HybridZ

1970 240z Build Thread (Warning! Lot of pictures)

Hey guys my names Austin, I'm only 15 and been lurking for a long time as you can see by my join date. My older brother actually was the one who bought this last year for $1k as his own project, but now I guess its turned into my own as I've put more time into it than he has. I haven't done much at all because school is always getting in the way of working on the car and I have no money. There is always another problem with the car after I fix one so this might take a while. Also look for more updates as school's almost over for me. Ok enough talk here are some pictures.

The first day at her new home

Photo0037.jpg

Photo0041.jpg

Then I started tearing out some interior the next day only took a few hours as it has nothing interior wise.

Photo0062.jpg

Photo0065.jpg

Photo0063.jpg

A few months later I picked up this perfect dash and a 280z hood for a surprisingly great deal. The dash is also for sale.

Photo0083.jpg

So in March of 2011 I started working on it again, I bought a front and rear strut bar from some guy in Tacoma

Painted it black

Photo0711.jpg

Photo0713.jpg

Started polishing the valve cover but never did quite finish. I plan on redoing it when the car's in for paint.

Photo0712.jpg

Photo0714.jpg

Started Sanding the car down just a week ago.

Photo0707.jpg

Photo0725.jpg

P050611_1754.jpg

P050611_1754_01.jpg

P050611_1754_02.jpg

P050611_1755.jpg

Started to primer the car Monday but Wal-Mart ran out of black primer so now I'm waiting for more.

P060611_1938_03.jpg

P060611_1938_01.jpg

P060611_1938.jpg

P070611_1830_03.jpg

P070611_1830.jpg

P070611_1829_02.jpg

P070611_1829.jpg

And a few of my older brothers car

Photo0495.jpg

Photo0493.jpg

Photo0594.jpg

Photo0760.jpg

Photo0761.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys it's a keeper for sure.

sweetleaf - yes I know but I won't be going in for paint till July-August this is just temp. It's sanding primer though I still have a couple things to do on the body.

I'm also looking at some Watanabe's my brothers good friend lets hope I can get them for $500, I'm also looking to upgrade my suspension but don't know what to do.

Any tips?

A lot of 240z have problems with the fuse box. Msa sells a plug in replacement with newer style fuse I'm sure u can get one somewhere else. Yea I know what u mean about the high school thing no money I use to be there it will come in soon time for u . You can get a pretty penny from that dash and find a nice zx turbo for cheap and swap it in . Just a though for easy cheap power.

The Msa fuse box is what I plan on getting a little later on in my build, but my wiring is kind of messed up there are a lot of loose wires that don't connect to anything. My dad and his friend are supposed to help me out on the wiring. High school...I'm just happy my older brother can fund this car for me right now. I'm stuck on either fi or n/a can't decide what I want maybe a vq35 swap?

Awesome. And to think if a 15 year old could post correct size pictures, the rest of the hybridz community could too! Thank you, I thought I was going to have to brake out my wall projector!

Is your brother cool with you putting all the work into it? Is the expectation the car will be yours?

The car is more of a family car my brother, dad, and I share. In my family everyone drives each others cars.

He's fine with me putting work into it as he is giving me funds right now, I have to put the money he gives me to a use on something he would be happy about you know.

Man thats awesome! I wish i could have scored a 240 for my first Z! Nothing but rusted out ZX's around here. Although I did make out pretty good for my first and second Z's costing me an initial $600 haha both ran after 2 hours each. But still.... thats going to be one rockin 240!

Looks like a solid project. What's the VIN on it? Don't know if you know it, but that's an early car.

Also impressed that you have some command of the English language, which seems to be rare amongst today's 15 year olds.

Edited by rturbo 930