HybridZ

Weber Filter Sock Trick

cygnusx1

I did NOT want to pay $40 for TWO foam socks for my triples. What I did is kind of funny.   :blink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sponge-Balls-3-SS-BLACK-Close-Up-Magic-Trick_W0QQitemZ360121347652QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53d8e7ae44

I bought 8 of these 3" foam magic balls and carved them like a pumpkin, and then stretched them over the velocity stacks.  They fit tight, seem fuel proof, and are cheap.  I don't really care about their fine particle filtration properties, I want to keep gravel out.  Although, it seems that they will filter pretty well.  They are open cell foam, tough, stretchy, and cheap. I may spray in some filter oil if they breath well enough.   :P

Edited by cygnusx1

Looks good but........

There is very little surface area, guaranteed to be restrictive!

The restriction may cause extreme richness at high throttle positions, be careful you don't wash down the cylinders with raw fuel.

Is there a flame arrester/ or screen on the inside? A back fire or cough may cause ingestion of a piece of foam, Not good.

FWIW

Mongo

Looks good but........

There is very little surface area, guaranteed to be restrictive!

The restriction may cause extreme richness at high throttle positions, be careful you don't wash down the cylinders with raw fuel.

Is there a flame arrester/ or screen on the inside? A back fire or cough may cause ingestion of a piece of foam, Not good.

FWIW

Mongo

Yeah thought about all of those things before I made the decision. The foam cells are really pretty large.  I think they will flow big.  Fire?  Yes taking a risk.   What advantage do the $120 socks have in that arena? Do they have a special foamulation or internal screens?

Each ball has a surface area of about 28sq-inches!  Assume about half of that area will flow, that's 14in squared times 6.  That's a respectable amount of area but I will watch for problems for sure.

Edited by cygnusx1

Just check them from time to time for brittleness. Don't want them to become part of the combustion cycle....

Seafoam....foam what's the difference....it all burns in a L motor!   :lol:  Seriously guys, I only have about 4 miles on the car now.  If you wait a few days I can report any issues I may have with them.

Might do a quick back to back test, pull them off and see if there is a noticeable difference. I would be concerned about restriction as well. I don't like the socks or the screens on the horns, I think a filter is much better, and the ITG style is the best of the filters because it doesn't limit what direction the air can flow into the carb from.

OK you guys...official word.  You were right.  They restrict flow.  At WOT over 3500 rpms they noticeably cut the power down.  I could thin them out by carving more foam out but then I might risk a physical collapse.  I would not want them getting sucked into the choke and lodging the throttle open, a la Toyota!  The verdict is that my son now has some new foam balls he can use to do magic tricks with.  I think I'll try on the K&N's that I have.  They are a bit dirty but I can buy new filters for them.

Edited by cygnusx1

I ran with the sock off and on and there was a difference only above about 3500 WOT.   I had a set of K&N filter boxes for the triples so I installed those.  They are 4.25" deep so there is plenty of room for the stacks inside.  A someone said in another thread somewhere, it actually feels better with the air boxes over the stacks.  A little more torque is produced.   I think the pressure wave is reflected off the filter box cover and back into the horn--or something like that.

Edited by cygnusx1

I ran with the sock off and on and there was a difference only above about 3500 WOT.   I had a set of K&N filter boxes for the triples so I installed those.  They are 4.25" deep so there is plenty of room for the stacks inside.  A someone said in another thread somewhere, it actually feels better with the air boxes over the stacks.  A little more torque is produced.   I think the pressure wave is reflected off the filter box cover and back into the horn--or something like that.

Nope, wave reflection happens with a change in diameter, whether it's a sudden change (step) or gradual change (bell mouth). The advantage of a bell mouth is the desired reflection happens over a wider frequency (RPM range), thus a bell mouth can be said to have a higher bandwidth than a step. There are other advantages such as decreasing entrance losses but that all belongs in another topic.

Having an air-box over the bell mouth will not do anything to strengthen the reflection of the intake pressure wave.

You say it "feels better" and "a little more torque is produced," but a quantification on the dyno will tell you the actual story.

Before trying this, you guys should soak the foam in gasoline for a bit to see if it holds up. It is starts melting or disintegrating in any way, don't use it because that stuff will end up in the carbs and your intake track. There's a reason some of the foam air filters cost a much as they do.

I did soak some of the foam in gasoline to test it before I installed them.  It held up fine.  Apparent increase in torque could have been due to a slightly richer mix from the air filters effect on air flow...or a figment of my imagination, or a host of other variables.   If I had a dyno and a WBO2 sensor I would have some scientific data every day...this is just duct-tape, rattlecans, and hammer technology here.

Edited by cygnusx1