HybridZ

SR20DET 72 240z build

Meh, that wing isn't so awesome looking. You should throw it in the trash in Vacaville at the downtown public library located on Kendel St, say around 3am tonight.... wink.gif

Glad to see an update. Keep them rollin'.

Gollum, I dropped off that wing in the trash like you said.. :lol:

So when is the next get together? Sorry I couldn't make it last time but seems like Toan won his "pretty car award".. Damm that guy and his sparkley car. LOL

We're working with NCRC to rent out an entire run group. My buddy decided to have a track day as his bachelor party. I will have to give other people rides already unless I get in on another run group. Bill needs to clear me for Open group anyway so that might be a possibility. We'll see when the time gets closer. Would you have another car drive or maybe even Bill's car if he goes? And if you could tell Bill also. Would be nice to meet up with him again.

Anytime there is a driving school at the NCRC at Thunderhill Bill will be there. He is an official instructor now. I got the time off so I will be there. I won't be driving Unfortunatly unless I can race the Jeep. LMAO!!! That would be a sight!!

Gollum, I dropped off that wing in the trash like you said.. :lol:

So when is the next get together? Sorry I couldn't make it last time but seems like Toan won his "pretty car award".. Damm that guy and his sparkley car. LOL

Soon. Gonna start the planning when the preggo wife pops, which should be in about 2-3 weeks. I'm going to really ramp things up. Doing the yearly meet down where we've had it before on the backside of the oakland hills near orinda, and then i'll be doing another even up in sacramento for something new. And if I can i'm going to try to get a track day put together for later in the year. Hopefully it all works out.

But yea, toan's car IS beautiful. It's SO beautiful when the two of your guy's car were at infineon last june I hardly noticed your car... icon_redface.gif

You gonna make it out for the historic race this next June? If so we should actually hook up. My brother and I go every year.

Soon. Gonna start the planning when the preggo wife pops, which should be in about 2-3 weeks. I'm going to really ramp things up. Doing the yearly meet down where we've had it before on the backside of the oakland hills near orinda, and then i'll be doing another even up in sacramento for something new. And if I can i'm going to try to get a track day put together for later in the year. Hopefully it all works out.

But yea, toan's car IS beautiful. It's SO beautiful when the two of your guy's car were at infineon last june I hardly noticed your car... icon_redface.gif

You gonna make it out for the historic race this next June? If so we should actually hook up. My brother and I go every year.

Please keep me posted and message me. I don't check the forums too often and tend to miss out on things. I'll try to make it to the historic race if my car is running. I'll let Toan know as well.

I always give him crap about his car. I tell him he's only good parked. Haha. But please let me know and I'll tell Glenn (spitz) and Toan so we can all make it out.

I had some time last night to go to my brothers shop. We torqued the head down and got the lifters, rockers, cams and water pump on. Things are looking good. I hope this means my motor will be dropped in and tuned very soon.

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Among other news. Glenn (spitz) brought over a Watanabe RS wheel so I could see how it'd look. 15x11 -38 offset. The thing was TOO MUCH. I'll probably go with a 15x8 or 15x9 with around -22ish offset

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

The biggest issue I see with a 15 x 11 is that tire OPTIONS are just so slim. Even wider tire selection at the right wheel height for a 16" rim is slim, which is the whole reason the rota group buy happened. With those rims you have many options of cheap, affordable, decently appropriate height tires.

The wheel was just me dreaming big. Always wondered what a wheel like that would look like and it was obviously too much wheel for me. Hahaha. It's nice to dream though. I'm probably going to do a 15x8 or 15x9 all around. But wheels are the last thing on my list. Power, aero & functionality before aesthetics.

I spent some time at my brothers shop and we got a few more things done. He mainly did all the work though. When I got there the cam gears, timing chain, modified s15 oil pump, crank pulley was already put on. I helped him with the upper oil pan, baffle and pick up tube. We also got some freeze plugs and had those put in. Not much longer before she finds her way on the city street again. I can't wait!

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG-20120419-00131.jpg

I think I'm going to drill the holes on the side of the car tonight near the battery tray and BMC area. Help bring down the engine temp.

Some updates. Just small things here and there.

I drilled out some holes on the side where the BMC and battery tray was to help with cooling. More holes near the BMC because that is the hot side of the engine bay.

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

Also spent some time drilling out holes in the spare hatch that I got. I'll sand it down later but I wanted to figure out the holes for the GT wing before I started.

IMG_0150.jpg

My brother finished up the motor and put it in the car.

Jensen is his assistant.

engine01.jpg

Since my car has been down for so long they wrote Z's all over it. I guess it makes sense.... haha

engine02.jpg

engine03.jpg

1 Dog Power!

engine05.jpg

Motor in

engine08.jpg

Tranny is in

engine07.jpg

Turbo & intake manifolds are on

engine06.jpg

Lastly, When I took the car out the the track last time I picked up about 4oz's of oil in my breather box. I decided to baffle the valve cover this time.

valvecover01.jpg

valvecover02.jpg

valvecover03.jpg

Just a few more things! Yes!

I'll hang onto those Wat's if they need a good home ;)

Honestly I think they'd be too big for me too, but damn if I wouldn't try. I couldn't even fit 15x10 -25 under regular flares, but I have some BAMF flares on deck.

I think the widest 15in tires I saw when I was shopping for a set to match my wheels were 235 Toyo R888's.

I'll hang onto those Wat's if they need a good home ;)

Honestly I think they'd be too big for me too, but damn if I wouldn't try. I couldn't even fit 15x10 -25 under regular flares, but I have some BAMF flares on deck.

I think the widest 15in tires I saw when I was shopping for a set to match my wheels were 235 Toyo R888's.

I wish I got the BAMF flares in the beginning. But I'm stuck with what I have for now. The wats were a test fit and I only had 1 wheel and it wasn't mine.

Just some other small things finished up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on getting the car fired up this Saturday before my birthday. But if not, no biggie. I don't want to rush anything and cause myself to take two steps back.

I had the front cut for some more cooling.

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

We also modified the breather box to accommodate more air flow.

modifiedbreatherbox.jpg

Jeebus, why did you cut such huge holes! I'm not sure what you're planning, so I'll let you explain.

If you're just going to leave big holes in the sheetmetal there, you're short-circuiting the radiator. Air will go around the rad, not through it. Take a look in the windtunnel sections, people usually try to close up the front, not the other way around. I hope you have big vents somewhere to release all that pressure that you'll be building under the hood. Maybe you have a good plan for it...

Jeebus, why did you cut such huge holes! I'm not sure what you're planning, so I'll let you explain.

If you're just going to leave big holes in the sheetmetal there, you're short-circuiting the radiator. Air will go around the rad, not through it. Take a look in the windtunnel sections, people usually try to close up the front, not the other way around. I hope you have big vents somewhere to release all that pressure that you'll be building under the hood. Maybe you have a good plan for it...

Thanks for the concern and you are absolutely correct. I am going to box the front and channel all of the through the FMIC and radiator. My intake sits behind the radiator so I am going to fab something on the front passenger side to bring air to intake. Something like brake cooling ducts.. I did make holes near the BMC and battery tray to relieve the air if you scroll up a bit and look at the pictures. Also heat was a big issue with this setup so more air is good. Especially on the BMC side. I want to bring down the temp as much as possible so I don't boil my fluids.

Hope what I explained makes sense to you.

EDIT: I just saw your post and see that you know Glenn. I know him too and he's seen my car before this huge build. You should visit the shop some time.

Edited by itzgoten

Thanks for the concern and you are absolutely correct. I am going to box the front and channel all of the through the FMIC and radiator. My intake sits behind the radiator so I am going to fab something on the front passenger side to bring air to intake. Something like brake cooling ducts.. I did make holes near the BMC and battery tray to relieve the air if you scroll up a bit and look at the pictures. Also heat was a big issue with this setup so more air is good. Especially on the BMC side. I want to bring down the temp as much as possible so I don't boil my fluids.

Hope what I explained makes sense to you.

EDIT: I just saw your post and see that you know Glenn. I know him too and he's seen my car before this huge build. You should visit the shop some time.

If I have it right, the hole in the passenger side will be your intake and the hole on the driver's side just admits air into the engine bay? Not a great idea, IMO, but I suppose you can try it. Just watch coolant temps and see if you have a lot of front-end lift at high speed. You'd have to have substantial engine venting to not cause a bunch of lift or at the very least your hood bulging/flying open.

I do know Glenn, and of course wouldn't mind stopping by the shop! I assume it's in SJ. I'm not in the South Bay often but PM me and I'll try to stop by sometime. ;)

I doubt I'll have issues. I'm running dual 2800 CFM fans on a bigger KOYO radiator and lift will definitely not be an issue. Both vents are going to lead to the intake acutally. I'm running a massive intake and want a lot of air there. If I could have the intake up front I would have done that.

And I'm just putting this out there (not to offend you) but I get the feeling you haven't really went through my thread. I appreciate the feedback and will consider it if I run into issues. But last time I was out heat was a MAJOR problem. I need as much air passing through as possible.

SHE'S ALIVE!! Everything was put together and she is finally up and running. It's my birthday tomorrow and the shop surprised me with a gift as well. So I got an early birthday present and I was able to fire up my car. A guy couldn't ask for anything else!

I got to the shop on Friday and this was on the table.

IMG_0391.jpg

I open it up to only find my OLD rear LCA's in there. So what does that mean? I ran to the lift and lifted up the car to see these beauties in the rear..

T3 rear LCA's! The footwork of my car is FINALLY completed!

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

The fluids were topped off on the car and I got to fire up the car!

IMG_0389.jpg

Car idling

I spent today putting on the fenders, buckets, cowl and hood.

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

Edited by itzgoten

If I have it right, the hole in the passenger side will be your intake and the hole on the driver's side just admits air into the engine bay? Not a great idea, IMO, but I suppose you can try it. Just watch coolant temps and see if you have a lot of front-end lift at high speed. You'd have to have substantial engine venting to not cause a bunch of lift or at the very least your hood bulging/flying open.

Just to revisit this.. check out this picture of the Rocky Auto front end. And if you know Rocky Auto they are S30 geniuses. They have a wide open front end.

RB30S30-170.jpg

Whole article:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/05/old-meets-new-rocky-autos-rb30-powered-fairlady-z/

Edited by itzgoten