around the track in supercars. Really cool......... I guess I was being really selfish when I thought it was going to effect our sessions, with all the coordination that has gone into aligning our schedules to accomodate the day......... you know what I mean. Then again what an ass I am for thinking our seat time was more important than giving children, some of them possibly terminal, rides that will light up their faces. Maybe I can do a random act of kindness and make up for it.

Glad you liked the video.............

Edited by cobramatt