HybridZ
spitsnaugle

Ford 8.8 IRS swap v2.0

spitsnaugle - when you do have the time, could you give an overview of what you plan to provide in this kit, along with a list of items you plan on keeping standardized - like bushings, nuts, bolts, etc.

Also, have you come up with a plan for axles yet, so far the cheapest sounds like to use the explorer axles, have them cut down, then resplined for z31 outer joints (may be wrong about the specifics on that, just trying to give an example).

Would love to hear some ideas.

I dont remember if I said this anywhere but I'm very interested in coming up or helping with a design that will make it nice and cheap and easy for S30 people to get this done....and, ya know, to be able to handle lots o torque. 

spitsnaugle    2

spitsnaugle - when you do have the time, could you give an overview of what you plan to provide in this kit, along with a list of items you plan on keeping standardized - like bushings, nuts, bolts, etc.

Also, have you come up with a plan for axles yet, so far the cheapest sounds like to use the explorer axles, have them cut down, then resplined for z31 outer joints (may be wrong about the specifics on that, just trying to give an example).

Would love to hear some ideas.

I dont remember if I said this anywhere but I'm very interested in coming up or helping with a design that will make it nice and cheap and easy for S30 people to get this done....and, ya know, to be able to handle lots o torque. 

Due to slight differences in the Inner CV mounts between Cobra and Explorers -- I'm only looking at providing the mounting hardware. 

Axels, etc. is all up to you guys. I'll provide lengths based on what I use once I get my parts back from teamZmotors and can mount everything. 

I used the driveshaftshop's Ford Explorer 8.8 inner CV mount for 108mm or Porsche 930 CV joint. I think it was $500~ for the set. Numbers below:

108-FD-I-31  Ford Cobra to 930 Stub

108-FD-I-31-2  Ford Explorer to 930 Stub

The bushing mounts I'm having made are similar to ArizonaZ, TechnoToyTuning, and Whitehead, I dont know what bushing they use, but mine are based off of Energy Suspension 7.1102G. 

Edited by spitsnaugle

Neverdone    9

Good, getting away from Z31 parts is what we need to do. Every year there's less and less of them, so moving onto something else is a great idea. 930 CV's are insanely plentiful and can be found used on all sorts of vehicles.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your design would you?

spitsnaugle    2

Good, getting away from Z31 parts is what we need to do. Every year there's less and less of them, so moving onto something else is a great idea. 930 CV's are insanely plentiful and can be found used on all sorts of vehicles.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your design would you?

The rear: 

6qmnxnZ.png?1

IufkDPM.png?

I understand your wanting to get away from using Z31 joints, but are the 930 joints really that affordable?  I believe the weak point of stock 930 joints are the cages, so if you upgrade those, use explorer inner CV mounts and explorer axle shafts cut to correct length (resplined for 930 joints on inner and whatever widely available nissan joint you use for the outer/whatever hub you're using), wouldnt that be the cheapest route while still maintaining high torque capability?

Please anyone add their experiences as it sounds like spits has the diff mount part of it under control.

Edited by DeathByNissan55

Neverdone    9

Many BMW's use 930 joints in their CV axles. I picked up a set of E23 axles from a pick and pull which has two bolt on 930 CV joints for dirt cheap. 

Almost all dune buggies use 930 joints as well, so getting custom axles is actually as easy as it can get.

Loving the design of the bracket! Sandwiching it between the diff cover and the housing would require two gaskets, but you could run any cover you like...I'm a fan.

spitsnaugle    2

Hi all, I could use a measurement if anyone has Ford Explorer 8.8 differential from a 2007-2011. (or any others that has two front mounts)

My diff only has the front mount on one side, so I need the measurement of the distance between the two front mounts, (center to center) if anyone has calipers large enough to get that, I'd be super thankful! 

Neverdone    9

I'm assuming the mounting holes are going to go on those little tabs on the inside of the main bracket.

Seeing as you'll have to weld them on, could you also weld a gusset to the back of that opening for added strength?

I've attached a MS Paint edited drawing

post-12254-0-07056000-1484768820_thumb.jpg

spitsnaugle    2

I'm assuming the mounting holes are going to go on those little tabs on the inside of the main bracket.

Seeing as you'll have to weld them on, could you also weld a gusset to the back of that opening for added strength?

I've attached a MS Paint edited drawing

yes- those will have gusset plates, but just inside, past the mounting holes. 

zboi    0

spitsnaugle I'm very glad to see you doing this. I saw ZCD kit with the idiotic mount that bolts outside the cover requiring a new one and was wanting to make something exactly like you describe that sandwiches. Are you making a suspension upright too? I think that is the main thing to make the swap easy/cheap. I was wanting to do something like Will did but have it just use the explorer front hubs and not some Franken-dodge dealio.That way you could grab everything from a junkyard from one car, and then you can use the stock explorer CVs with just a shortened axle. Should be super easy and affordable.

spitsnaugle    2

Are you making a suspension upright too? I think that is the main thing to make the swap easy/cheap. 

Nope. My (re)design is avoiding interference the rear uprights. 

Is team z going to be supplying these? I'm about 3.5 hours from them and have a ton of their parts on my mustang. Good company who make great suspension for mustangs.

Answer and update:

Answer: likely not, since they dont have my car do their own engineering and testing for it.

Update:  I have a single run quote that they're working on right now for my test fit on my car,  then they're pricing me making 10 vs 20 sets.   Getting a little agitated getting direct answers in a timely mannor, I keep dealing with Sherri (wife of the owner and sales manager), I should really be talking directly with Dave the owner. 

Edited by spitsnaugle

Update:  I have a single run quote that they're working on right now for my test fit on my car,  then they're pricing me making 10 vs 20 sets.   Getting a little agitated getting direct answers in a timely mannor, I keep dealing with Sherri (wife of the owner and sales manager), I should really be talking directly with Dave the owner. 

Agreed. Owners name is Dave. He is best to deal with. They are always slow answering emais and returning calls. Please let me know if your require a deposit for a kit.

I tried adding you on facebook. Heres my page. https://www.facebook.com/Merrill.Ryan

spitsnaugle    2

PM'd you Spitz

PM replied. Measure for fuel cell at your stock dimensions, my diff swap will make no major difference there. 

Agreed. Owners name is Dave. He is best to deal with. They are always slow answering emais and returning calls. Please let me know if your require a deposit for a kit.

I tried adding you on facebook. Heres my page. https://www.facebook.com/Merrill.Ryan

Sorry I dont add folks on FB unless I've met them. 

wongboh    10

Thanks for picking up where Will left off.  I'm subscribed and definitely interested in the mount.  

I was planning on heading to the junk yard to pick up an explorer 8.8 diff and wanted to know how to easily identify the diff.  Information on the diff is posted on the sticker on the door pillar (http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm) under the "Axle" category.  

Explorer

43 Open 3200 3.08 
41 Open 3200 3.27 
42 Open 4.10 
46 Open 3.73 
45 Open 3200 3.55 
D4 Limited Slip 3200 3.73 
D2 Limited Slip 4.10 
L73 Limited Slip 3.73

Here's an example of a D4 unit with the 3.73 Limited Slip:

IMG_2783.jpg

I hope this is helpful.

Shawn

spitsnaugle    2

Thanks for picking up where Will left off.  I'm subscribed and definitely interested in the mount.  

I was planning on heading to the junk yard to pick up an explorer 8.8 diff and wanted to know how to easily identify the diff.  Information on the diff is posted on the sticker on the door pillar (http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm) under the "Axle" category.  

I hope this is helpful.

Shawn

Perhaps more reliably: theres is usually stamped metal tag on the rear cover (of most) ford 8.8 diffs.   Mine had 3L73 stamped on it, which translated to 3.73 limited slip. 

Edited by spitsnaugle

ladams17    1

I have one of Will's kits and was going to sell it a while back. Ended up keeping it and I'm glad I did because it is a great kit. I run a small company that already allows for me to be full time in the shop and I have tossed around with my fabricator the idea of producing more of these kits, exactly like Will's to allow for guys to swap the 8.8 into the S30. I realize there are more options now for guys then when I bought my from Will. 

From reading your thread it looks like you are heading down a little different direction with the design of your swap, if you are investing the capital into the engineering and manufacturing of this kit I give you my full tip of the hat, if you just wish you could get your hands on a kit like Will's I'd love to hear from you or anyone.

I am just testing the waters here but "if" I could produce the exact same kit for around the same price as Will's (1500) in a reasonable timeframe would anyone be interested in purchasing them? 

PM me or reply on this thread with your thoughts...

NC88    0

Ladams, I'm definitely in the market.  If Spitz makes a "production" run of his kit, I am in.  That said, I think anyone who makes a durable, straightforward 8.8 kit won't have a problem selling them.  Zcar is the only one providing kits right now (that I'm aware of), and the website shows Out Of Stock.