HybridZ

Opinions - Just picked up a '72 240 - Hybrid or stock?

My sons and I just picked up a '72 240. Engine pulled, newest PO was having it rebuilt. Machine work is done, needs to be reassembled. My oldest son has a couple of RB20's and our first thought was: sell the L24, swap in an RB engine...

Then we unloaded everything.

Turns out the chassis and engine numbers match. It's a 240, an Arizona car so it's pretty light on rust, body is good, interior is not. PO did some body work and paint that didn't turn out stellar (but that's our specialty, so who cares). The original paint was: 113 Green Metallic. I don't necessarily like that color, but you don't see many of them.

What do you think?

Put the original L24 back in it and return the color to stock? Keep it restorable?

Or, Engine swap and update the color?

Well if this was Zcar I would say bring it back to life like it left the factory........... BUT this is HYBRIDZ!!! Sooo, I say MOD it to get what you want out of it, keep the L block around for the slight chance you want to go back.

Enjoy your time and car the way YOU want.

Great find and Pics are a MUST!!

Since you have knowledge of the other motors, I say swap it. Do a sleeper, make it look all original but have it be a beast on the inside. Its your car you do what you want to it. People who make opinions are never the ones who are trying to buy it. This is just my opinion on the subject. good luck to you and your build. :2thumbs:

I have my 260, my youngest son has his 280 (and we just finished body and paint on it - turned out awesome). This Z we picked up as a shop project. We want to get it running, make the body and paint near perfect. I don't know long we'll keep it though.

My oldest son, who runs Sakura Garage, already is working on '68 Datsun Roadster, a '71 1200, and his 240SX drift car... So, I don't think he'll want to keep it.

Do whichever you think you will enjoy more. Do you enjoy driving a car hard and having fun with it, or do you like to have a car that you can appreciate to look at and go pick up some groceries with. Or do you want something in between.

This would happen to be the blue one on CL the other day for 500 bucks?

Either a restoration or a hybridz will be a money pit. Both will be pricey, but at the end of the day, the stocker will retain "value" longer. If the Series I Z I've been throwing money at for the last 6 or 7 years had been a numbers matching car, I would have gone for a full on restoration. As it is my choice has been an "era correct" look with a Chevy truck engine as motive power.

If I were starting today, my personal take would be a stock body and interior with any one of the later DOHC I6s around with essentially a track suspension and a great stereo. Then, drive it.

G