HybridZ

Matte or Semi Gloss finishes

cygnusx1

Has anyone done a Z in a matte color, NOT FLAT? For example Silver, Black or any other as shown below? What is involved with painting mattes/semi-gloss? Do they hold up well? How do you take care of a semi-gloss? I am really liking what some of the exotics are doing with semi-gloss.

STEALTH61of1.jpg

Matte-M5-2.png

CollLambo-136.jpg

BMW-Z4-Matte-Grey-6.jpg

LamboMatteBlue.jpg

Essen_mat_18.jpg

69.jpg

002zk8.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1

I am in the process of painting my 260 satin black. I'm using Kirker Hot Rod satin black. I have not put it on yet, but it is supposed to hold up to the elements without a clear coat. The pics are just of the car primered, the inside is dark metalic grey with clear.

post-2540-12669064848968_thumb.jpg

Dave, the matte silver on the first BMW in your post I think would look really nice on an S30.

I am in the process of painting my 260 satin black. I'm using Kirker Hot Rod satin black. I have not put it on yet, but it is supposed to hold up to the elements without a clear coat. The pics are just of the car primered, the inside is dark metalic grey with clear.

I'm going to have to insist that you make a pic-intensive build thread.

Has anyone done a Z in a matte color, NOT FLAT? For example Silver, Black or any other as shown below? What is involved with painting mattes/semi-gloss? Do they hold up well? How do you take care of a semi-gloss? I am really liking what some of the exotics are doing with semi-gloss.

You can use single stage color with a flattening agent to reduce gloss but most of the cars pictured probably are base/clear with a matte/satin clear. The bad thing about matte clear is your spray area pretty much needs to be an OR. With a gloss finish if you get any dust nibs you can sand them out and buff, can't do that with matte. It's just as durable as gloss but the repairability isn't so hot. There's a some other issues with satin clears and are generally regarded as a pain in the ass.

Alsa and PPG make something called a soft feel clear that is matte. It's supposed to be fairly forgiving, moreso that regular satin clear but like the name suggests it feels soft, kind of like a rubber ball. You can't spray it over base coat, it will delaminate. It has to be sprayed over a sanded 2K substrate.

Ahhhhh yes this is a very Interesting topic.There are multiple ways of getting These finishes.There are true FLAT colors for example just spraying basecoat on the car and there you have it no clear or what not but some basecoats still have sort of a slight gloss to them?does that make sense?There are a few companies making true random colores flats like Hot Rod Flatz i think?I cant imagine that these finishes hold up to well to the elements but i havnt tried them first hand.I think your best bet for a semigloss multi color choice finish would be to pick a paint code you like and mix it like a body shop would as a semi gloss color.An example is on older Mercedes benx bumper claddings....they are a true semi gloss and there are formulas for mixing this as a semi gloss and its super durable.For all you body shop opainters out there its like mixing an under hood color.Its not basecoat clearcoat but its semigloss.There are additives for the paint or dull clears you spray over the basecoat color.In my opinion if you just spray basecoat like silver over your prepare substrate it will look sweet but might not hold up.If you get bored one day and drive by a dealership with a ton of cars with their hoods up.....look closely at some semi gloss under hood colors...they are durable factory dull finishes!

jkgts1, is that one of the stamped "DATSUN" cut outs that were for sale on here that you shaved the rear with?

Some more pics on it would be great. Between that, the carbon ZG flares, and the satin black, your car is looking really good so far!

Yes that is the stamped cut out that was for sale by one of the members here. Yeah I am doing the satin black with various CF pieces for contrast, and so far I am happy with it.

IMGP0528.jpg

Dave, the matte silver on the first BMW in your post I think would look really nice on an S30.

I'm going to have to insist that you make a pic-intensive build thread.

I have a bunch of pics since I started the project a few years ago. Just never put anything up because it is not really anything out of the norm. By that I mean the things I have done have already been done by others, but if you like I can put some images up ;)