HybridZ

Anyone leave Urethane unpainted?

afbrian13

Does anybody just leave their urethane body kits black?

My 76 came with an unpainted urethane airdam that has sorta grown on me. The car is currently a fashionable Rustoleum special, but will eventually be a very dark midnight saphire (blue). I'm thinking of getting side valences to visually lower the car and hide some shotty rust fixes on the rockers.(not mine btw!). I don't want to actually lower the car because I live on the moon when it comes to roads - aka Omaha, NE. A rear airdam instead of the big crash bar(with custom hibben crash braces), and just using bumper black on the urethane. I was thinking of the chrome trim, emblems etc and got scared $$$. I remember bumber blacking my dads 280zx when it was basically new after we washed it. It looked great.

So...basically a very dark blue car, black urethane body kit all the way around, tinted out windows, black out window trim, black (instead of matched) hood louvers/vents, shaved emblems, black mirrors and grill. I think it would look pretty mean, be cost effective, and easy to maintain.

Any thoughts or pics??

Not painting it always looked "unfinished" to me.

But to each his own, if you're worried about paint chipping, and you actually like the black look, than spray paint it black. I never liked the look of bare plastic. Paint has a shinier look to it, and if it chips or cracks, just remove the paint if it's bothering you and re-paint it yourself.

For me it's about the scraping on the road every time I pull in or out of my driveway. No paint will hold up to that. Besides, I like the two tone look up front. To the OP, I think dark blue with the matte black air dam would look great. If you want it to shine, just spray on some Armor-All.

i tired to mount my urethane one this weekend and i gave up, it was so flimsy i would doubt it wouldnt crinkle going like 10 mph. i know you need to brace it and all but damn. granted i have had this one for about 3-4 years sitting here until this moment maybe that has something to do with it. i mounted my fiberglass one instead. i like the shape of the fiberglass one slightly better, bigger ducts.