HybridZ

Creating Cars as an Expression of Yourself

MassMayhem

Do the amazing ideas we have for creating these cars resemble ourselves? I know I feel that my car is an extension of who I am. What do you fellow HybridZ members think and why do we put so much effort into something so seemingly superficial that takes alot of time and money?

Food for though:

Edited by MassMayhem

I dunno. For myself I build cars to perform a certain way and to win competitions. Function over form is my thinking. I am not concerned about expressing myself through my car or living the "automotive lifestyle." I've been told I don't have enough tattoos to be an "authentic" member of the automotive lifestyle.

And Chris Bangle is a douche'.

I hear you on Chris Bangle being a ******. Its interesting to think about the line between a car being art and just a machine. Funtion over form is a good viewpoint, as putting alot of time into just looking fast,(aka loud annoying muffler and v-tec) is pointless unless your car really is fast and serves a purpose. The car lifestyle can be very idiotic. Just because you have a cool car doesn't mean your a cool person. Some people buy cars just to show off and not because they truly love to drive it. I personally have a love/hate relationship with BMW. I just dislike the show-off nature of having one yet I have to admit they are amazing machines. Thus a retro 240z with a bimmer engine would be perfect ;)

Thus a retro 240z with a bimmer engine would be perfect ;)

I agree with this 100% :D

I dunno about hating on guys who put a lot of time into their cars. Function over form is nice I guess, but good looking cars will always be better in my book. There is a reason why most people think Ferrari's road cars look better than their F1 cars. Blending form and function is what makes for fantastic cars.

In the end, you're always gonna have people all over the board that fit this "automotive lifestyle" category. Some like to be showy about it and think they are better than everyone because they bought a car and then had a shop install a buncha crap...while other won't do that.

Also, what's wrong with Vtec? It gives you better fuel economy and let's you run a more agressive cam when you really get on it.

I agree with this 100% :D

I dunno about hating on guys who put a lot of time into their cars. Function over form is nice I guess, but good looking cars will always be better in my book. There is a reason why most people think Ferrari's road cars look better than their F1 cars. Blending form and function is what makes for fantastic cars.

In the end, you're always gonna have people all over the board that fit this "automotive lifestyle" category. Some like to be showy about it and think they are better than everyone because they bought a car and then had a shop install a buncha crap...while other won't do that.

Also, what's wrong with Vtec? It gives you better fuel economy and let's you run a more agressive cam when you really get on it.

:lol: There's nothing wrong at all with vtec I actually have an integra. I was just useing that as an example because of the guys that just slap some annoying muffler on their civic. Not hating on those guys because its their thing but it doesn't really serve a purpose.

:lol: There's nothing wrong at all with vtec I actually have an integra. I was just useing that as an example because of the guys that just slap some annoying muffler on their civic. Not hating on those guys because its their thing but it doesn't really serve a purpose.

I've noticed a lot of those cars have passed on to other owners now, most of whom seem completely oblivious to the fact that they have non-stock muffler, bumper covers, etc. on them.

Interestingly enough, my Honda Del Sol's muffler was missing altogether when i got it... I suppose it's the new fad?!