HybridZ

SR20DET 72 240z build

Haven't had time to post so I'll make this quick and dirty.

I got the oil cooler in and we didn't really have a place to mount it. I tried to fit it between my FMIC and rad but that just didn't work. I wasn't going to move the FMIC forward more because we just did the IC piping not too long ago. It was cheaper to just weld a bar across the top of the front subframe behind the rad. Not the best, I know but what's done is done. I didn't NEED it but since it was "free" I might as well add an oil cooler in there.

The lines that came with the oil cooler sucked. They were crimped on braided lines. We decided to get our own lines and use AN fittings instead. Notice the one red AN fitting? I thought I ordered everything I needed but a straight 90 deg bend wasn't good enough so I had to use an off colored one for now. I'll replace it later but I wanted this car running already. The oil filter looks like its close to the sway bar but it's just a bad camera angle. It's a few inches behind it.

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

I got a sweet gift from a buddy. Not sure if any of you are familiar with the Greddy GREX shift knob but I love it. Couldn't buy it brand new today even if you tried. Every page online that lists it would only email me back in a few days saying they couldn't get it. We'll lucky me my buddy had one brand new in box. Finish touches to the car!

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

I put everything else back on the motor and it was a wrap for the day!

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

Today the shop was open for us only. My brother worked on his track DC2, Boss on his Civic, one of the workers on his S13 and I worked on the Z. Street tires were put on, alignment, timing checked, checked for leaks, short drive on the road (YES! FINALLY!!) and a car wash to finish the day!

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

Not fond of instagram (more like instacrap) but my buddy sent me this and I thought it looked pretty cool.

IMG_0518.jpg

Last few things to do.. finish the hatch for the GT wing, brake ducts, front splitter, shroud/box the front to pass air through the FMIC and rad, mount up my wideband and oil temp gauge.

Also, very very sad news. The rear ZG flares.. total fail. That was the first thing done to the car 5 years ago when I knew nothing. I had them done and never really looked at it. But they ARE backwards. It's gnawing at me. I'm going to drill out the nutserts, weld the holes shut and make new ones in the future. The price if ignorance is always steep. The work was done in a small one bay shop years ago and it looked spot-on back then. Looking at it now I just feel silly. It's purely aesthetics so it's not going to hurt the functionality of the car. I'm going to TRY and not let it bother me too much.

The car was dyno'd today! Things went pretty well and I'm very pleased. The brand new clutch ended up slipping so I'll have to find something else. Apparently a stage 3 6-puck unsprung wasn't enough. My brother hates ACT and didn't recommend it but it came with a lot of stuff I got when I started the build. I still have my Clutch Masters stage 3 that I can put back in later.

a60ee475.jpg

JT240z15psi20psi.jpg

413 rwhp // 287 rwtq @20 PSI

344 rwhp // 236 rwtq @15 PSI

on pump gas.

AFR was at 11.5. We had it a little richer than usual because it'll be hot when I track it at the end of the month and my tuner would rather be a little safer.

Last time I tuned I only made 432rwhp at 25 PSI.. I'm very close at only 20 psi. I'll get the clutch issues resolved and run more boost after the motor breaks in.

I will go back and look at your build/turbo but those numbers sound great. I love mine with a T28 so those numbers should be fantastic. Glad it is on the road finally. Good luck and have fun BUT keep the shiny side up.

Where do those holes near the BMC and batter go to? Do they exit out to the side of the car's fender somehow? I've read about that as an option to exit air from under the hood but it seems like you'd need to create a lower pressure differential to get air in that area to actually exit out the sides. I've seen someone use Trans Am side vents which have a front speed bump on them possibly to help this out but don't know if it actually worked or not. Does yours exit the "trapped" air some other way? I've got a ZX that althought theoretically more aerodynamic than the S30 still makes the hood wobble from this high pressure under the back of the hood. It seems that the louvers near the front of the hood aft of the radiator make the most function but I don't like the way they look too much.

I'm also wondering what is too hot for the SR. At my last track day it seemed my oil temps maintained a steady 120ish celcius with the water about in the same ball park, but I didn't have any overheating indications. I didn't get a look at the EGT values, but they might indicate higher than most others since my probe is right by the exhaust port and not aft of the turbo. The highest I've seen there is during lean cruise at 1400ish Fahrenheit. This is a damn near stock SR.

Good luck and your car looks nice.

Where do those holes near the BMC and batter go to? Do they exit out to the side of the car's fender somehow? I've read about that as an option to exit air from under the hood but it seems like you'd need to create a lower pressure differential to get air in that area to actually exit out the sides. I've seen someone use Trans Am side vents which have a front speed bump on them possibly to help this out but don't know if it actually worked or not. Does yours exit the "trapped" air some other way? I've got a ZX that althought theoretically more aerodynamic than the S30 still makes the hood wobble from this high pressure under the back of the hood. It seems that the louvers near the front of the hood aft of the radiator make the most function but I don't like the way they look too much.

I'm also wondering what is too hot for the SR. At my last track day it seemed my oil temps maintained a steady 120ish celcius with the water about in the same ball park, but I didn't have any overheating indications. I didn't get a look at the EGT values, but they might indicate higher than most others since my probe is right by the exhaust port and not aft of the turbo. The highest I've seen there is during lean cruise at 1400ish Fahrenheit. This is a damn near stock SR.

Good luck and your car looks nice.

If look back maybe to the last page you can see the holes I drilled out. This all started when I was looking for options on how to release heat from the engine bay. I contacted BJ Hines and he said that vented the hood doesn't do much (since it's a low pressure are). His tests found that the sides are high pressure areas so putting holes there help vent more than cutting the roof. He cut his outer fenders and used the Camaro (or some other domestic car) hood vents as his fender vents. I looked at it and if air escapes my engine bay and moves under the car i'm fine with that. I didn't want to cut my outer fenders.

I don't have oil temp yet and that is on my list of things to get. But the water temp on the car was very high. almost 220F if I remember correctly. This time around I got a colder thermostat and oil cooler. Things seems pretty good right now. It was in the 60's this morning and during my drive to work the car's water temp never went over 155-160. I'm trying to get more solid info on what is good operating water temp and oil temp for the SR. Also what acceptable oil pressure is. As of right now I think my oil pressure is kind of high. It gets up to 95psi under load. I don't remember it being that high before? Kind of puzzled and after searching the web I got mixed answers.

Also I'm not sure I'm pulling EGT numbers. I was only concerned with intake air temp. haha. Maybe that's something I should look into as well. As it does serve as good info.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that car must fly like a bat out of hell. Great build!

Thank you very much. It's definitely a car from hell. LOL! So much headaches from the build but it's all worth it. I'll just enjoy it for now. Just got the GT Wing mounted and I'm working on a custom vented front end and splitter. After that I think I'll give it about a year or so before I move on to the 350z 6-speed and full megan coilovers with swift springs. This motor build is a bit overwhelming and my pockets are still hurting from it. LOL

Edited by itzgoten

• 2 months later...

I know it's been awhile since I've posted anything but here's a quick update. I finally brought the car home after being at the shop for so long. The demons to all of my problems was this machine shop I took it to. The head was never done right and I kept having issues. I tore it all apart since my last post one last time to have someone else check it out and the head was just not worth investing anymore. I bought a new head had it lightly ported and all of the parts put back on. I've been driving the car for 2 weeks now and she's all dialed in. I can't wait for the next track day..

Here are some pics of the head when it was cleaned out and assembled.

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

The pistons were scuffed up a bit so I had them coated and now they are good again.

IMG_0773.jpg

While all that was going on I got a spare hatch and mounted the GT Wing. This will be track only and I'll never have it on the street. I love what it does but a GT wing on a S30 just isn't too sexy.

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

I had a metal plate welded on the inside of the hatch because it was too flimsy and I didn't want the GT wing to bounce around. I got some Sparco clips and they seemed to do the trick.

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

A KA powered 510 came to visit so I decided to take a picture.

IMG_0551.jpg

I finally got around to getting a front bumper so I decided to put it on. Maybe I'll sell both of these and elect to get fiberglass ones later on.

IMG_0651.jpg

First time the car has been home in a LONG time.. It's been in and out of the shop and never really ran right till now.

IMG_0807.jpg

We took the car for a cruise to Santa Cruz and my buddy and I took our cars out. It's so damn nice to finally get to put some miles on her. Jesus, it felt like a long time coming.

IMG_0828.jpg

I probably won't have any update until November after the track day. Or when I finally get around to doing the 350z 6 speed tranny swap.

I love what it does but a GT wing on a S30 just isn't too sexy.

Heresy!!!!

Well, I must admit, it helps when it's coupled with huge flares like the YZ flares, and matched with a full fiberglass front end. Even helps when ya go the extra mile and do a full tube chassis, you know, just to help the wing feel at home. cool.gif

It's always good to see another Z, especially a HybridZ back on the road! Congrats!:twothumbs:

Oh, and as much as I'd love to see people with GT wings on driving on the street, my ideal plans for my car will be a basic spoiler in the style of the daytona coupe, set on a piano hinge so I can easily flatten it out for street driving, then ramp it up for track use.

Well, I must admit, it helps when it's coupled with huge flares like the YZ flares, and matched with a full fiberglass front end. Even helps when ya go the extra mile and do a full tube chassis, you know, just to help the wing feel at home.

Oh, and as much as I'd love to see people with GT wings on driving on the street, my ideal plans for my car will be a basic spoiler in the style of the daytona coupe, set on a piano hinge so I can easily flatten it out for street driving, then ramp it up for track use.

I would love to do all of that IF I had the option. Unfortunately, I am no Mark Rolston.. although I wish I was sometimes. Or at least have his kind of budget.. LOL

Interesting concept with your spoiler idea. I like the thought of it. Please take pictures when you have the final product. Anything adjustable on the fly is always nice.

I really wanted to go to the BBQ you had a few weeks ago but that very week I was in the hospital and didn't get out till a week later. Funny enough the Z was finished the day before the BBQ and I went in the hospital the day after. Now I have to wait another year to meet everyone. You guys doing any other events in the near future? Keep me posted!

• 2 months later...

Took the car to ThunderHill but the clutch couldn't hold up. I guess it's time to upgrade. I had a blast while I was out.. just wish the clutch didn't let me down. I'm going to upgrade to a twin-disc. Probably won't have any updates for quite some time.

Here's a short video at the track. Warm up lap and I got in 2 laps before the clutch started slipping.

On a different note. My buddy and I got a photoshoot with a local photographer and he took some stellar pics. I'll upload those when I get the hr-res pictures from him.

Nice driving Jonny!! Bummer the clutch gave you hell! Time for a twin or maybe a triple clutch.

For sure bro. I think I'm just going to let the car sit for the winter and get parts I need after. Holiday shopping and car parts don't get along and I won't have the funds for both at the same time. Haha. 

What's the progress on your Z? I haven't seen any updates recently.

Kids, work and the jeep has been keeping me busy. Starting back on the z this week.

Can't hate on that bro. Life first! I'm excited to see you get her up soon. Hopefully for the 2013 NCRC track day.

Oh yea, you ever sell those wheels/tires and tranny setup?

I wasn't able to get the high res pictures from the guy because he kept flaking so here are the pictures. Not as great but of well.

My buddy Toan and I got up at 4am to meet the photographer and did a shoot before the sun was up and some day time pictures. Never had the opportunity to do anything like this before and it was a great experience.

In no particular order I hope you guys like the pictures.

240z.jpg

240z2.jpg

240z3.jpg

240z4.jpg

240z5.jpg

240z6.jpg

240z7.jpg

240z8.jpg

240z9.jpg

240z10.jpg

240z11.jpg

240z12.jpg