HybridZ

Moveable aerodynamics on the Ford Fusion

I noticed the past few Ford commercials have advertised the "active grille shutters" on the new Ford Focus car.

Active grille shutters

Focus four-door models feature an innovative system to improve vehicle aerodynamics – and fuel efficiency – at cruising speeds. The active grille shutter system will open grille slats when extra engine cooling air is required, such as low-speed stop-and-go driving. When cruising on the highway at steady speeds, the grille slats automatically close to improve aerodynamics and fuel efficiency.

Moving forward, active grille shutter technology will migrate to other Ford nameplates. -http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=34312

Apparently its a 7% reduction in C/D (drag!)

Edited by proxlamus©

I've seen this on mining trucks 20 years ago,

it was used for cold weather I believe, closed until radiator was at a certain temperature then it would open.

I'm not sure if the trucks used a thermostat or not, or this may have been the water temperature control

Nigel

a mining truck and a s30 z have the same aerodynamics ;) I saw that here in europe to intresting ha? they have done it with allot of 'green label' cars there even is a green 320D BMW. It sits lower special rims etc..

I guess it is the new hype right

Just wait until one of those cars has a defect where the grill doesn't open back up and it starts to overheat. That person doesn't realize it has that feature and replaces the water pump, coolant lines, thermostat, everything he can think of and then sells the car to someone for $500 because he couldn't figure it out.

Just wait until one of those cars has a defect where the grill doesn't open back up and it starts to overheat. That person doesn't realize it has that feature and replaces the water pump, coolant lines, thermostat, everything he can think of and then sells the car to someone for $500 because he couldn't figure it out.

Shhh, don't say anything. I'd like to pick up one of those cars used for $500. :lol:

Its amusing to see this. Ive been planning for ages now to do this very thing to my Z once I get home from australia. My biggest question for myself was if I wanted it to be self-actuated (flip a switch) or temp-actuated. My inspiration came from my other car- Ive got an 1986 Corolla Gts. In japan they had something VERY similar to this (on the Levin models)- the grills on the car had temp sensors and would open/close as needed:

ae86-corolla-levin-rotating-grille-open-closed.jpg

If you can duct the inlet to the radiator, this will lower drag and force all the air that goes into the front through the radiator. If you can duct it back out, even better. If you're doing just one or the other, ducting > moveable vents.