HybridZ

New Dyno Numbers

MONZTER

A old friend of mine called me last week and said "Hey do you still mess with those old Z cars" I said "Yes, why do you ask" He goes on to tell me that he has a friend who works for some studio and does the sound clips for video games. Hey tells me that they are looking for a old straight 6 Z. I get the guys number, call him, and sure enough its true, he can’t tell me what studio, or what video game he is working on (secret stuff I guess) but after seeing a video of my car tells me he will pay me (yes pay me) $350.00 to hook my car up to a Dyno and record it. So I say OK.

Today I met the guys doing the recording, it was really cool. They took a bunch of sound clips of various things about the car. For example, opening and closing the door, the hood, the hatch. Putting the keys in the ignition, and pulling up on the parking brake, ect. He even did a sound clip of the rally clock I have in there.

When it was my turn, they hooked the car to the dyno and had microphones all over the engine and behind the car in various places. The operator / tuner took over and did some quick sound test / runs to check the car out. He said it was running lean over 4500, so proceeded to jump on my laptop and start tweaking my VE table for the Tec 3. He did a few more runs and got my AFR down a bit to 13.8 from about 14.5. They went on then to record the car starting, stopping, revving, and at a bunch of different RPM ranges.

So when it was all done he handed me the dyno sheet. My car made 231.5 HP at the rear wheels and 195.9 lbft of torque. Not bad for a 240 engine running pump gas, I think. I will post the charts later as there is some issues with the site that won’t let me upload pictures.

So my car is still NA (no I have not finished my turbo build yet)

Stock 240 block 1mm over with factory flat top cat pistons, balanced and shot peened rods, balanced crank.

Head is rather special as it is a N-42 with welded chambers to add quench and bring them down to 36cc with stainless swirl polished valves and my own port job (no idea what it flows) The cam is a MSA split duration.

The intake is something custom I built out of a stock intake, and it is fuel injected with 320cc injectors all controlled by a Tec 3r.

So the new score equals

231.5 HP at the wheels

195.9 torque

free dyno tuning session

My cars sound in a video game

$350 bucks in my pocket

not a bad way to spend a Sunday.

Here are some pics of my car

DSCN69611.JPG

newmotor240z.jpg

Thanks MONZTER

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's a pretty cool opportunity Jeff! Too bad they don't need a turbo car with 3" open pipes...

Lets here a sound clip/vid of your car

Watch 6:01-6:33. I was behind the camera there, it definitely sounds great in person, a nice high-revving L24.

That engine looks great and I know it sounds great too. I've listened to it while it was tearing up the autocross track, and you can definitely hear it coming. It sounds especially mean up top when the course allows a little more speed, and Jeff stays in it bouncing off the rev limiter.

Wow, those are impressive numbers for an L24! Rebello 3.1L strokers make around that at the wheels. Come to think of it, that is what the Bob Sharp CP 240Z (L28, E31, 13:1 CR, etc. etc.) made when we had it on a dyno a few years ago. It was raced by Paul Newman as a 280Z (has a 280Z rear tail light panel).

Its a "stock" Intake that has the runners welded externally, then extude honed out, so basicly none of the stock ID of the intake remains. Atleast thats what it looks like.

Correct, the intake was cut up and the plenum enlarged, the runners externally welded and straightened, as well as the throttle body being relocated. Oh ya 6 bolt flanges so it will bolt to an early head

here is it roughed out

050805_017.jpg

Monzter,

Was the idea behind the custom upper thermostat housing to let you fill water at the highest point in the system to avoid air pockets, or something else?

Great numbers btw. Amazing. What rpm did it make max power at?

Dave

Yep, thats it. Don't want any steam pockets in the head with the higher compression and pump gas

max power was at 7000 and still going. I have the rev limiter set to 8000. Because it was on their dime they did not want to blow anything up, so they shut it down at 7000. I think it had more. I will post the charts when we can upload pictures again.

Monzter,

Thats cool. It seems that 99.9% of Ls I hear about (maybe I have my head in the sand) peak well before 7000. Do you have a specific link to the cam from MSA you use?

When you say split duration, are you talking about the ``Stage VI'' or the ``Stage III'' (in/ex 304/318 and 270/280 respectively).

Also my little engine calculator: http://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/enginedesign/ indicates you're running about 10.6:1 static CR? Sound about right?

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I didn't see any CFD analysis on the existing intake in your album?

Dave

The cam is the 270/280 stage 3. I feel many people overcam our nissan engines and bleed off too much dynamic compression. Dynamic compression is what I feel is the trick to getting a pump gas friendly moter with higher compression (along with quench) to have a nice linear power curve. Compression sounds about correct. 1mm over sized with flat tops sticking out .015, 1mm head gasket. maybe a touch more CR than that

No CFD on the current intake, just some guess work. It has a bad zone about 3000 that I have to lean out and retard the timing a bit (less fuel burns quicker)

The cam is the 270/280 stage 3. I feel many people overcam our nissan engines and bleed off too much dynamic compression. Dynamic compression is what I feel is the trick to getting a pump gas friendly moter with higher compression (along with quench) to have a nice linear power curve. Compression sounds about correct. 1mm over sized with flat tops sticking out .015, 1mm head gasket. maybe a touch more CR than that

No CFD on the current intake, just some guess work. It has a bad zone about 3000 that I have to lean out and retard the timing a bit (less fuel burns quicker)

I'm starting to have doubts, please don't take it personally...

I have a friend who built a stroker with similar compression, had the head professionally ported by a good shop, tried changing cam timing and ignition timing and couldn't get over 180 whp with that cam on triple 44s. In fact I know several people who have bought that cam and changed it out because it's too small.

Have you ever had this engine dynoed before (on a different machine)? After finding out you're running the stage III cam, I'm thinking the dyno you were on might be a wee bit optimistic...