HybridZ

SR20DET 72 240z build

I would have to agree. I spent a pretty penny on suspension parts and getting the car running right. Initially I just wanted any fuel injection motor. KA or SR.. but everything worked out for the best and I ended up pulling my SR out from my S13 and selling the chassis to someone who wanted it. It was never my intention to building a big HP setup but it just happened that way. I must say though.. my engine work alone over shadows all of my body work, suspension, flares, rollcage, spoiler, T3 LCA's, brakes, etc... shy of being DOUBLE. But again, I never intended to spend so much under the hood.

But again, I never intended to spend so much under the hood.

Thaaaaaat's what she said.

Just trying to bring some lightheartedness back to this thread in case it got sucked up a bit.

I'd generally have to agree though. There's many other areas to spend money that can make most engine budgets cry. It's hilarious how many people just buy a S30 and throw a SBC in and expect great results... If more time were taken on all those cars getting the suspension and brakes sorted better the SBC powered S30 would probably hold more respect across the motoring industry, instead of just being a drag-crowd pleaser in many cases.

I've got the details on what I want to do with my S30 when it comes to suspension, brakes, cage, etc but I probably won't know what engine I REALLY want in the end until I get there. I might go through several before I'm happy.

Thaaaaaat's what she said.

Just trying to bring some lightheartedness back to this thread in case it got sucked up a bit.

I'd generally have to agree though. There's many other areas to spend money that can make most engine budgets cry. It's hilarious how many people just buy a S30 and throw a SBC in and expect great results... If more time were taken on all those cars getting the suspension and brakes sorted better the SBC powered S30 would probably hold more respect across the motoring industry, instead of just being a drag-crowd pleaser in many cases.

I've got the details on what I want to do with my S30 when it comes to suspension, brakes, cage, etc but I probably won't know what engine I REALLY want in the end until I get there. I might go through several before I'm happy.

Gollum,

I rode in a very basic Z at the track and it blew my mind. He's actually a ghost on the forums here. He's an instructor where I do my track days and he's running a VERY modest setup. Clean chassis, bolt-in cage, upgraded brakes and suspension, junk yard L24 w/ mikuni's that he got for a great deal. Nice sticky track tires and OMFG.. I was surprised how great his car did. He was a monster and it just blew me away. After seeing what the "right mods in the right places" really meant in real life; it became an eye opener. I mean.. I love my build but man.. I would love to build a "low(er) budget" car like that as my daily. I would love to get a 70's Skyline GT-R replica. like a converted GT-X and have that as a daily. That would be awesome!

So.. Finally, some updates!

I picked up a used block and crank for 250. I think it's a pretty fair deal.

Both the crankshaft and cylinder walls have surface rust on them. The parts were close to the coast and the owner hard the parts stored away in his garage. I'm sure with humidity like that it's bound to happen. Either way, a great deal and some polishing will clean them both right off.

IMG00330-20110812-2222.jpg

IMG00347-20110822-1339.jpg

IMG00348-20110822-1340.jpg

A shipment from BC came in today as well. I got new rods, pistons and cams in. I'm glad they arrived but at the same time the cost of buying parts AGAIN doesn't really make me all that excited.

IMG00349-20110823-1113.jpg

Also, the head came back from the machine shop and everything was peachy.. He feels that it was ok to reuse and the damage wasn't as severe as I had anticipated. He had to hot tank the head three times. I know I mentioned this before but here are some pictures.

IMG00337-20110815-1333.jpg

IMG00339-20110815-1333.jpg

Was the z you rode in a white 240? If it was he's my neighbor. I just bought his spare car and starting a build on it

That thing kicks butt

Very sweet build by the way. Keep up the great work. Bummer about your old motor.

If it's Bill then you got it. He's going to meet us at a HybridZ BBQ this Sunday. Maybe you two can carpool.. not sure how well you know him.

Know bill very well. I would but I am putting gears in my dads jeep. Then I am having a bday party at my place. I will be driving bills car for my first track day on sept 23. Can't wait. Once I get started building my z I wil start a thread on it. I am going to be doing what bill has done to his car plus roll cage. A built 280z motor. A lots of lighten to the car. Should be pretty sweet when I am done. Just need to finish my parts list and get some money set aside. Cant wait to see your beast back up and going.

VERY COOL! Well I'm sure I'll meet you eventually at the NCRC track days. I doubt I'll finish by the 23rd. So when she's up and running I'll definitely meet you and Bill out there. Glad to see that I'm able to find another HBZ member that is somewhat local.

Incase it might interest you, I have a motor I have to sell. All the internals and head can be swapped into a rwd block.

Sr20det u12

86mm bore

Je 8.5:1 forged pistons

Eagle forged rods

Cometic headgasket

Arp Main studs

Arp Head studs

Sr20ve head

Sr20ve oil pump

New Oem water pump

Gspec crank and water pump pullies

Custom steel cam gears

I'm looking for 1800 plus shipping.

Let me know if its something you might want to do to your z, VVL would be sick, I would do it myself but I think a I am shortly going after a 1000 hp RB build

Incase it might interest you, I have a motor I have to sell. All the internals and head can be swapped into a rwd block.

Sr20det u12

86mm bore

Je 8.5:1 forged pistons

Eagle forged rods

Cometic headgasket

Arp Main studs

Arp Head studs

Sr20ve head

Sr20ve oil pump

New Oem water pump

Gspec crank and water pump pullies

Custom steel cam gears

I'm looking for 1800 plus shipping.

Let me know if its something you might want to do to your z, VVL would be sick, I would do it myself but I think a I am shortly going after a 1000 hp RB build

Thanks for the info bro, but I'm all set here. I have everything you listed as far as parts but just different brands.. I was considering doing the vvl head but I'm too far in with parts to change it now. I have a full PnP on the head w/ valve train and cams.

I just dropped the block off to the machine shop Tuesday and expect to be back on the build soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going through Datsun/SR withdraw in Afghinstan....UPDATE (please :D )

Thanks for reminding me! I totally forgot.

I just got the motor back on Tuesday. Engine is good and cylinder walls looks awesome. I'm going to pressure wash and simple green the heck out of it to make it looks a new as possible.

Also the crank came back balanced and the journals are awesome and shiny. No pits on the journals either.

At this point I'm just waiting for my tuner to finish up his other projects and I'll be underway. I HOPE to be up and running in 2 months so I can make it to the track in November.

IMG00406-20110927-1647.jpg

IMG00405-20110927-1646.jpg

IMG00403-20110927-1645.jpg

IMG00404-20110927-1646.jpg

I wasn't sure if I mentioned that metal from the spun bearings got into the turbo as well and I had to get it sent out to get checked. Luckily it came back ok and they said that it didn't take on too much damage.

Hopefully more updates in a week or two.. but for now.. She says HI! LOL

IMG00409-20110929-1817.jpg

I was going back searching something and read this.. Who knew.. LOL! Cooling issues I DO have I guess

:(

Im running built sr20(Cp pistons, manley rods, port polish, headwork, gtx3071r etc) in my datsun and I had cooling issues all along, at joliet autobahn track(close to chicago) it overheated after 5 or 6 laps(jumped to 230F).

Not really sure what to do about it yet, I was going to look into it soon(ish)

What are You planning on doing as far as cooling goes?

Edited by MrPhean

Im running built sr20(Cp pistons, manley rods, port polish, headwork, gtx3071r etc) in my datsun and I had cooling issues all along, at joliet autobahn track(close to chicago) it overheated after 5 or 6 laps(jumped to 230F).

(I'm typing this on my iPad so sorry in advance if spelling is a bit off)

So what I'm going to do this time around is get a colder Mishimoto thermostat and oil cooler. I'm going to run the oil cooler in front of my intercooler.. not sure if that is going to be a bad idea or not.

Second, I'm going to drill holes in the side where the BMC and battery tray area so air can vent out of the high pressure areas to the fenders. I am hoping this will cool the ambient air in the engine bay and help out the turbo and my brake fluids.

Lastly, I'm planning on chopping the front radiator support area and just keeping the top support. The frame outline (looking at the front of the car) will be cut out to accomadate more air flow to the engine bay. Then I'm going to try to find a way to force all that air through the IC, rad, and oil cooler. Maybe cut some panels out of sheet metal and paint it with primer so it won't rust. I'm not that far yet so it'll develop as it moves along. I know BJHines did a badass setup but it seems a bit hard to reach him. If you see his thread on cooling (i think) you'll see his awesome setup.

I actually have an oil cooler, it didn't help a whole lot, my is installed behind the IC.

Few pics:

dgSRC.jpg

0bYR5.jpg

fficq.jpg

EmXUD.jpg

I think like You suggested I will cut the bottom radiator support. I know I need to get a bigger fan...and I already have colder thermostat.

After reading about other people having issues with cooling I'm a bit relieved that its more common and not just my bad luck.

So after all of my research I've come to the conclusion that SR's biggest enemy would be oil lubing and cooling. So I'm going to do anything I can to assist with heating issues and lubing of the motor. Spun main and rod bearings seem common for us. I saw the GTIR main journals that MazWorx does and was thinking about going it too. I lack the "know how" and don't want to try anything new with this build. Maybe next time when I do a SR23VET. We shall see......

If your car overheated or 5 or 6 laps in, your cooling issue is either something stupid, or your head gasket is going out.

The distance between the radiator and an sr20 in s30 chasis is incredibly helpful for lower temps