HybridZ

78 280Z LS3 Project

IIRC you where wanting to stay N/A right? If so I think the LS3 is a great platform for the money. 600rwhp is easily achieved with that motor and damn near impossible to keep the tires from breaking loose any how. I'm hoping to go turbo soon but have decided to take a step back and get the little crap done first as I should be doing anyways... I will be keeping in touch, hopefully both of our cars get done soon so we can make a scene at cars & coffee.

Edited by CrayZ

Today felt like Christmas, I got home and there it was….. My transmission came in.

I ordered the Level 4 Magnum TR-6060 from Tick Performance. They basically take a new Tremec TR-6060 and modify it to fit and F-Body Camaro, while they are at it they make a few upgrades that takes this transmission from handling 700RWTQ to 900RWTQ (like I would ever need that but what the hell).

I also had them powder coat that case and bell housing to match my drive shaft, axles and R200. For a small fee they also threw in a new GM Slave Cylinder & Throwout bearing. This transmission looks incredible, the pictures do not do it justice. I just hope it performs as good as it looks.

post-14557-0-84814200-1362016288_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-23750300-1362016322_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-99496800-1362016335_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-98404900-1362016352_thumb.jpg

If I had it to do over again, I would definitely go this route. I have almost 2K in my tranny, and its only good to about 650 (thats parts alone. did the labor myselft). Plus, the 6060 has triple cone synchros.....

Jealous.

Thanks, to be honest the deciding factor for me was that I don't have a core from a donor car and when I started looking into the price of a good core it was between $1500 to $2000 plus another $2000 or more to have it rebuilt the way I wanted it. I just figured why not spend another $1000 and be done with it. Like you say it has triple cone synchros and Tick upgraded the fork pads to bronze from plastic as well as adding carbon blocker rings to 1st, 3rd and 4th gear since 2nd comes with it from Tremec.

Alain I had to share this.. I'm excited to finally get my hands on one.

8D3F1DAD-22CA-4A8C-AFDE-89585CAF75B5-126

Way to go, can't wait to see how it runs when you get it set up how you want it. Don't forget coffee and cars tomorrow. You see all kind of nasty rides out there. From GTR's to twin turbo lambos. Got to get there early though, by 9:30 they all roll out. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sad to report that my car suffered a major setback. The body shop was working on cutting out the rear body panel for the dual exhaust holes and they found quite a bit of rust in that panel and the rear quarters. Luckily all other panels have been down to bare metal and repaired if needed so there should be no more surprises. They were waiting for the rear since it needed to be ground to do the exhaust holes. Just when I thought we would be painting the car in the next 2 weeks or so we are back to cutting panels. It's funny how a car can look fine with some paint and when you sand it all down you can find all sort of surprises, there were spots that had 1†of filler and you could not tell at all until you ground into it. I guess that's why most restoration shops don't quote a price on restoration work and charge by the hour for that service instead.

At least I know it will be right when I get it back, unfortunately I may have to sell a kidney to pay for all this but what the hell, who needs organs anyways….LOL

The unfortunate part is that having this car completed this year is slowly slipping away. In the mean time I ordered some more parts to make me feel better.

I have some rust bubbling in the lapped joints between the rear valance and the rear quarters. I'm just living with it. More power next winter, safety the next, paint the next. The older I get, the easier it seems to put things off. Focusing on driving during the warm months. Within a year of your restoration, paint will bubble or crack somewhere-or somebody will belt-buckle your front fender-just go ahead and get emotionally ready for it.

It's only March . LOL . I haven't started on my suspension and still so much to do before paint . And I only work on my car on the weekends .

I hear you but I'm in the same boat as you, I can only work on my car on the weekends and I made a deal with my wife that only one day and the other day is for us. We just got married a year ago and I need to spend time with her. I will have a bunch of work to do when it comes back from the body shop as it will be coming back as a painted shell. I have to do the drivetrain, suspensions, wiring and interior.

I have some rust bubbling in the lapped joints between the rear valance and the rear quarters. I'm just living with it. More power next winter, safety the next, paint the next. The older I get, the easier it seems to put things off. Focusing on driving during the warm months. Within a year of your restoration, paint will bubble or crack somewhere-or somebody will belt-buckle your front fender-just go ahead and get emotionally ready for it.

Yes sir, that's were my rust is as well and the lower corner of the quarter panels. I hope I can go more than a year without paint bubbling. With the money I'm spending on paint and body it better last 20 years. :)

Every married car guy has the same struggle. I've been working thru it for 25 years. I have got almost 20 years on this paint job and it has held up-just don't stand to close to it and it looks great. My wife didn't get cool about the car until I started the Ls swap, what-2years ago?. I am super thankful because her support has made it so much more fun. Now, she's not out there wrenching with me, but she isn't complaining all the time and being spiteful like she was for the first 18 years. It has been a major improvement.

I know what you guys mean. So far my wife has been cool about the car and the ridiculous amounts of money I’m pouring into it, I just want to make sure she stays that way. :)

Not a lot of progress to report but something is better than nothing. I received my Wilwood 7/8†Clutch Master cylinder. I sent the bracket that screws onto it and fastens to the clutch pedal to the machine shop to have the threads drilled and a standard nut welded in place since the threads were metric on the bracket and the MC rod has standard threads.

I also received the hydraulic lines for the salve cylinder and went ahead and installed them on the transmission.

post-14557-0-62925600-1364592201_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-17105100-1364592213_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-61170600-1364592240_thumb.jpg

I have seen some using the OE slave cylinder and they say it works fine. I just wanted to upgrade mine. The plan for this car is no bolt goes unturned and no component goes unreplaced.

I was talking about the fact. Nissan clutch master cylinder that came with the car . I bought an adapter and a hyd. line from Speedway and using Nissan clutch master on my 83 ZXT LS1/t56 conversion . I was trying to keep the cost down . Most of my parts for both of my conversions came from local stores . Two project cars are costing me a lot . LOL . Soon ( like 3 more yrs ) , i'll do the same to my 91 300ZX . I have to wait until it's emmision exempt . LOL