HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

Do they make a wrap that I can put on my belly to make me look like I have a 6-pack?  (About) how much does it cost to totally convert a Z to lexan, and would you recommend it for a car that sees a variety of uses?  No lexan experience - it's ok to tell me to go and search-I'm getting tougher...

You can buy a sheet of 1/8" Lexan for ~$80 or so and then cut out the side and rear windows. The stuff is really easy to cut with a jigsaw, just use some sandpaper to clean up the edges and you're done. You can put it in the stock quarter window frames, or just attach it with some angle aluminum if you prefer (the quarter window frames are pretty heavy). You'll need retention straps for a rear window (1/8" strap aluminum is the usual) and windshield tabs in the windshield. bjhines did a really nice job with his rear window, if you search you'll find it.

You really don't want Lexan in the door windows if you intend to roll them up and down, and you don't want it on a windshield if you're going to need to use the wipers. It scratches easily, and discolors over a couple year period, especially with exposure to chemicals. 

Do they make a wrap that I can put on my belly to make me look like I have a 6-pack?  (About) how much does it cost to totally convert a Z to lexan, and would you recommend it for a car that sees a variety of uses?  No lexan experience - it's ok to tell me to go and search-I'm getting tougher...

You can buy a sheet of 1/8" Lexan for ~$80 or so and then cut out the side and rear windows. The stuff is really easy to cut with a jigsaw, just use some sandpaper to clean up the edges and you're done. You can put it in the stock quarter window frames, or just attach it with some angle aluminum if you prefer (the quarter window frames are pretty heavy). You'll need retention straps for a rear window (1/8" strap aluminum is the usual) and windshield tabs in the windshield. bjhines did a really nice job with his rear window, if you search you'll find it.

You really don't want Lexan in the door windows if you intend to roll them up and down, and you don't want it on a windshield if you're going to need to use the wipers. It scratches easily, and discolors over a couple year period, especially with exposure to chemicals. 

I did my rear and side quarter windows just as described above. I also agree that if you plan on using windshield wipers Lexan is not the way to go. I am doing it for a few reasons. Weight reduction being the biggest. It is also above the center of gravity so this translates well in any race car. In a race car the windshield gets pummled with all sorts of debris making it very prone to cracking. This solves that problem as well. I have a product that is a three stage liquid that cleans, polishes, and even removes scratches in lexan. A must if you plan on keeping it clean and scratch free. The product name escapes me but if anyone needs to know I can get off my ass and go look.

Matt

They do make a wrap for abs BTW. 

Only thing I don't like about lexan (I have it in my quarter windows and rear hatch) is it scratches a LOT easier than glass. Matt if you get the name of that product, post it please!!

I'm going to wait and see how bad this one goes before I replace it, but will likely go back to glass... I've got a really good installer who loves racecars local to me. He always enjoys coming out to see what I have since the last time he visited.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

• 2 weeks later...

I know that she is not a Datsun but I wanted my friends here to at least know about this and if they were interested they would have the first shot. My beloved Eleanor is for sale. I've had her for quite a while and did all the work, (with a lot of help). She is the real deal and way too many options to list. If I made a list of what was upgraded or custom, I would just say everything. This is the car I won the "My Ride Rules" show on the Speed Channel with. This is not a fire sale but a once in a lifetime opportunity for someone to experience a car like this. I've owned Lambo's, Ferrari's, you name it. No car has ever turned heads like this one. If you are a serious buyer please PM me. I'm a car Builder/Driver/Racer not a car collector. 

Matt

post-13190-0-06710200-1355950059_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year to all my Z Lovin family.

2012 was an amazing year and hope that 2013 will be equally successful on and off the track. I really have to thank MTI Racing, AAA SignCrafters and Classic Livery for their sponsorship and continued faith they have in my efforts to promote motorsports and the products and services they all offer. When we win, we win as a team, I do my best as does everyone else and the cumulative effort is one anyone would be proud of. Let's go and win another championship this year...........

Here's a couple of great shots to start the year off.  You gotta love Road Atlanta Turn 3............

Matt

post-13190-0-61876700-1357029488_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-88404400-1357029604_thumb.jpg

Only thing I don't like about lexan (I have it in my quarter windows and rear hatch) is it scratches a LOT easier than glass. Matt if you get the name of that product, post it please!!

I'm going to wait and see how bad this one goes before I replace it, but will likely go back to glass... I've got a really good installer who loves racecars local to me. He always enjoys coming out to see what I have since the last time he visited.

Mike

Mike,

It is called Novus. It is a three step cleaning and polishing process. I am very happy with how this product keeps all my lexan very clean. Here is a link I looked up for the first step bottle. If you get them get all three bottles.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Longacre%20Racing/441/63500/10002/-1?sendroicid=bbef8492-2d00-41d6-b158-38db0de2603c&catargetid=1716046196&sendroikwd=%7Bkeyword%7D&gclid=CIiM3ILtx7QCFQcHnQodkgIApA

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

I have finally finished the re-build of my C5 racecar that had a little mishap earlier this year. It certainly, as usual, turned into much more than I ever imagined. Maybe my imagination is the source of the problem, who knows. I replaced just about everything. Upgraded just about everything. She's ready to go. I have actually done something different in that I have taken a 100% ST2 C5 Racecar and transformed it into a street/track car. I have made her street legal and can't wait to see if she breaks some knecks. Is she practical?    No, but nothing I drive is practical or comfortable for that matter. She fits right in. 

My Datsun, pictured on the lift, we've taken the engine and tranny out. The tranny, I'm installing new carbon fiber syncro's and cleaning everything good. The engine is in a million pieces and we are replacing all the small parts on the engine so we stay away from buying big parts during the season. Suspension were changing the spring rates on all four corners. Were replacing the windshield with a new Lexan one. She needs some body work from the beating she took last year, some fresh paint and stickers and she'll be ready for our first NASA race, March 8-9-10 at Road Atlanta. 

Having the Corvette back really pays dividends when I want to be on the track so much but cant afford to pound on the Datsun all the time. The Corvette picks up all the slack......

I also have never owned a racecar that I could just drive to the track event, do my thing and then just drive home. 

Matt

post-13190-0-45033700-1358384429_thumb.jpg

Matt - So the moral of the story is that you should have mishaps more often? I love both of the cars. Your Z made we reconsider a V8 option for future builds. An amazing piece of machinery. 

Showed my son your vette-he says "I like it, why don't I have one"?! Told him he has to graduate from college, get a good job and save his money! I'm digging the vette too...

Thank you guy's for the comments. I think the Vette did turn out great. No one believed in my vision until the 11th hour then everyone jumped onboard like they had loved it from the beginning. Then again I live in Atlanta and every fan here loves a winner in the end but is not really that supportive along the way. I guess this all goes with the territory.

Matt

• 1 month later...

OK............I think I am going to get the Datsun out on the track and break in the re-built engine, the re-built tranny, the new spring rates all around, the new.... well there are a few new items I want to test first. Our first NASA race this year is March 9-10 at Road Atlanta. I am going to instruct this weekend at Road Atlanta for a PBOC event and the weather is not looking very good, (GOD please dont give me someone who wants to show me how fast he can go around RA based on his Forza experience). We will wait and see. Wet track and my Datsun equals bad things. I might just take the Vette on PSS'. I'm looking forward to another season running in the unlimited class of the Vintage division and there are some new comers to the field that will prove to very exciting. There is a Chin event at RA on March 18th, a Monday, that the team will be at if anyone wants to join us. 

Lets have a great 2013 and remember its all for fun.................

Matt #88

post-13190-0-80643000-1361251151_thumb.jpg