HybridZ

Rota Shakotans.... anyone running them?

Hey guys, these are available in offsets of -10 and -15 as well, why not just do that instead of running spacers?

Don't want them to pop out of fender on stock suspension without flares yet. Not sure if that offset would work perfectly or stick out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly Shakotan related, but I picked up a staggered set of Aleicas, 15x8 -5 in the front, and 15x9 -15 in the rear.  They are going on the car this week with some 195/50s.  The tires are already mounted, we'll see if I need that much stretch to make the rear fit as I have a good amount of camber already dialed in.  

Will post pics to let you guys know how the negative offset works out.

Edited by mal_tiempo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The car has eibach lowering springs for the time being, I plan on purchasing coils in the next few months. The rear didn't require a spacer, the front however needed a 1/4" spacer to keep the tire off of the perch. As for the tires, they are 225/50/15's.

• 1 month later...

Well my XXR's were stolen while the car was in winter storage. Thinking of replacing them with these in 15x9, 0 offset, and 225/50R15's. The car is currently on stock strut housings, though I have a set of megan coilovers to be addapted after autocross season. Does anyone know if these will clear the Toyota 4 pots, or any other 4 pistons calipers? I've got a pair of 5mm spacers laying around, which it seems are necessary for the fronts.

Edited by m1ghtymaxXx

• 2 months later...

So I've been running these in the 15x9 et flavour with 5/16" front spacers and 225/50R15 Falken Ziex 912s. They came with the tires mounted and balanced, though the balance was a bit off on arrival. Before a long road trip I had a friend re-balance them. They ended up coming out much worse, which he attributed to the fact that the inside of the wheel is dish shaped, meaning weights set towards the outside end up closer to the hub (presumably increasing the weight by a certain factor should fix this?). I had them balanced for a 3rd time yesterday and it's still terrible. Has anyone else had similar issues? I would guess Aleica's are prone to the same thing. 

8794806654_9cd7cb2ccb_h.jpg

So I've been running these in the 15x9 et flavour with 5/16" front spacers and 225/50R15 Falken Ziex 912s. They came with the tires mounted and balanced, though the balance was a bit off on arrival. Before a long road trip I had a friend re-balance them. They ended up coming out much worse, which he attributed to the fact that the inside of the wheel is dish shaped, meaning weights set towards the outside end up closer to the hub (presumably increasing the weight by a certain factor should fix this?). I had them balanced for a 3rd time yesterday and it's still terrible. Has anyone else had similar issues? I would guess Aleica's are prone to the same thing. 

Thats wierd. Sticky weights? Try using hammer ons and / or static balancing them

Me either. I was referring to the back side.

Gotcha, the problem seems to be the inability to apply the weights near the outside edge, at least not without having them close to the hub. I've never balanced a wheel, but I can only guess the guy balancing them might need to get creative and factor up the weight if he's putting weights towards the outside of the wheel. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Could anyone say something about clearance to strut body (with stock or coilovers) with the 15x9et0 - perhaps a picture or measurement? I'm wondering how wide of tire I could go on a set. After much digging I've seen some reporting success running that size wheel on stock suspension so I take that to mean I have a fair amount of room to play with.... all the watanabe sizes give the same inner clearance as a 15x9-12

im on tokico illuminas and ground control coilovers. no rub at all and my fenders aren't rolled. i could go lower but it just wouldn't be practical for me.

Could anyone say something about clearance to strut body (with stock or coilovers) with the 15x9et0 - perhaps a picture or measurement? I'm wondering how wide of tire I could go on a set. After much digging I've seen some reporting success running that size wheel on stock suspension so I take that to mean I have a fair amount of room to play with.... all the watanabe sizes give the same inner clearance as a 15x9-12

I have the setup you describe on my 77. The fronts require spacers, I started with 5mm but clearance was too close for comfort so I stepped up to 5/16"/8mm. This requires longer studs, I used 240SX. The rears fit with around 10mm to spare. Note that this setup will poked beyond the fenders a fair bit, though tire selection forces you to run a tad bit of stretch (widest available 225). I have never had any rubbing with Eibach springs and Suspension Techniques sway bars, and and that includes many spirited runs on very bumpy roads. 

Pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87466467@N04/8794806654/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87466467@N04/10524677024/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87466467@N04/9292558362/

Oh man, thanks immensely for the pictures and the input, just what i needed. If you're saying you could 'barely/almost' fit with stock spring perches, then I should have whatever room I gain from coilovers for tires, which I think should be just enough. There are options that are over 225, although not many (R888), and most are slicks. 235 R888 should be pretty square on a 9, a bit much for an 8.

I've actually been using that one picture of your car sitting still from the front as a main determinate in this decision (whether to go with 8s or 9s with big tires on stock fenders), and now just added every pic in your flikr account, haha. definitely seems like 0 offset is the way to go for equal strut and fender clearance.

i think (or am hoping) that setup should result in something just about like this: http://www.cliffshade.com/350zr/images/040911-1236-41e.jpg