#1 JMortensen

JMortensen

Retired Admin.

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12398 posts
  • LocationSeattle area, WA

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:09 PM

Car was too loud at the autox. Sound limit is 96 dB, I went past the meter at 102. 5.3L with 2.5" sidepipes into 18" long mufflers that I made. I tried to ape the Burns Stainless super quiet one by welding angle into the flow path in 2 spots at 90 degree angles to each other. I think the problem is that my muffler is pretty small in diameter at 4". Would have done 6", but there just isn't room for it.

I put V band clamps on both ends of the muffler, so I could just swap it out entirely for something else, or add another muffler, or change the tip. My thought right now is to repack with ss steel wool (the fiberglass I put in has apparently left the muffler). Seeing bulk stainless wool on ebay, is that the best place to get it, or is there something better to use? Then add supertrapp tips and just take plates out until it makes the dB requirement. I really don't like supertrapps in general, but that seems to be the most cost effective solution from what I've seen so far.

There are other bullet mufflers that I could just weld a vband flange to and bolt to the back of this one and that might even be cheaper than the trapp, but I'm kind of worried that I won't get enough out of that and then I'll need the something like the trapps on the end of that.

Better idea?

Jon Mortensen, owner/operator www.petdoorstore.com

#2 bramagedained

bramagedained

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:47 PM

I wonder what difference just having a turndown would make, so your exhaust wasn't pointed at the Db meter as you went past.

#3 beermanpete

beermanpete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, CA

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:22 PM

A turndown might make things worse due to reflections off the ground. If you want to play that game, aim the exhaust away from the level meter station and lift as you go by.

#4 Nelsonian

Nelsonian

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:32 AM

Would something like this help with the noise? Not a cheap fix but possible help.

Nelsonian, San Diego, CA.

#5 JMortensen

JMortensen

Retired Admin.

• Donating Members
  • 12398 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:34 AM

Definitely not going to run cats on my carbed, side piped V8. I'd think I'd have a pretty good chance of burning the paint off of the rockers. Right now I'm still mulling adding a second muffler (maybe a spiral flow instead of a straight through) or doing Supertrapps on the end. I don't like Supertrapps, generally speaking, but I know I could just take plates out until I hit the number I wanted, so it has that advantage.

#6 RebekahsZ

RebekahsZ

Life Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5351 posts
  • LocationFlorence, Alabama

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:57 PM

Lift near the meter, then get back on it, working this out is going to steal a lot of quality time from you.  Or start drag racing-we like loud cars!  SCCA is really getting annoying with this politically correct sound stuff.  Try wearing a smoking jacket, a derby, and an ascot, and talk like you have a pickle up your arse, and maybe they will be nicer and let you race.  Better yet, put an old "Obama/Biden 2008" sticker on your car and they won't try to enforce any of their rules.  Or a "Hillary in 2016" and they will be too scared to hassle you.  Or come drag race in God's country and we will welcome you with open arms-wide front tires and all!

Edited by RebekahsZ, 09 October 2015 - 01:01 PM.

1972 240z, purchased in 1991 for $900. Bone stock LS2/T56/DBW from 2006 GTO, swap completed in 2011. 400rwhp/435 rwtq. 2400# minus driver. JCI swap, Mantic ER2 clutch kit, JTR headers, single exhaust, Borla muffler, MGW shifter, M2 Differentials shortened Z31 CV axles, Z31 CLSD R200, Chequered Flag Racing billet stubs and companion flanges. MSD 2-step, Hurst roll control, both operated from switches on clutch pedal. 9" Hoosier drag slicks on Weld Draglites, 245/45/16 Hoosier A6/R6 on 16X8+10 Rota RBR. 225/250 sectioned coilovers, Koni 8610-1437RACE shocks, DP and EMI camber plates, MM shortened rear control arms, TTT front control arms, poly and aluminum bushings. Top speeds: Ohio Mile 174mph, C/GMS class record holder, best 1/8 mile 6.96 at 100mph, best 1/4-mile 11.0 at 126mph, best 60' 1.43, best 1/2-mile 148mph at GA 1/2-mile. Home Track-Jake's Dragway, Moulton, AL. SCCA autocross club - TVR, Huntsville, AL. Lets race!

#7 JMortensen

JMortensen

Retired Admin.

• Donating Members
  • 12398 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:21 PM

Not worried about the time. We just turned the lights off up here. It will be dark and rainy until May, summer usually starts July 5th. Not sure if I'll run in the spring, depends on if I can find rain tires. Either way, I've got a few months to sort things out.

#8 SleeperZ

SleeperZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2856 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:01 PM

Lift near the meter, then get back on it, working this out is going to steal a lot of quality time from you.  Or start drag racing-we like loud cars!  SCCA is really getting annoying with this politically correct sound stuff.  

Really?  102dB is really loud, it's not a huge power hit to drop that below that fairly generous 96dB limit.

Edited by SleeperZ, 09 October 2015 - 03:02 PM.

1978 280Z -->  L28ET, MS3, T3/T4 (V1/V2), 440cc injectors, Spearco IC, BW T5

Otherwise all stock.

#9 Tony D

Tony D

Wiki D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9958 posts
  • LocationReno NV & Lucena Quezon, Philippines

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:58 PM

What's wrong with a pickle in your arse?

Misanthropic Anthroparion Class 5 Hoarder, aspiring to posthumous fame as my containers are cut open and the market floods with crap I've squirrelled away over the years! I endeavour to persevere...

#10 JMortensen

JMortensen

Retired Admin.

• Donating Members
  • 12398 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:22 AM

Already running asspickle. Still too loud.

#11 Tony D

Tony D

Wiki D

• Members
  • 9958 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:08 PM

Don't whittle it or anything. Making the choo choo noise is entertaining to the grandkids, but customized flatulence annoys the stewards...

Misanthropic Anthroparion Class 5 Hoarder, aspiring to posthumous fame as my containers are cut open and the market floods with crap I've squirrelled away over the years! I endeavour to persevere...

#12 74_5.0L_Z

74_5.0L_Z

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationRockledge, FL

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:38 PM

I have a friend who owns the company that makes the Brunton Stalkers.  The Brunton M-Spec cars come with LS Engines and have side pipe exhaust.  The sound of his cars is very nice, and well below the SCCA dB limit. He uses  catalytic converters in line with the mufflers to keep the exhaust quiet.  If you give him a call (Scott Minehart), he can tell you which mufflers and cats he uses.

http://stalkercars.com/

Here is his car on track.

Attached Files

Edited by 74_5.0L_Z, 25 October 2015 - 02:50 PM.

#13 MrPhotographer06

MrPhotographer06

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, NC

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:45 PM

spiral flow will help IMO.

Turndowns may help depending on the meter point.. V-band them and rotate to your liking. I had mine turned at 45 degrees on my GTO and it was louder in-cabin but quieter outside. In disappointment, I cut them off and left them straight back and got a noise violation lol

JAWZ LSTT 240z
Iron Block 5.7; LJMS TT Cam; Twin GT35's; Custom Log Manifolds 4L60e with TCI Paddles
Custom Double Wishbone Front Suspension; Custom 8.8 IRS, 4pt Roll Bar
At least that's whats in the works...- Cam

#14 JMortensen

JMortensen

Retired Admin.

• Donating Members
  • 12398 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

Emailed Scott, didn't want to call and take up his time since I wouldn't likely be buying anything from him. Looking online it appears that they use the Flomaster Hushpower which is too large a diameter to fit under the door of a Z.

I'm really torn on this one. I think the Spiral flow will help, but probably won't do it all on its own. I think any number of exhaust tip inserts would also help. Classic chambered mufflers would definitely work but they use pretty restrictive louvered cores. I know Super trapps would work, but I hate the idea behind them. I guess I have 6 months or so to figure it out. Going to go hit up some Cobra forums and see what they're doing.

#15 Tony D

Tony D

Wiki D

• Members
  • 9958 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:01 PM

Nobody says side pipes need to be under the rocker panels. they fit under the driveshaft  just fine and with a turn-down diffuse noise off the track  surface as well.

I run a truck  glasspack that is 4" OD and almost 36" long right under the driveshaft, and it goes to the muffler out back. It's very quiet and no significant dyno impact compared to the 3" pipe I had back there before straight.

Putting the  can on the back has a noticeable effect, but I could go with something less restrictive I'm sure.It's quieter than stock with both mufflers in place.

#16 JMortensen

JMortensen

Retired Admin.

• Donating Members
  • 12398 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:41 PM

If it were under the car, wouldn't that make it an under pipe and not a side pipe? ;)

The header collector is just in front of the door, so it's not going underneath. Could do that if I had shorties and then a single pipe out to the sides, but that's not the case. I do think you're right that if it dumped under the car it would be fine, and it's probably the reflection of the sound off the side of the car that makes it a problem.

Have been looking at longer glasspacks as an option. Classic chambered mufflers have a good rep for sound with the cobra guys, so that's kind of the front runner in my mind right now, but if I put a longer pipe on then I'll have to change the jack point on the side of the car, which is a bummer.

#17 socorob

socorob

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1015 posts
  • LocationNorthshore, Louisiana

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:08 PM

I hear some people have good results with helmholtz chambers. Some new cars even use them on the intake piping to quiet those down. They are supposed to be for drone, but was reading a post several months back where people said it quieted the car also,  apparently with no hp loss.

Edited by socorob, 29 October 2015 - 12:10 PM.

1978 280Z - LS1, Improved racing oil pan baffle, JTR Headers, Johns Cars Mounts, JTR intake - T56, MGW shifter-GM cruise control - Infiniti Q45 R200 diff - Techno Toy Tuning suspension with Konis front and rear - Vintage Air Compac - Z32 rear brakes - Q45 rear hubs - Lizard Skin sound and heat - 2003-2004 G35 wheels - 86 Z31 front hubs, Modern Motorsports rotor adapter, 86 Z31 front rotors, Toyota calipers - 2002 Miata seats ...in progress so far. http://forums.hybrid...to-ls1-t56-ttt/

#18 Tony D

Tony D

Wiki D

• Members
  • 9958 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:51 PM

You know, just a thought... you could route the exhaust dump into the cabin behind the seats.

It would probably make the car really, really quiet outside. You just wear helmet and plugs inside...

And you're getting sleepy....

Sleeeeeepy....

Probably works better on BMW, MB and VW's thoug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users