HybridZ

Alignment Settings

I get this quesiton daily. Assuming you've spent money and time building adjustability into your suspension AND are willing actually adjust then these recommendations make sense. Otherwise, take the car to Pep Boys, tell the tech to "Make it all green", and hope your tires last a long time.

Track/Autocross

For 225 to 245 width radial DOT tires try these alignment settings:

Front

Camber: 3 to 3.25 neg

Caster: 6 to 7 positive (even on both sides)

Toe: 1/8" to 3/16" out

Ride height: 5 1/2" to 6" measured at the front of the rocker outboard of the pinch weld seam.

Rear

Camber: 2.5 to 3 neg

Toe: 1/16" to 1/8" in

Ride height: 5 3/4" to 6 1/4" measured at the front of the rocker outboard of the pinch weld seam.

For tire widths over 245 try these alignment settings:

Front

Camber: 2.75 to 3 neg

Caster: 6 to 7 positive (even on both sides)

Toe: 1/16" to 1/8"" out

Ride height: 6" to 6 1/2" measured at the front of the rocker outboard of the pinch weld seam.

Rear

Camber: 2.25 to 2.5 neg

Ride height: 6 1/4" to 6 3/4" measured at the front of the rocker outboard of the pinch weld seam.

Street

Front

Camber: 1.25 to 1.5 neg

Caster: 4 to 5 positive (even on both sides)

Toe: 1/16" out or 0

Ride height: 6" to 6 1/2" measured at the front of the rocker outboard of the pinch weld seam.

Rear

Ride height: 6 1/2" to 7" measured at the front of the rocker outboard of the pinch weld seam.

For tire widths over 245 try these alignment settings:

Front

Caster: 4 to 5 positive (even on both sides)

Toe: 1/16" out or 0

Ride height: 6 1/2" to 7" measured at the front of the rocker outboard of the pinch weld seam.

Rear

Ride height: 7" to 7 1/2" measured at the front of the rocker outboard of the pinch weld seam.

Caveat Emptor: These are starting points for you and your car. Be ready and willing to change them based on your preferences and local conditions. These alignment settings might be a bit tricky in the rain and even trickier in snow or ice. Your tires will wear a bit faster then the stock alignment settings. If that's a concern of yours, stay with the stock numbers and don't ask me dumb quesiton like, "Well... how much faster will they wear?" or "How many miles will the tires last with the Track alignment setting?" If you're asking those questions you shouldn't be reading this thread. Go buy a Honda... :-)

• Like 1

For 225s through 245s I figured a tire diameter around from 23" to 24". For anything larger I figured a tire diameter around 25".

Guys, let's not burrow into detailed setups for cars with 285/35-18s, painted blue, with gold spinners, dirt tracked on Saturday, and driven to church on Sunday. The settings I posted above are general starting points and are meant to get someone close. From these starting points a person should adjust for their specific vehicle based on testing and driver preferences.

john, thanks:hail:much for posting these specs. once again, you prove to be a great resource.

may i add one little correction. the latin phrase you use at the end, i believe should be "caveat utilitor" for "user beware", not "caveat emptor" buyer beware...lol!

david

John, what about a bonneville flats speed car. Would you stick with the street setup or have different settings? Thanks

I believe it's completely different. My friend building a Z for LSR was telling me the specs a while back, but I sadly can't remember them. All I remember was run as much caster as possible but still allowed within the rules and your car.

The specs might actually be in the rule book for the salt flats.

Mario

Track/Autocross

Front

Camber: 3 to 3.25 neg

Rear

Camber: 2.5 to 3 neg

Hi John- looks like you're suggesting -.25 to -.5 more camber in the front. I lack adjustability, but do not lack a drill; planning to relocate the lca pivot for the camber.

What sway bars are you factoring in to those camber numbers?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Guys, let's not burrow into detailed setups for cars with 285/35-18s, painted blue, with gold spinners, dirt tracked on Saturday, and driven to church on Sunday.

Haha, I love stumbling upon these comments unexpectedly...

Thanks John and to everyone else who contributed their setups. Great thread!

• 4 weeks later...