HybridZ

Got a referee ticket lmao!!!

RS Speed

The problem you will find is that the court system will put a hold on your registration until they get notification in some way(ref signing it off). So DMV will put the registration on hold and your current registration will be invalid as well until you jump through the hoops.

Is this from first hand experience?

Im in San Diego. I'm telling you first hand experience from a 1975 280z with an RB25DET Series 2 swap. I was written up for modified exhaust and intake by the CHP like 2 years ago. I never even went to the ref. So unless by going to to the ref that caused some sort of problem, which I don't think it would, you should be ok doing what I did. I was able to reregister it without incident following showing the court that I put the car on non-op status.

I have some experiance with the Ref and DMV system. The short answer is, YES by going to the Ref, the Ref should have flagged the vehicle VIN number in the DMV database. This is where the registration of the car becomes in question.

If your car never went to a Ref station, I can see how the non-op line would work. Non-op the car, show court non-op status, clear ticket, go to DMV to transfer back to operational status. No Ref inspection required, because the age of the vehicle will prevent the DMV from flagging the vehicle for smog inspection.

Now by going to Ref, he flagges the VIN in the DMV database. The DMV will now require the Ref to clear the vehicle before the DMV will do anything.

In my case, an engine swap, the car was registered when I went to the Ref. He indicated the swap was not correct. He flagged the VIN number with the DMV and the DMV pulled the registation. Until I get a Ref to clear the DMV database, I am unable to register the car.

As other have said, there might be legal ways around this, incomplete/incorrect inspection by the Ref, possibly others.

Im in San Diego. I'm telling you first hand experience from a 1975 280z with an RB25DET Series 2 swap. I was written up for modified exhaust and intake by the CHP like 2 years ago. I never even went to the ref. So unless by going to to the ref that caused some sort of problem, which I don't think it would, you should be ok doing what I did. I was able to reregister it without incident following showing the court that I put the car on non-op status.

DId you have to pay the fix it ticket or, by doing what you did were you immune from paying the ticket as well?

I have some experiance with the Ref and DMV system. The short answer is, YES by going to the Ref, the Ref should have flagged the vehicle VIN number in the DMV database. This is where the registration of the car becomes in question.

If your car never went to a Ref station, I can see how the non-op line would work. Non-op the car, show court non-op status, clear ticket, go to DMV to transfer back to operational status. No Ref inspection required, because the age of the vehicle will prevent the DMV from flagging the vehicle for smog inspection.

Now by going to Ref, he flagges the VIN in the DMV database. The DMV will now require the Ref to clear the vehicle before the DMV will do anything.

In my case, an engine swap, the car was registered when I went to the Ref. He indicated the swap was not correct. He flagged the VIN number with the DMV and the DMV pulled the registation. Until I get a Ref to clear the DMV database, I am unable to register the car.

As other have said, there might be legal ways around this, incomplete/incorrect inspection by the Ref, possibly others.

what car was this for?

exactly,

Yes this is from first hand experience with a SBC in a pre inspection Z.

Im not positive on the non-opp thing, but I do not think that is suppose to work that way, at least its definitely not suppose to work that way the way the law is written. My guess is that someone did not follow the proper steps somewhere and that particular vehicle fell through the cracks. The Ref isnt the only one that will flag the VIN. The court system(where the ticket originated from) should be flagging it as well in the MVR. So when the ticket is processed it is entered into the system as well I believe but could be mistaken. Once the ticket is signed off, you show it to the judge and the registration is cleared from the courts end.

Once the ticket is signed off you are responsible for the court/processing fees and will have to pay those, but the infraction fine is lifted if I remember correctly. It works like a fix it ticket at that point. Fix it and the fee is reduced, but not eliminated.

Edited by rayaapp2

so in short we may have screwed ourselves by going to the ref... either way, I'll just wait and see what happens, got too much going on in life to even worry about this. I barely drive the car and I'm honestly ready to sell it at this point anyways.

[vulture] how much? [/vulture]

Not to muddy the waters, but it was for my Kenmeri Skyline. Ref dinged me for a non-USDM block, as I put all the smog equipment from a 280z on my 2 liter JDM block. In the end he told me to swap in a complete 2.8 liter F54 block and he would sign it off.

Edited by ctc

I got one on my V8 swapped Blazer from the CHP near Culver City along with a speeding ticket...got every extension possible, fought by trial by written declaration (lost) and then did a "trial de novo" (new trial)...showed up to court and CHP officer didn't... :D $800+ back in the bank on that one. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

update? I'm interested to know what I might be facing if I decide to go the swap route with my '78. I'm wondering if I swap in a v8 with all the factory smog equip and passes sniffer even though it's a 78 will it be legal?

I drove a swapped sr20det 240sx for 5 years got popped once but chp only mentioned my pepboys air filter.

Edited by Dee