HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

Well............

Its done and that was a bitch.

I can share all the parts we had to fabricate from scratch but thats kind of like the rest of the car. 

All new Ford Motorsports Racing 8.8 aluminum independent rear end (the one that they just decided to stop making), new 3/55 gears, all new mounting brackets and structure, one off fabricated billet mounting bracket, custom one off I guess you would call them stub axel extensions, re splined axels, new cv and boots, drive shaft didn't need any work (its good to save a few pennies), and to add I have an all new AP Racing big brake kit installed on all four corners. The same set up that I run on my WC Corvette. Now, I only have to buy one type of rotor and the same pads (CarboTech XP20's) for both cars. Its funny that my old front rotors and calipers (Willwood) look like the rears in the new kit. I've got twice the pad on the rotor now. I decided against any ABS as I've never had it anyway. 

I hope everyone likes the new set up. I have NASA races all weekend at Road Atlanta and Friday is our test and tune. I hope the dyno frees up tomorrow so I can just put the car on it and run up and down through the gears and let it put some slower miles on the diff then let it cool, drain it and then some more. That way Friday I can be a little more aggressive in testing. I'll also need to bed the brakes and fiddle with the bias. 

Going flat out is a lot about trusting your equipment. It will hopefully give me a sense of confidence in the new rear end as I think we really hit this one out of the park and given the car a real dependable and solid diff and the brakes on four corners can only pay dividends with practice and patience finding a little time in the deeper brake zone.

If anyone is interested in buying my old willwood brake kit or my old Q45 Pumpkin with Carbonetic diff (the ring and pinion is what kept failing me) I think with a new set of R&P gears and you aren't flogging it like I was I think you would have a nice set up. Anyone interested give me a call or PM and make me an offer.

post-13190-0-87242100-1378946601_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-29958300-1378946708_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-92596900-1378946711_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-51602700-1378946715_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-28818800-1378946719_thumb.jpg

Edited by cobramatt

I'm also looking forward to Mike Kelly coming to my NASA races Oct 11th-13th at VIR. I will be installing the passenger seat and getting some advanced coaching from Mike that will prove extremely valuable as I have only run VIR 4 other track days, never in a race. 

Always remain teachable and when someone has more knowledge, learn from them. I want to win the race, without additional guidance it would be virtually impossible. Now if I lose I can blame Mike...............

post-13190-0-97189800-1378947421_thumb.jpg

Matt, I hope you got my series of suggestions via FB. I cant wait for the 2nd weekend in October. I have been looking at your footage and I like what I see. Cant wait to climb in your passenger seat and go for some laps.

MIke,

I'm really looking forward to the coaching. I want to absorb as much of your course knowledge as I can and really appreciate your taking the time to help me. What do you think of the pictures of the new 8.8 rear end? I think it's a work of art and not to my surprise it puts the power down better than before. The difference has also changed the setup in that I had to trim the car out due to high speed understeer. It just seems that now that the rear is hooking up better than before and  the overall aero was effected as well. I tried to dial in some more front mechanical grip but with the clutch master cylinder going out on my second lap of Friday testing I got no seat time and just has to wing it for the race. We won over my teammate by .4 seconds. It was a very hard fought battle where once again the faster car did not prevail. Good traffic management and spotting helped keep them in check, and a little (legal) blocking. 

Talk to you soon.

post-13190-0-89347900-1379561438_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting the video! I speak international sign language, and the message you sent that fella was pretty nasty! Thanks for keeping us all motivated. Or would that be "Mattivated?"

Thats pretty funny. The kid that passed me was 15 years old. Ernie Francis Jr. He's the youngest competition licensed driver in the US. His father owns Breathless Performance. He DQ'd himself for not knowing the rules and he hopefully wont make that mistake again. 

The reason I was so upset was that I had just lapped him, and he had made it clear to most everyone that no one was going to pass him and his Grand Am/Rolex Camaro. He unlapped himself by doing this and he has a big sticker on his bumper that says, "You just got passed by a 15 year old".  

After the race his father and he came over to my corral and we were talking. I asked if he saw the new bumper sticker on my car that said, "Your 15 yr. old ass just got lapped by a 50 year old." His dad and I thought it was funny........

post-13190-0-94378600-1379562324_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats on the Saturday Results in both races! Cant wait to see how tomorrow turns out!

Mike

I first want to thank Mike Kelly for taking the time to drive all the way to VIR and assist me with his expert advanced coaching. I could not have done as well as I did with out his efforts. This may sound like a cheap plug but I say it to confirm the importance of continued education and coaching in motorsports. I have been fairly fast around VIR in the past and I was able to drop 4 seconds off my times with his in car coaching. I cant thank you enough.

Here is a breif video of one of our Saturday Races.

Been watching all week for this video-thanks for posting!  Where did that 'vette come from, and how much body work you gotta do-looked like you swapped some paint?  There's one section of track where you sweep thru about three turns, seemingly holding the wheel in one position as the line just sort of unfolds-amazing line.  Which car are you faster in: Z or 'vette?

Matt, It was my pleasure.

I posted my perspective in my thread below. I was at a wedding on Saturday and I was watching the timing and scoring via my phone throughout the ceremony and reception.

I want to thank you again for the opportunity to work with your team and would gladly do it again!

Mike

A few pictures from this past weekend at VIR with Mike Kelly and the MTI Racing team. 

Matt, the head on picture above is a prime example where when the car rolls a large portion comes from the inside jacking up.  I'm not sure if you have seen any of the threads on droop limiting but this is what is addresses.  Maybe something to think about.

Cary

• Like 1

Matt, the head on picture above is a prime example where when the car rolls a large portion comes from the inside jacking up.  I'm not sure if you have seen any of the threads on droop limiting but this is what is addresses.  Maybe something to think about.

Cary

Thank you Cary. I needed the car to be as soft or loose as possible due to the wet conditions. I agree with you and in dry conditions we stiffen the car up considerably. Good eye.....

looking at the same picture, you need to fix the widow sticker or slow down.  the force of the air is taking it off.

he he

jimbo

JImbo, 

I said to my vinyl guy as soon as I saw the picture that I want to have that fixed. It is not noticeable when the car is sitting still and obviously I don't get to see the car in motion from behind the wheel.

I'm on it. 

How did the wrx/evo get on pole!?

That's what i was wondering. Was it some sort of pace car?

That STI Subaru is AWD and we qualified in the pouring rain and I'm on slicks. He also has 650RWHP so the car is not exactly a push over. I could have out qualified my Zcar in my F250 truck. He was mouthing off at the dinner that night that he qualified on pole and I made it a point to pass him and take the lead by the end of the first lap, it took 4 turns. On a side note, if you watch the video towards the end of the race on the last couple laps in turn 3 you will notice that he went off hard into the wall and wadded his car up. The whole drivers side was caved in and when we passed his trailer later that day he had a for sale sign on the car. It would be a great Factory Five 818 donar car.

• Like 1