HybridZ

SR20DET 72 240z build

I'm not too worried about the welds on the box since it's only going to have small spurts of air and oil (if any). I ran my other oil catch can for 2 years and barely had 2 or 3 ounces of oil in there.

That's true.

Sounds like fun...I am sure a lot of guys dont want to attend because they feel like their Z isnt finished (when will it ever be?) but thats not what is about I am sure if you brough a newly bought rust bucket you would be welcomed with open arms and a lot of advice (if asked :P)

I am about to pull the hubs off of my car to install my longer studs so I can true my wheels...WISH ME LUCK!!!

So I have the breather box installed and we made some -10 lines to fit with 90deg fittings. It doesn't look too bad. I just need to get hose separators so they don't rub each other over time. Not too high on the importance list but it'll get done sooner or later.

IMG00253-20110625-1637.jpg

IMG00254-20110625-1637.jpg

IMG00255-20110625-1638.jpg

Here is the firewall battery terminal.

IMG00258-20110625-1819.jpg

I called SCCA today to make sure what I'm going to do isn't against any regulations they have because I plan on running the car in a Time Attack series next year and they gave me a thumbs up. The battery is a "dry" battery and isn't combustible so I'm not too concerned. I'm still going to try and find a way to mount it without being in the way..

Also I had to drive 2 hours north to pick this up.. It'll be a project for the car during the winter. I plan on doing a 350z 6speed conversion! It'll be sweet to have a 6 speed in this car. It can hold more power so it'll be less likely to fail on me at the track. The input shaft for the tranny is broken so he sold it to me for $100 with less than 10k on it! It cost almost that much just in gas alone. :x

My brother called for a new input shaft and it'll run me less than $180 so either way this tranny is a steal.

This will be a fun upgrade once I get everything all together.

IMG00257-20110625-1813.jpg

Pshhhh I would be happy with just a 5th gear :P

I'm banking on the fact that stock SR tranny WILL fail. It's good up to about 400hp thenthe gears turn into Ritz crackers. And I love Ritz and all.. just not inside my tranny. The 350z holds about 300hp/300tq (at the crank) stock on a much heavier car.. So I'm going to pray to the automotive gods that this will mate well with my higher hp but lighter setup will be a good match. I figure the 350z only breaks it's tranny because all that torque and heaviness of the car. Let's hope I didn't waste my money.. :unsure:

And for those who didn't know. The automotive god is Bomex. you know.. the old body kit company back in the 90's.. LOL.. ok maybe a bad joke.. but I still love their slogan.

39882197_72969f1949.jpg

I'm banking on the fact that stock SR tranny WILL fail. It's good up to about 400hp thenthe gears turn into Ritz crackers. And I love Ritz and all.. just not inside my tranny. The 350z holds about 300hp/300tq (at the crank) stock on a much heavier car.. So I'm going to pray to the automotive gods that this will mate well with my higher hp but lighter setup will be a good match. I figure the 350z only breaks it's tranny because all that torque and heaviness of the car. Let's hope I didn't waste my money.. :unsure:

And for those who didn't know. The automotive god is Bomex. you know.. the old body kit company back in the 90's.. LOL.. ok maybe a bad joke.. but I still love their slogan.

39882197_72969f1949.jpg

Awesome quote, almost as good as "All your base are belong to us."

This is so frustrating. We put the car on the dyno last night and had to make a base map from scratch. The car performed well but it's NOT making any power. We checking timing, compression, leak down and everything checked out almost perfect. The stock SR20's are running heat range 6 plugs. I'm running 8's in hope of high boost... but doubt that is the culprit.. at this point we have no idea..

We're only testing at 15psi (which I made 250rwhp and around 250tq average on my old setup) and now I'm barely making 220hp and not even 200tq.. My brother is going to check the head tomorrow to make sure everything checks out.

As this point I'm just bummed. I have a race on the 9th and I'm not sure if the car will be ready in time.

What a hectic week! I've been doing 16 hour (8 hrs of work then straight to the shop) days and working through the weekends to do everything in my power to get this car up and running. I'm embarrassed to say but it was "user error" on this build and I missed one key component that totally destroyed my motor. SR20 FSM's are readily available and I did as much as I could with the research I did online and I overlooked the SHIM BUCKETS! Total utter failure. I feel like an idiot for making such a simple mistake. In short.. I wasn't getting full "stroke" on the valves and not making power. I destroyed my valves and retainers.. I had to dig deep and get new valves and valve train.

Since I had to do that I just upgraded (some more).. I got +1mm over sized exhaust valves and dual valve springs instead. No pics this time because we were just haulin' ass to get this back together. Only 2 more days till the race.

I'm going to dyno tonight so we'll see how she looks.

On the bright side.. she made full boost at 3500rpm when she was broken.. turbo lag won't be as much of a concern as I had initially worried about.

So I finally got to dyno the car and get everything dialed in. Car ran great and sounded awesome! Everything was smooth and we had no issues.

I know someone is going to ask so I might as well explain.

The motor still isn't broken in and we're running it very mild. He had the timing stay the same throughout and barely even worked the turbo. The graph shows for itself that I've made very linear power and could make a lot more after the block is broken in.

91 Pump gas @ 20PSI and relatively stock timing.

IMG00276-20110707-2029.jpg

JT240z.jpg

My tuner says the entire setup isn't even being pushed hard. He wants to have me drive it for a little and break everything in. I'll get the mid-range torque I'm missing and get closer to 500hp. I would hope for numbers closer to 500hp and 400tq. I'll enjoy what I have now and see how things go in a couple of months.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooiiiice!

Wish my VG crap could go to 8k...

Very nice, truly amazing what that "little engine" can do.

Thanks guys.. I race tomorrow so I'm just glad the car didn't blow up and made decent power. I've been trippin' balls and glad the dyno is finally over. Getting the final touches today and hopefully I'll have some videos to share after this weekend. B)

AURGH! Anything that could have went wrong on Friday did.. I was wrenching until 7PM when we loaded the car on the trailer. The Z kicked ass when it was out there.. passing/lapping everyone on the first session. However, there were MAJOR cooling issues. I need to work out a radiator surge tank, oil cooler and fender vents for the Z. I'm going to try and find a way to make the fender vents like BJHines to see if that'll help any. Also, I found out they used a OEM thermostat! So sad.. so I found an aftermarket Nismo one that opens at 145deg opposed to the OEM ~170deg..

this is BJHines's car.

beforefire.jpg

and the bad news.. on the 2nd session I spun a bearing on the 2 or 3rd lap and that set me out for the rest of the day. I was so bummed... and worst part.. I went back to review the video footage of the first run... NOTHING!! The damm camera didn't record crap.. I was trying out the new Coutour GPS camera that tracks GPS, speed, elevation and maps the car on google maps.. FAIL.. should have stuck with the good old HD camcorder I was using..

well back to the drawing board. It was a great shakedown and I learned a lot. Also met a fellow HybridZ member out at the track. He's a lurker but has been on this forum for years! He was an instructor and took me for a couple of laps. Nice to see other Z's out there kicking ass..

over all a bitter sweet weekend.. big learning experience on what I've built and now we'll take from that and learn.

Here is the only video footage I was able to scrap from my uncle and brothers camera..

Edited by itzgoten

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know the possible cause of the bearing failure? That is bitter sweet. Very sweet to shake down the Z with the new setup but motor failure always sucks. I hope you get everything sorted out soon man.

Thanks for the support. I haven't looked at the cause of the issue yet. But from the sounds of the motor and how it's acting it can't be anything else. I had to undergo some surgery for some personal things so I've been at home recovering. I'll be back on my feet in no time and I'll post updates on what I find.

Absolutely sick build. Really sorry to hear about your troubles - I'm sure it's a huge bummer.

Excited to see you back out there, though!

Thanks a bunch! Take it easy!

Sorry to hear about bearing. Hopefully the crank isn't scorced. What weight oil were you using on the track day?

Also any info on those cv/axles? I'm interested in getting some if the price is right.

I need to find out if it's the crank bearing or a rod bearing. When I find out I'll let everyone know. Either way I picked up a spare block form a buddy and I'm going to send that to the machine shop. If the crank is scored I'll be pissed! That crank was sent out and balanced with my clutch and flywheel. It's completely perfect so that would suck big time!

And the cv/axles... depending what you consider cheap. Retail is 1500 and I got it for 1300.. but my setup is good for 700whp which I need because I plan to make that much HP in the future. I know they sell a cheaper 300hp setup for maybe 700? But if you think about it.. you get STI stub axles, axles and CV joints.. WIN, WIN, WIN if you ask me..

The axles are from The Drive Shaft Shop.. my brothers shop is an authorized dealer so I got them ordered from his shop.

The car kicked ass at the track and it hooked up real well. I do not regret spending on the $$ on the rear end at all.

BTW, I ran 7's for my spark plug heat range with 1000cc injectors, modded Full-Race GT3567R, built SR. 6's are colder than you really need.

Matt,

I'm running 7's too. And for what I plan on boosting it seems like I'll be in the right heat range.

What kind of numbers were you running with that setup? I really liked the Full-Race manifold but too bad it didn't work for my setup. I ate a crappy restocking fee when I had to have it returned..

Hey itzgoten, you and your buddy with that blue S30 didn't happen to be at Infineon Raceway a year ago in June where you? I was attending the Sonoma Classic races and got pics of two really nice S30's that sure look AWFULLY similar.... If that was you I'm quite disappointed I didn't get a more detailed look at this WONDERFUL build of yours.