HybridZ

240Z L28ET project

Oh boy, something to waste more time on the internet with!

Hey guys, my name's Corey. I've wanted a Z car for about 3 years now, but I think the obsession started many years ago when I first saw a 300ZX Shiro model as a small child... but that's not the point. The point is, I have searched long and hard and finally found myself a nice 1973 240Z, rust free and pristine enough for me. Since I never could decide which I'd rather have, a 240Z or 280ZX turbo, I decided to make the best of both worlds, with the now somewhat obligatory L28ET swap. Thus begins my swap thread and project blogging and whatever. I'll post progress as often as I have batteries for my camera. Since I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to Z cars, I'm also going to use this thread to ask a lot of questions, so I hope that all you L28ET owners can help me out!

Here's a list of parts I need for the swap:

L28ET (no, really?)...got one for $900 shipped w/ ecu, harness, accessories

Z32 5 speed transmission

bellhousing adapter

custom driveshaft (carbon fiber if budget permits...not likely though)

Fidanza aluminum flywheel, ARP flywheel bolts

Clutch Masters Stage 4 clutch

eBay short throw shifter

Arizona Z Car aluminum radiator

Arizona Z Car cast aluminum oil pan

NPR or eBay intercooler and piping

blow-off valve (still undecided on which type)

'75-76 EFI fuel tank or modded 240Z tank, larger lines, Walbro fuel pump

GReddy Profec B boost controller

non-EGR intake manifold

custom downpipe and 3" stainless steel exhaust

engine gaskets/seals: valve cover, oil pan, front/rear main seal, possibly HG

Let me know if I'm missing anything painfully obvious...

Anyhow, here's pics of the car:

Picture007.jpg

You get a cookie if you can guess what that shell is in the background!

Picture009.jpg

Picture010.jpg

And here's my engine, already started tearing off the unnecessary stuff:

Picture025.jpg

Picture023.jpg

And a couple other parts I bought: Fairlady mirrors, Datsun fender emblems (thinking of getting the Fairlady emblems instead), OEM battery hold-down, and MSA flares.... One of them was sacrificed to a botched project on an MR2, so anyone wanna sell me one fender flare? These won't be going on for a while because I need to focus on the engine swap and I also don't have wheels/tires wide enough to fit the flares, nor need for any until the engine swap is done.

Picture030.jpg

Picture027.jpg

How much did you pay for that Z? Looks in very good shape.

I paid $5,500. Unfortunately had to sell my super-rare '94 MR2 Turbo to afford it... (*wipes tears from eyes). I got it in Burlington, VT. It was restored in 2000ish if I recall; originally silver and I may choose to go back to that color eventually but for now, British Racing Green suits it quite well. It currently has an L26 with triple Weber 40mm carbs, but the carbs needed to be rebuilt and rather than spending silly amounts of money doing that, I decided to go turbo. I am sure gonna miss the sound of those Webers, though. They sound truly out of this world!!!

Selling it to you? lol PM me

Does anyone know what the deal is with the power steering pump bracket doubling as a block-off for a hole in the engine? Can I just dremel off the rest of the bracket that I don't need? Or better yet, is there any place I can get a plate already made?

So I took the turbo off last night, and the (according to the guy I bought it from) "rebuilt 0 miles turbo" looked like this:

Picture323.jpg

Picture322.jpg

Something's wrong with this picture...and the compressor wheel barely moved at all; I had to practically muscle it to move it, but that might be because it needs to be oiled.

Also, my engine was leaking pretty bad for a (also according to the seller) "rebuilt with 6,000 miles engine":

Picture324.jpg

So I guess I'll have to replace some gaskets at least.

Lastly, why didn't Nissan cover over this hole with the new fuel injected blocks? Now I gotta spend like $30 to get a block-off plate since I don't need power steering.

Picture325.jpg

Guest Joey f.

Shell in background= S13?

and this is going to be a great thread. I too am searching for a good condition L28ET to bolt in my '78 280Z. If you dont mind me asking, where did you find yours?

Is the shell in the background an FC RX-7?

Ding ding ding ding ding! You get a cookie! Like, from the website you're browsing....get it? Yeah, my gifts suck I know... But wow spot on!

I need to see what my options are for that turbo. If it's fixable I'll just do that and if not I'll probably look into the Z31 upgrade, in which case I'll probably try to use the Z31 ECU and....AFM is it?

Today was a day filled with good news! 240hoke is selling bellhousing adapters for the Z32 transmission to the L-series, and also has a lot of Z32 transmissions for sale so I can just buy a trans. from him and not worry about sourcing one myself and mailing the bellhousing back and forth! Also, I secured myself a '76 EFI fuel tank (from AZ so there's no RUST...holy crap!) and N42 non-EGR intake manifold. Bought a Fidanza lightweight flywheel today, too! I'm really pumped because thus far the biggest worry of mine was the fuel tank, because I've been searching and I didn't think I could find the right year tank so I figured I'd have to pay big bucks to get mine modified, but that has been lifted from my shoulders. Now my biggest worries are making sure my turbo is alright, taking care of the wiring (luckily I have a brother who's an electronics engineer), and getting the new fuel lines in.